Hello, Looking for person to share space in Brooklyn for woodworking - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 02-08-2017, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

View wiremonkey's Photo Album My Photos
Hello, Looking for person to share space in Brooklyn for woodworking

I've found a fantastic small space, 13' x 20' for a woodshop near 53rd St. and 2nd Ave. in Brooklyn. Lots of light from a wall of windows! I have a ton of tools to get things rolling: Table saw, band saw, drill press, spindle sander, router, scroll saw, dust collection and blower and tons of hand tools including a full hand plane set, etc. i can also bring in a lathe and jointer/planer in the near future.

I'm looking for someone who wants to share a private space to do some light woodworking. The cost of the space rental will be around $400 each, which includes utilities. There is a freight elevator, new restroom, heat, etc. Available as early as Feb. 15th, 2017.

Please contact me if interested at [email protected].

/Users/tylercartner/Pictures/Woodworking/shop.JPG
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-08-2017, 10:45 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
That is $36.92 per sq ft per year. Seems rather high even by NY standards. Just what would you do that would make the space worth that much?

George
post #3 of 9 Old 02-08-2017, 11:04 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
That is $36.92 per sq ft per year. Seems rather high even by NY standards. Just what would you do that would make the space worth that much?

George
I think you doubled the price somewhere. It does seem high to me too. The space isn't a lot bigger than a mini warehouse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-08-2017, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

View wiremonkey's Photo Album My Photos
Howdy folks,
Thanks for the replies. The actual rent is $650 a month. I factored in plausible electricity and gas, which would bring it to about $800 a month total. The massive bank of windows provides fantastic lighting, which is particularly appealing to me for a woodworking space and is fairly unique compared with white wall spaces I've been seeing in my searches. I've been looking for spaces near the water, not Bushwick, for a while now and one must keep in mind that this is Brooklyn, not Florida or anywhere else for that matter, real estate prices have to be compared apples to apples.
If you live in this area, $400 a month for private access to an outfitted woodworking space is entirely reasonable in my opinion. Please contact me if interested.
Thanks,
Tyler
post #5 of 9 Old 02-08-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I think you doubled the price somewhere. It does seem high to me too. The space isn't a lot bigger than a mini warehouse.
$800/260 sq ft = $3.076923076923077 per sq ft per month.x 12 months -$36.92307692307692

George
post #6 of 9 Old 02-08-2017, 04:30 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Not many folks here from Brooklyn...sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiremonkey View Post
Howdy folks,
Thanks for the replies. The actual rent is $650 a month. I factored in plausible electricity and gas, which would bring it to about $800 a month total. The massive bank of windows provides fantastic lighting, which is particularly appealing to me for a woodworking space and is fairly unique compared with white wall spaces I've been seeing in my searches. I've been looking for spaces near the water, not Bushwick, for a while now and one must keep in mind that this is Brooklyn, not Florida or anywhere else for that matter, real estate prices have to be compared apples to apples.
If you live in this area, $400 a month for private access to an outfitted woodworking space is entirely reasonable in my opinion. Please contact me if interested.
Thanks,
Tyler
I agree with you, especially in Brooklyn which may be very expensive real estate. You would do better on Facebook, other social media, or Craigs List OR a Woodworking Guild newsletter.

I used to belong to this Guild:
http://michiganwoodworkersguild.com/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-08-2017 at 04:34 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-08-2017, 06:49 PM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
It costs at least $400 a month just to park your car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 Old 02-08-2017, 09:10 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Call me a prude, but I ain't sharing my tools with someone I don't know.

Who knows, you could come to the shop one day and find it empty!
post #9 of 9 Old 02-09-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
Call me a prude, but I ain't sharing my tools with someone I don't know.

Who knows, you could come to the shop one day and find it empty!
Or find him/her lying dead on the floor with a chopped off hand and having bled to death. Think of the nice lawsuit that will bring.

George

Tags
share, space, workshop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode