Hello from the bayou. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 21 Old 04-05-2010, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
316 below zero

View 2ridgebacks's Photo Album My Photos
Exclamation Hello from the bayou.

Hello I have recently become more interested in woodworking after opening a cryogenic processing business in Baton Rouge La. I have just started processing blades for the woodworking industry and am having some good results. Typically steel blades stay sharp and last 3-4x longer (tool steels react the best). Carbide inserts also work well and last 2-3x longer. I am looking for people who would like to try this technology out for free. If you have a woodworking business and would like to try out cryogenic processing i would be happy to process a blade for you for free so you can see for yourself how well this works.
Saw blades
band saw blades
knives
chain saw
drill bits
any cutting tool used in wood.
contact me at [email protected] if you are interested.
thanks
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Send my blade to a complete stranger? Hmm.........Doubtfull.

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #3 of 21 Old 04-05-2010, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
316 below zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdntrdr View Post
That's ok I am looking for people who go through a lot of blades, if you did you would not be that attached to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 04-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Scotty D

At $100 to $150 a shot I get REAL attached to them........... Maybe it's just me

Scott

"Like" us on facebook
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #5 of 21 Old 04-05-2010, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
316 below zero

Quote:
At $100 to $150 a shot I get REAL attached to them........... Maybe it's just me
If you would cryo process that $150 blade you would get 3-4x the life out of it and save $300-450.00 since they are soooooo expensive. There are plenty of processors in IL.
post #6 of 21 Old 04-06-2010, 09:33 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks David for the quick reply. I will be home in about a week. I assume you need a new sharp blade?

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
post #7 of 21 Old 04-06-2010, 09:42 AM

Fear of the Unknown?

If you are concerned, you might want to ask one of our members that lives in Baton Rouge (Red Stick) to verify this man's existance.

I also admire his coming right out with his intentions rather than the spamers with double ID's where one asks a dumb question and then he answers it with his other ID and they keep a thread going.

post #8 of 21 Old 04-06-2010, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
316 below zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Thanks David for the quick reply. I will be home in about a week. I assume you need a new sharp blade?
Tony, actually sharpening afterwards will produce the best results. If you would like to process a new blade then when you get it back from me use it till dull then sharpen it. You will also loose less material when sharpening. Thanks for the question.
David
post #9 of 21 Old 04-06-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ridgebacks View Post
Tony, actually sharpening afterwards will produce the best results. ......... Thanks for the question.
David
OK, one mo' question. I assume that the manufacturer does not matter. Reason I ask is because Freud blades have their own way of being sharpened, at least that was what I was told by Freud. Mainly different angle cut. If I can do this, I will not have to buy a new blade. Thanks.

post #10 of 21 Old 04-06-2010, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
316 below zero

Quote:
OK, one mo' question. I assume that the manufacturer does not matter. Reason I ask is because Freud blades have their own way of being sharpened, at least that was what I was told by Freud. Mainly different angle cut. If I can do this, I will not have to buy a new blade. Thanks.
Tony
the Manufacturer does not matter, the type of steel does. Tool steels (M2-D2 ect) and high carbon content steels work best with cryo processing. Good thing is that most steels used in blades are at least higher carbon steels. Most steel blades that are used in wood products see a 3-4x increase in edge retention, so less sharpening = longer life. The process includes reducing the temp to -316f and holding that temp for 24+hours. I am testing some D2 finger joint cutters, carbide stump grinders, and carbide drill bit inserts. I will post the results as soon as they come in.
David
post #11 of 21 Old 04-06-2010, 12:09 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from Texas !!!

Quote:
Hello I have recently become more interested in woodworking after opening a cryogenic processing business in Baton Rouge La. I have just started processing blades for the woodworking industry and am having some good results. Typically steel blades stay sharp and last 3-4x longer (tool steels react the best). Carbide inserts also work well and last 2-3x longer. I am looking for people who would like to try this technology out for free. If you have a woodworking business and would like to try out cryogenic processing i would be happy to process a blade for you for free so you can see for yourself how well this works.
Saw blades
band saw blades
knives
chain saw
drill bits
any cutting tool used in wood.
contact me at [email protected] if you are interested.
thanks
David
Wow, I was just talking about this technology last week here at work. I have wanted to try it for quite some time.
I hope it goes well with your business.

Welcome to the forum.

Tools are like guns, You can never have enough.
Where did I put that tape measure???
post #12 of 21 Old 04-06-2010, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
316 below zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Sawduster View Post
Wow, I was just talking about this technology last week here at work. I have wanted to try it for quite some time.
I hope it goes well with your business.

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks, I see you are not too far away from me. If you have somthing in mind you want to try I will process it at no charge for you to evaluate for yourself. Let me know
thanks
David
post #13 of 21 Old 02-06-2011, 03:53 AM

View designer-fixit's Photo Album My Photos
hello

hello.im new too,great to know im not the only new person around. hope to see you around
post #14 of 21 Old 02-06-2011, 04:17 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Quote:
If you are concerned, you might want to ask one of our members that lives in Baton Rouge (Red Stick) to verify this man's existance.

I also admire his coming right out with his intentions rather than the spamers with double ID's where one asks a dumb question and then he answers it with his other ID and they keep a thread going.

If anyone is interested I can go check this out. Just let me know.

I'm guessing tha'ts ok with you David , and welcome to the forum.
post #15 of 21 Old 02-06-2011, 08:55 AM

View burkhome's Photo Album My Photos
When I lived in Indiana, my father-in-laws neighbor owned such a business. He did some blades and drill bits for me. It works. He got heavily into racing parts particularly spark plugs. Cryo procedure allowed some pretty amazing changes in the lowly spark plug.

Roger from the Great Horicon Swamp
post #16 of 21 Old 02-06-2011, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
316 below zero

rrbrown, I would be more than happy to give anyone references or let someone come by and check out my processing equipment but I do not think that mdntrdr is looking to do any business. I am a part of many forums and some people use the anonymous nature of the forums to say and do things they would never have the courage to say to someone’s face. Thankfully that is not the way most people act.
burkhome, I would love to know more about the processed spark plugs. I have done a small amount of work and research on them but it would be great to get more information.

I am still willing to test process items for potential customers to evaluate, cryogenic processing is an amazing process that has applications in most any business.
Thanks
David
Cajun Cryogenics
post #17 of 21 Old 02-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Scotty D

Quote:
I do not think that mdntrdr is looking to do any business. I am a part of many forums and some people use the anonymous nature of the forums to say and do things they would never have the courage to say to someone’s face. Thankfully that is not the way most people act.

Anonymous??? My website is included in my signature, it contains, my name, my address, my phone number, and my e-mail.

So, What is it your insinuating?

Scott

"Like" us on facebook
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #18 of 21 Old 02-06-2011, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
316 below zero

Quote:
Anonymous??? My website is included in my signature, it contains, my name, my address, my phone number, and my e-mail.

So, What is it your insinuating?
Do you really not know what I ment? It was not very complacated you act like a a-hole because you are in front of a computer not in front of me. Plenty of people do business over the internet and do not know the person they are doing business with. If you are not comfortable with this then why even post your first message but to be a a-hole. So again you would not last very long if you had the same attitude to everyone you saw face to face so I think what I said makes perfect since. Your next post will further prove my point.
post #19 of 21 Old 02-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Scotty D

Scott

"Like" us on facebook
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #20 of 21 Old 02-07-2011, 08:10 AM

View burkhome's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
rrbrown, I would be more than happy to give anyone references or let someone come by and check out my processing equipment but I do not think that mdntrdr is looking to do any business. I am a part of many forums and some people use the anonymous nature of the forums to say and do things they would never have the courage to say to someone’s face. Thankfully that is not the way most people act.
burkhome, I would love to know more about the processed spark plugs. I have done a small amount of work and research on them but it would be great to get more information.

I am still willing to test process items for potential customers to evaluate, cryogenic processing is an amazing process that has applications in most any business.
Thanks
David
Cajun Cryogenics
It has been 15 years since I talked to the guy. Right at this minute I can't even remember his name. If I remember right his shop was in Plymouth, IN. He was working heavily with engineering companies to document his research. He complained heavily that it took all the resources he could muster but without the formal studies, getting into formal racing was impossible. I remember him saying that cryo process on spark plugs allowed the gap to be opened way up and improving efficiency. Other than that I'm afraid I don't remember much.....I do know however that cryo works on tools.

Roger from the Great Horicon Swamp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode