Woodworking Talk banner

Hello from eastern shore MD

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Texas Sawduster 
#1 ·
Well I found the app for my iPhone for this forum and read a bunch of great advice and figured I'd join. I was a wood door carpenter for 5 years so I know how to drill a mean hole and route a hinge or two lol. I am a certified history teacher but still looking for a teaching job. So I am still building my tool base. I have some battery powered tools and a hand held router and this Christmas I got a skil scroll saw and a two pattern books for some pretty cool projects that I am going to start attempting as soon as I build a bench for my saw. I attached a picture (it's not too great a shot) of my first scroll saw project. This was the first time I have used a scroll saw in over 15 years. It turned out ok for some cheap plywood. I am going to order some Baltic birch and see what I can create.

Any advice on a cheap work table for a scroll saw? I will build a bench later once I can get some more funds just want to make a table for the scroll saw so I can get started.
Looking forward to learning from all of you. Hopefully I will be able to share more pictures soon.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi Andy, welcome to the forum. That's a great looking ornament and definitely a keepsake. Even more impressive considering it's your first try in 15 years! As far as scroll saw stands, I would think it not too difficult to cobble up a triangular-type stand based something like what Dewalt offers with their scroll saw. My Delta came with a stand that looks like this

This isn't my saw but rather a stock photo I found. Mine doesn't have the attached light. A stand like this wouldn't be too hard to build either. When making a stand give some thought to height. On my Delta I have to stand to use it. With more intricate patterns this can get tiring and I sometimes have to stop, rest my back and take a break. I have seen shops of people who are really into scrolling who mount their machines lower so they can sit while scrolling. Some also tilt the base of their stands so they're looking more down onto their work. Also consider having a spare outlet on whatever stand you make for a gooseneck light. Just things to consider.

#4 ·
Welcome from just down the road in Virginia Beach. I don't have plans but have two recommendations: 1. find a chair you plan on using and make sure the able is high enough to where you don't have to lean over to use the saw. 2. Make the top sloped downward from back to front. This helps see your line better than if the saw was level. Well, I guess I have a 3rd recommendation....cut you up some 1/2" PVC to lengths about 3/4 of the lengths of the blades you use. Drill out holes somewhere on the legs of your table to seat the pipes. Now you have a place to store your blades. You could also cut your PVC the same lengths as your blades so you put caps on the ends to keep dust out. Might have to go with 3/4" PVC if you go this route so you can get your finger in to get the blades out easier than the smaller 1/2 PVC.

There is a fee I charge, you must post a pic when you get finished...ha. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.