Hello from Chuck in No California - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 03-20-2010, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

View SeeDBee's Photo Album My Photos
Hello from Chuck in No California

Most of my career I was a sales guy selling to the electronics industry in Northern California. In 2002 when my customers moved to China I retired and moved north of Sacramento where I watch my grandkids grow and sell advertising specialties.

As time moves on things change and the internet has certainly changed the scope of the selling game. For the past couple of years I've been thinking about how I can present more actual products on a sales call.

For the last three or four months I've been working on what I call an "idea-cart" using what minimal woodworking equipment and skills I have. The cart measures 42 inches high, 24 inches wide, and 12 inches deep which you see in the picture.

The wood is 1/4 and 1/2 inch Birch ply for the carcass and dividers. The boxes are 5.2 MM Luan ply. It's about a 50/50 between using hand tools and power tools. Using techniques my high school woodworking teacher taught me I can still cut a straight line with a sharp hand saw so all of the long cuts I've made that way, then finished with an old Stanley Block Plane to even out the rough spots.

I have a 1980 vintage Craftsman 10 inch table saw that scares the heck out of me that works ok for the short cuts. I built a cross-cut sled from some plans I downloaded from the internet and it's accurate on every other day for some reason. I originally cut the dados with a stacked dado set on the table saw but I couldn't see what I was doing, so I switched to another antique, my 1960s vintage radial arm saw. While that was easier to use it still caused me grief because the saw had been used as a shelf for many years and the table was not flat any more.

I finally resorted to using a router I'd purchased many moons ago, and that in itself was a big learning curve, but I managed after several attempts to be able to cut dados that are acceptable for my skill level and are adequate for this project.

I've been lurking this site for about a year and those who have posted before me have given me the tools to make this thing fly because there have been many anxious moments. Thanks guys and gals for the help.

Here's a picture of how the project looks at this point.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-22-2010, 12:06 PM

View JohnK007's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Chuck glad you decided to come out of he shadows and into the fray! That's a good looking cabinet you've made. Certainly not lacking for drawer space! Funny, your RAS was used as a shelf and mine is still tucked away in the shed. I've got to break it out one of these days and learn to use it.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-22-2010, 12:31 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from Texas !!!

Welcome to the forum.

Great looking project.

Tools are like guns, You can never have enough.
Where did I put that tape measure???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-22-2010, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

View SeeDBee's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the welcome

Thanks for the welcome. I suppose that one reason we newbies lurk for a period of time is that we haven't a clue what questions to ask until we see a post that is close.

Chuck
post #5 of 5 Old 03-26-2010, 11:17 PM
Cabinetmaker

View Ghostcreek's Photo Album My Photos
Hello Chuck. I am here in Northern Calif. Lake Oroville area. Welcome. If you are in my area, email me and I can provide any help you might need or just chat. [email protected]

Michael
Ghostcreek Woodworking
Palermo, CA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode