Hello from central Texas - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 01-27-2011, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Patience squared!

View Renate's Photo Album My Photos
Hello from central Texas

Today I just joined the DIY chatroom and they recommended this woodworking site as well as the Craft forum. I am an artist and work in many media, but mostly graphite and acrylic. I also sew, knit, crochet, bead, weave, cook, design cakes, etc. I love to build anything and everything. I feel like if something can be done, then certainly I can do it too. I just sometimes need to learn how. I love to paint faux finished and special treatments on walls, hate staining wood, but that's probably because I don't know what I'm doing... yet. I am remodeling my house from end to end, which entails all sorts of varied projects. I sometimes like to use materials in unconventional ways. I hope to pick up some tips, technical information, advice (and warnings of what not to do ) from the knowledgeable professionals here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-27-2011, 05:22 PM

View JMC'sLT30's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Renate from tn.

"IF IT'S TOO TOUGH FOR THEM, IT'S JUST RIGHT FOR ME"
post #3 of 10 Old 01-27-2011, 05:28 PM
dat

View dat's Photo Album My Photos
hello back to ya, I have two nephews (and their brides) that live in or close to Austin, and some friends around New Braunfels. pretty counrty through some parts of there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Hickabilly

View mickit's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Renate...I'm down in the RGV. I've done some weaving and macramé.
Artiste, I'm not, but I'd like to see some of your work. I was avante garde
back in the seventies. I like to see unusual combinations and applications.
Show us your stuff

Mick

Life's too short to _________(fill in the blank)

Last edited by mickit; 01-27-2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Doh!!!
post #5 of 10 Old 01-28-2011, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Patience squared!

Hey all, thanks for the welcoming words. I guess anyone can say they're an artist... ya need proof, eh? Ha! I have a few photos of some of my work that I can attach. Much of my older stuff hasn't been converted to digitals files, so here's just the stuff from the last couple years. Unfortunately it doesn't include the custom picture framing pieces, some very elaborate. My favorite was a pagoda style shadowbox, large enough to house a full size Japanese wedding kimono. I really should dig around and find that photo. But for now, here's the 'regular' art...

I work in mostly graphite and acrylic, with an occasional watercolor base layer under my pencil work. For example, the rocks (bottom image) were done with watercolor, then shaded with regular graphite over them on very smooth, hotpress watercolor paper. That gives them the subtle color variation. I guess only three pictures can load at once? My fourth, the latest piece, failed. I'll show you that one in a separate post, since it's pretty bizarre and completely different.

So this is a sampling. I didn't post any of my sewing designs or knitting, as that's best suited for the craft forum.

...and 'dat' and 'mickit'... how did you know I was from central Texas? I can see where it shows that. I wanted to add it under my name, but haven't figured that out yet. Yes, it's pretty country here. I'm an hour of east of Austin.
Cheers,
Renate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_289.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	20455  

Attached Images

post #6 of 10 Old 01-28-2011, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Patience squared!

Here's the fourth image, my latest piece of artwork. I surprised my husband with a case of custom red wine last Christmas, that his daughter and I made, with the help of the 'fermenting experts' at a place in Austin. We designed the label ourselves. Fortunately, I had a photo of my husband making this face, more or less, and was able to use it as a reference when drawing him 'as a zombie'. It's a decent likeness, though he's not that scary looking! Ha!

Renate
Attached Images

post #7 of 10 Old 01-28-2011, 12:24 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from Texas !!!

Welcome to the forum.

Waco native here.

Currently in the Conroe/Cleveland area.

Tools are like guns, You can never have enough.
Where did I put that tape measure???
post #8 of 10 Old 01-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
I looked at the photos before I read the post. I was thinking "Man this chick is weird. She hangs a scarf over something and puts a few rocks on a shelf and calls it 'art'. Lame."

No joke I thought they were just pictures. That's pretty amazing depth of field. Your husband sort of looks like Glenn Beck unmasked.

Thanks for sharing your talent with us - you have lots of it. I'd like to see more, especially the kimono and the frame. I lived in Japan and anything Japanese always brings back great memories for me.

post #9 of 10 Old 01-28-2011, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Patience squared!

Thanks TexasTimbers, I'm flattered that the artwork fooled you. Ha! I'll try get a picture of that pagoda thing posted. I have a 4x6 photo I can scan, but I no longer have the pagoda.

Cheers,
Renate

Less isn't more... MORE is more!
post #10 of 10 Old 01-31-2011, 11:27 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from kemah, Tx.

BTW, the photo album section of your profile does not have to contain woodworking related photos. For our benefit, please post any pictures you like. I used to own an Art Gallery in LR, Ar. about 20 years ago. I featured artists from all over the US. 3D art was my best seller. I love wall hangings. I was seriously into woodturning at the time.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode