Hello from Maryland - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 07-23-2008, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
weekend warrior

View Sabres78's Photo Album My Photos
Hello from Maryland

My name is Shaun and I live in Maryland, near Baltimore. I'm new to the forum and thought I'd say hi. I'm also pretty new to woodworking. I was given a few power tools for my birthday, but until recently haven't used them for anything more than hanging a board on a wall for a shelf. I just finished what I would call my first project last weekend. It is a clock I made for my dad's birthday. It is far from perfect, and I have a lot to learn, but it was great fun to build and I know he'll love it. I can't wait to give it to him this weekend. I've already learned a lot from browsing this forum and I'm looking forward to reading more, and for my next project!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-24-2008, 12:28 AM

View top's Photo Album My Photos
Hello from Maryland the names is TOP i also live in md the eastern shore i no you will learn a lot on this forum have fun , by the way that is a nice looking clock

"THE SHOP OF TOP"
post #3 of 12 Old 07-24-2008, 12:32 AM
Curmudgeon in Training

View Geoguy's Photo Album My Photos
Shaun, that's a darn nice clock for a newbie! Good Job! Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of knowledgable craftsmen (and craftswomen) on this site. If you hang around here, you can't help but learn something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-24-2008, 08:27 AM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Shaun, welcome to woodworking, and to woodworkingtalk.com

Man that is the way to introduce yourself to a woodworking forum, with a finished project! That appears to be a very well executed project, your dad is going to be proud of that.

You didn't ask for any but I am in the advice-giving mode this morning haha. My advice to any new woodworker is to DO NOT neglect to spend a s much time learning all about the various finishes and finishing techniques early on. Charles Neil said that "Your finishing work should begin before you ever start building the piece" or something like that.

What he was saying was, when you are building a piece and have decided all the particulars of that piece, you then choose the type of finish you want, and every other aspect of it. Where it will be used and how. If it for a customer or yourself does not matter, but you want to experiement with the wood you are using with several different finishes to make sure you are going to like that finish on that species for that application.

Thast is some of the wisest advice I had heard and I like to pass that on to young woodworkers, because 9 out of 10 woodworkers neglect to adequately educate themsleves about finishing. My hand is raised high. I had been resolving that weakness over the last couple years slowly, but seeing one of his finishing videos gave me a little more motivation to kick it up a notch. I still have much to learn of course. It will make or break the project.

Okay my unsolicited advice is "finished".

Last edited by TexasTimbers; 07-24-2008 at 08:30 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-24-2008, 07:43 PM

View woodworks's Photo Album My Photos
Sabres78

Welcome to the forum.

Nice clock you have there. You'll find out that around here we love pictures, so please feel free to post them of any projects you have going.

And don't worry about TexasTimbers, he goes off like that once in a while. After he takes his medication, he will be back to normal in no time at all.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-24-2008, 08:37 PM

View crafter1956's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome aboard.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-19-2008, 11:11 AM

View alex45's Photo Album My Photos
Hi there...
I am Alex from Maryland..
I am also new to this community…
I believe I will get some new experience here…
I feel very happy to be with you all…..

Thanks,

====================
AleX

Maryland Drug Treatment
post #8 of 12 Old 08-19-2008, 04:43 PM

View justintime's Photo Album My Photos
hi there i'm justin from MO and i'm new to this forum i have been into wood working for about a year and a half
i love making pens and whatever else i have an idea to try
post #9 of 12 Old 08-19-2008, 11:27 PM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
Welcome to all of you. Geoguy said it all. This is a great place to learn and share knowlage.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #10 of 12 Old 08-20-2008, 11:30 PM

View chevyll_1967's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to chevyll_1967
Hi Shaun,Very nice looking clock. I made afew myself yrs ago 2 with swinging pendelums have to dig out my photos and get them downloaded also.I been involved in woodworking since highschool many moons ago and have taught 4-H woodworking during yrs my kids went thru 4-H. Yeah you'll learn alot on here special types of tools to purchase everyone has an opinionated advice on what to purchase and thats not bad deal. welcome from chevyll
post #11 of 12 Old 09-09-2008, 12:42 PM

View themechanic007's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to themechanic007
Nice clock!! welcome another marylander here-Mongomery county....
post #12 of 12 Old 09-09-2008, 07:09 PM

View diamond willow's Photo Album My Photos
HI also new to this wonderful forum. And they are right it is a nice looking clock for your first time making one good job.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode