• 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By difalkner
  • 1 Post By Tool Agnostic
  • 1 Post By Tool Agnostic

post #1 of 7 Old 04-01-2019, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Green but learning...

View ChappyEight's Photo Album My Photos
Cool Hello from Indy...

Long Version: After many years of off and on time working with different wood projects, the wife asked me to build a dining table for our new home and at that moment I was exposed as the hack woodworker that I truly am. So, in order to save face and maintain some shred of manly dignity, naturally I tore off into the world of YouTube and Google to delve deeper into the craft with which I've flirted for years but to whom I've never fully committed.

Short Version: The wife wants me to build a dining room table. I put it off because I have no confidence in the minute woodworking skills I possess. Here I am.

With the "why I'm here" out of the way, here's a brief bit more about me. As of this post, I'm in my late 30's with two youngin's and a great wife. I'm heavily involved with my local church, love to golf, am a lawn care nut, and now aspiring to get back to the woodworking that tantalized me while in college in the early 2000's. I'm an architect here in Indianapolis and, as such, typically overthink most any project I attempt.

A veteran of many online forums for different hobbies and topics, I'll do my best to use the infamous search button whenever possible but, admittedly, sometimes I post when I don't have the time to search.

Looking forward to lurking around here and, if you get a chance, go have a look at the dining room table advice post I'm going to be putting up in about 20 minutes... as soon as I can figure out which forum is most appropriate for the post.

- Chappy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-01-2019, 11:02 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If you look at the project as a whole it might look like a daunting task. Try looking at the table you wish to build one piece at a time and ask yourself if you think you could make that part. It will usually will look a lot easier that way. It's very possible you might have to buy some tools to do it but at least you have an excuse.
ChappyEight likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-01-2019, 11:05 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum, Chappy! We do like photos so show us your shop, tools, projects, etc. whenever you're ready.

David
ChappyEight likes this.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-02-2019, 12:23 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Chappy! Welcome to WoodworkingTalk!

Many people learn woodworking from YouTube. It isn't my style, but if you like YouTube, pay attention to all the safety mistakes that people make, and try to avoid them. Anyone can post a video on YouTube, but it doesn't make them an expert, or particularly skilled for that matter.

A great resource for me has been the local woodworking club. They are full of people who want to share their knowledge and experience. They are also aging out of woodworking and looking to sell their power tools. Hopefully there is a decent club or two in the Indianapolis area.

I like to learn from books. Another great resource for me has been the public library. Most libraries have good books on woodworking. Old books are nearly as good as new ones.

Regarding your dining room table and getting started in woodworking:

Here is a great book that gives you the designs of most types of common furniture. The exploded views show you how every kind of furniture is made and assembled, down to the joinery. The drawings are amazing in both clarity and the level of detail at the same time.

There is a chapter on dining tables and another one on occasional tables. Highly recommended:

Illustrated Cabinetmaking: How to Design and Construct Furniture That Works
by Bill Hylton
ISBN: 978-1-56523-369-0
ChappyEight likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-02-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Green but learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
Hi Chappy! Welcome to WoodworkingTalk!

Here is a great book that gives you the designs of most types of common furniture. The exploded views show you how every kind of furniture is made and assembled, down to the joinery. The drawings are amazing in both clarity and the level of detail at the same time.

There is a chapter on dining tables and another one on occasional tables. Highly recommended:

Illustrated Cabinetmaking: How to Design and Construct Furniture That Works
by Bill Hylton
ISBN: 978-1-56523-369-0
What a cool coincidence. I had actually ordered that very book on Amazon not more than 2 hours before you posted this! Thanks for the advice.

Chappy

Architect professionally, golfer wannabe, theologian by grace, woodworker by... well... nothing yet.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-02-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Green but learning...

For the sake of cross-reference, here is the dining room table post I promised above.

Chappy

Architect professionally, golfer wannabe, theologian by grace, woodworker by... well... nothing yet.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-03-2019, 02:29 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChappyEight View Post
What a cool coincidence. I had actually ordered that very book on Amazon not more than 2 hours before you posted this! Thanks for the advice.
You're welcome. Great minds think alike ... or idiots seldom differ. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChappyEight View Post
For the sake of cross-reference, here is the dining room table post I promised above.
Yeah, before I wrote my note, I looked at your post count first. It was still "1", so I knew that you were still working on the new thread. By the time I got my post done, you had already posted your second thread.
ChappyEight likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode