Hello and Help Needed of Course - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By CharleyL

post #1 of 12 Old 09-07-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

View wjfeeney@hotmail.com's Photo Album My Photos
Hello and Help Needed of Course

Hi All,
Finally decided to do a little woodworking and bought an older Craftsman table saw model 315228490 and a 8" Jet jointer/planer. I contacted Searspartsdirect.com to get some parts for it but it is too old I guess. Anyone have an idea of where I could get:
motor mounting plate (can make one if not)
belt cover
blade guard, riving knife and anti-kickback pawls which are all really wanted
and also the wider plate so I could use a set of dado blades

Really appreciate any suggestions

Thanks,

BillF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-08-2019, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

I apologize as I really didn't offer much as a way of introduction. I'm 71 and have been retired for 9 years now since selling my RV park. My three main hobbies are roasting coffee, woodcarving and shooting pool although since moving into our new house only had time for roasting coffee as that is a "must feed" habit. I have wanted to get into woodworking for some time and decided to finally give it a go.

Thanks again,

BillF
post #3 of 12 Old 09-08-2019, 07:50 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum, Bill!

Show us some photos of your work when you get a chance.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-08-2019, 10:15 AM

View Scrappile's Photo Album My Photos
You can check e-bay for parts. The saw insert you can make out of MFD or a good plywood. Look up "zero clearance inserts on Youtube or internet search an it will have info. There check put "Shark Guard" for one of the, if not the best guard/splitters on the market. Make the splitter and guard a high priority.

Paul
post #5 of 12 Old 09-08-2019, 10:19 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Bill, and welcome to WoodworkingTalk! Pahrump is very far from trees, that's for sure.

Sorry, but I don't know much about your table saw, but please be careful with it.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-08-2019, 12:31 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Bill, welcome.

Did you ever run into Art Bell, used to listen to him every night when he was on air.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #7 of 12 Old 09-08-2019, 01:30 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Ebay for the splitter, used .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi All,
Finally decided to do a little woodworking and bought an older Craftsman table saw model 315228490 and a 8" Jet jointer/planer. I contacted Searspartsdirect.com to get some parts for it but it is too old I guess. Anyone have an idea of where I could get:
motor mounting plate (can make one if not)
belt cover
blade guard, riving knife and anti-kickback pawls which are all really wanted
and also the wider plate so I could use a set of dado blades

Really appreciate any suggestions

Thanks,

BillF

I don't know if that saw would use a splitter or a riving knife, but be sure and get one or the other.

As far as throat plates for that specific saw, I use this site for many table saw accessories and they are really great for that and many other things:
https://www.ptreeusa.com/tablesaw_index.html

Make certain your fence is parallel to one of the miter slot, typically the right side, when it's locked down as that will greatly affect performance and accuracy. The blade should also be aligned parallel to the miter slot since they are the sole reference for alignment.

A riving knife OR splitter will do two very important things:
It will keep the saw kerf for closing onto and pinching the rear of the blade and stalling the saw.
It will keep the workpiece registered against the fence at the rear which will prevent a kickback.

Get busy and make an outfeed support, equally important for saw safety. Do Not Ever Reach around behind the spinning saw blade to retrieve a cut off OR your workpiece. An outfeed support will catch all those piece for you as you push them past the blade ... no reaching around it. A hinged support attached to the saw will beat a roller support every time. An auxilary table is just as good if you have the floor space.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 12 Old 09-08-2019, 03:58 PM
CharleyL

View CharleyL's Photo Album My Photos
You may end up needing to make or modify some closely matching parts for your saw yourself like table inserts, blade and pulley guards, etc, or it might actually be easier and cheaper in the long run to just find a good clean used saw that comes with everything. The Delta Contractor Saws of the 34-44* series (all almost the same) are quite plentiful and now selling for $2-300 on Craigslist or other swap boards. Keep an eye out for a clean and complete one with a fence and miter gauge, belt/pulley cover, Splitter/blade guard and anti kickback pawls, etc. It's quite easy to make your own table inserts and a post asking about how to do it will get you all the help that you need for this.

A saw that is less than about 15 years old will likely have a riving knife and saws older than that will likely have a splitter and anti kickback pawls. Most older saws cannot be modified for a riving knife, but a splitter is fairly easy to make. Micro Jig sells great stock pushers and easy to install splitters, but they have no anti kickback pawls. Most Craftsman saws are hard to find parts for, since several manufacturers made them and Sears isn't very good at keeping spare parts in stock for very long. You might try www.ereplacementparts.com because they do or did have some parts for Craftsman saws. Look for a saw with a dual voltage 120-240 volt motor and 1.5-2.0 hp.

The contractor saws (several brands) all seemed to have the motors hanging out the back of the saw table and easily visible for inspection. This type of saw is quite accurate when calibrated, very hard to kill, and easy to use. Their only significant fault is their saw dust control - there isn't any. It falls where it may, but for a good low priced and reliable used saw, these saws are great. I have several friends who make period reproduction Queen Ann furniture using these saws. I found one for my son, fixed it up and calibrated it, and it is just as accurate as my Unisaw. If you can find one with a Unifence, the fence alone is worth over $200 because they are great, are highly sought after by serious woodworkers and no longer being made. The original stock fences on these saws (called Jet Lock) isn't the best, but works fine for someone just getting started. You can always upgrade the fence later. The dual voltage motor on the Delta Contractors Saw is specially designed. It produces 1.5 hp on 120 volt power (the max available on a 15 amp 120 volt circuit) but when switched over to 240 volts it can produce a full 2 hp on a 240 volt 15 amp circuit. For a home hobbyist, you won't need more than 2 hp.

Charley
post #9 of 12 Old 09-08-2019, 09:30 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I admit, I was wondering the same thing as @CharleyL. Would you be better buying a different saw with all the safety equipment intact? In the old days, people threw away the safety equipment, never to be seen again. Replacing them means buying from the few people who kept track of them, or finding third-party solutions. Old saws are sometimes very good saws, so it is not always an easy decision.

Please study everything you can find about table saw safety, including kickbacks.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-09-2019, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for taking the time to say hi and answer my questions and giving me some really good suggestions.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-11-2019, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Hi FrankC,

I do remember him. If I'm not mistaken he was on late at night, very smart interesting guy.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-11-2019, 11:30 PM

View Old_Tom's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum Bill. Hope you enjoy your stay.

I go overboard with every hobby I get involved in.......no exceptions!
Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode