hello need help - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 01-07-2010, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

View rookie76's Photo Album My Photos
Question hello need help

I have a interest in woodworking and would like to start sum projects and i' am a little overwhelemed on what i would need to do basic projects, i do have sum tools but far as power tools for a new workshop i need help

thank you
rookie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-07-2010, 04:40 PM

View wfahey's Photo Album My Photos
Hello Rookie.

What kind of projects are you thinking about taking on? You said powertools for a woodshop. Do you have a tablesaw, circular saw or any kind of saw?
Gives a little more to go on and we will be happy to help you figure out some tools to get you started.

Bill
San Antonio, TX
post #3 of 11 Old 01-07-2010, 05:04 PM

View I Make Mostly Dust's Photo Album My Photos
Hello Rookie

My first project was a breadbox. Rabbeted joinery in red oak. We still use it every day. My second project was a heavy woodworking bench with a laminated maple top. They were both pretty easy and fun, and helped me to get to know my tools.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-07-2010, 10:55 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Current tools

Give us an idea on what kind of tools you have and we will be glad to help ya out. (don't let the wife see this, it really means help ya to buy more tools )

Of coarse if your wifie is like mine, tools are not an issue, as long as they are productive for a honey - do once in a while.

Tools are like guns, You can never have enough.
Where did I put that tape measure???
post #5 of 11 Old 01-08-2010, 06:45 AM

View CDN_Maple's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Sawduster View Post
Of coarse if your wifie is like mine, tools are not an issue, as long as they are productive for a honey - do once in a while.
I seem to find the need for a new tool whenever she gives me a project she wants done. So far it has worked....but she may be catching on as my shop is filing up.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-08-2010, 07:47 AM

View garryswf's Photo Album My Photos
CDN,
My wife quit giving me things to do around the house cause she know it will require a new tool!
post #7 of 11 Old 01-08-2010, 09:11 AM

View Dusty82's Photo Album My Photos
I'm lucky, in that I married a woman who knows that tools are an investment, rather than an expense. I've yet to hear a complaint when I've bought another tool - mainly because she knows that about 75% of what I build is something she's asked for.

Welcome to the forum, Rookie. Just about anything can be done with hand tools given enough time, patience, and practice. Having said that, if I were to thin out my shop to just one big power tool, I'd have to say that my table saw is my most important tool. Using that logic, it would also have to be first on my list to buy if I were just starting out.

If you have a couple of projects in mind that you'd like to build, consider taking a class or two at your local community college. Classes are reasonably priced, they usually have a decently equipped shop, you'll have an expert right there to help you, and you'll get real hands-on experience with the tools. That'll go a long way toward helping you to decide what tools you really need to get and what tools you'd like to have, but can actually wait.

That's how I got into upholstery. I got a deal on an industrial sewing machine that I couldn't turn down, and took some classes to learn how to use it.

“It’s what you learn after you already know everything that counts.” –Chip Foose-
post #8 of 11 Old 01-08-2010, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

View rookie76's Photo Album My Photos
Question thank you

I do have a drill circular saw and some handtools , i also found the fine woodworking site and found a couple of projects to do i need a workbench and i found a plan, and small box plan .

thankyou
rookie76
post #9 of 11 Old 01-09-2010, 10:56 AM

View I Make Mostly Dust's Photo Album My Photos
You can do the projects you describe with a circular saw and hand tools. A bench is a great tool in itself. Please post your photos as you go. I'd Love to see 'em.

May I suggest that you check the circular saw platform and fence often and keep it square to the blade. A friend of mine called one day because he was having trouble truing up the edge of a door with his skill saw. He squared the blade to the saw platform, but the platform was so bent he could not keep the saw flat on the door surface, and his cut was all over the place. Turns out there was recall on the saw.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-09-2010, 05:31 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Winnerwin

Welcome to the forum. From Texas of coarse.

Tools are like guns, You can never have enough.
Where did I put that tape measure???
post #11 of 11 Old 01-10-2010, 11:14 AM

View Burnt_Blade's Photo Album My Photos
Hi rookie, sent ya a pm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode