Hello from LA ( that's lower Arkansas) - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 12-16-2012, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

View dennywmcc's Photo Album My Photos
Hello from LA ( that's lower Arkansas)

Hi everyone, my name is Denny
I live in the big city of Warren Arkansas. I Whittling a few years ago after seeing some wood carvings in Branson Mo. I've made a few Christmas ornamiments, self elves, barn animals, and a few spoons

Recently I got interested in pen making. So I got a slimline starter kit from amazon, and turned them out on my dad's bench lathe. Well I decided I needed to get a wood lathe, so I got a cheepo harbor freight one. I'm hoping it will last till I can do better.

My first 10 slimlines came out ok, but nothing spectacular. In the mean time I ordered some bolt action pens from psi that caught my eye. I had the first 5 I ordered sold before I got them here. Since I've sold another 20, and can't keep up with the demand. For blanks I've been using cocobolo, walnut, and deer antler. One blank I made from an old broken gun stock that I'm pretty sure was walnut to. Deer hunting is a religion here, so those pens are making great gifts for hunters.

At this point I'm wanting to start expanding my repertoire. I'd like to make some small bowls, plates, and stuff like that. In fact my next project is a baby rattle for a new great niece

I do have a quik question. In the past, when drying green wood, I would cut into serviceable pieces. Then seal them in paper sacks in the garage. I have found some pieces of spalted pole wood, maple and oak. How should I handle drying it? Will the paper sack method work there to?

I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions for you guys, as I have been overwhelmed since canonballing into the world of turning. Until then I will be perusing the forums seeing what I can glean.

Wishing all of you a Merry Chirstmas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Making sawdust in MS

View rayking49's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome and a merry Christmas to you also. I'm sorry I can't help answer your question, but I bet someone in woodturning or milling can.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-17-2012, 09:51 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-19-2012, 10:43 PM

View scootch's Photo Album My Photos
Seasons Greetings, and welcome to the forum

Mark from VA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode