Hello From Anne Arundel County, MD. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 07-14-2011, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

View Paul W Gillespie's Photo Album My Photos
Hello From Anne Arundel County, MD.

Let me start by saying great forum you have here. Everyone has been awesome and it really has helped me with some of the basics on aquiring equipment for my new shop.

My name is Paul W Gillespie and I am a newspaper photographer living in Anne Arundel County, MD the last 10 years. I am originally from southern NJ. Going to high school in the mid 80's there were many shop classes to take and I took them all. I hate to say that I did not take full advantage of them at the time, using them mostly to coast to passing grades. It is terrible taht they have stripped most shop classes from high schools these days.

I grew up watching This Old House and then Norm and his New Yankee Workshop and I always thought that it was cool being able to make that great furniture out of wood. I always wanted a wood shop of my own. Having gone through my 20's and 30's I did not have the ability to even think about creating one.

Having hit my early 40's, with a somewhat stable career and a very understanding wife, I decided to clear some space in the basement and put in a small shop. I was just sick of wasting time on facebook and the net, this site is the exception, and figured I would rather spend time creating something. Now whether it is just sawdust or decent furniture remains to be seen.

My shop will be a small one at about 14'x20'', about a third of my basement, with room to spread out if I need some temp extra space. If I really get into it, I can take out the home gym and expand to about 26'x24'.

Budget will also be a factor. Again my very understanding wife supported me when I got a good deal on a new clearance Craftsman 22114 for $399. I also picked up a Delta 14" Band Saw for 165 yesterday of CL. It is like new, except the guy broke the table off, so I ordered new trunnions for $30. I have a Delta Compound Miter saw and a lot of other tools I have acquired in the last 8 years as I do the biggest project I have ever undertaken, remodeling my fixer house.

Anyway, that is a long way of saying hello and thanks for all your help, now and in the future.

Paul
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul W Gillespie For This Useful Post:
ChiknNutz (07-15-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
Paul W Gillespie (07-14-2011)
post #3 of 15 Old 07-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
The Following User Says Thank You to mdntrdr For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 07-14-2011, 02:13 PM

View scrollerart's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Paul sounds like you're going to have a really great shop nice starting size(about double mine) Good luck and let the sawdust fly
The Following User Says Thank You to scrollerart For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 15 Old 07-14-2011, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the welcomes. Don't be too thrilled with the size of my small shop, it is shared with everything else in the basement. I hope I can control the dust somewhat or it will get on everything. I will look into DC once I know how the shop will be setup. I have been spending the last couple of days going through all the junk down there. I will tossing whatever has not been used or will be used.

The basement is set up with a home gym and my brothers bedroom on one side, lengthwise. His room is seperated and enlosed with walls and a door. The gym has a wall between the area for the shop which is shared with storage and the washer and dryer.

Not to scale and very crude drawing.

PS I am not paranoid about people stealing this image, My host puts it on all of them and I can't figure out how to get it off.

post #6 of 15 Old 07-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Bob D

View robertd's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from Rosedale MD

Bob D
The Following User Says Thank You to robertd For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 15 Old 07-14-2011, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

If I used the wood shop more than I use the gym, which is very possible since I hardly ever use the gym, I may tear that wall down and use that space as well.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-15-2011, 08:19 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Nice intro Paul.Having been in the biz since diapers(40+)........most folks 'round here at home know I'm kidding most of the time.....so this following idea wouldn't hold one bit of water but;

Ask your wife if its ok to store some furniture,cabinets and interior design elements in ya'lls living rm.....finished of course.

Start sm.....an 18x24 mirror frame.Google,research and go for sumthin easy.....tailor'd,clean and give it a nice cornice.Pce of beaded cove,Black on a Cherry frame looks nice.Make two while you're at it,it takes barely anymore time than one.Beveled stock mirrors from sLowes.Then let wifey give one to whomever she wants.

Then start looking at projects....takin it up a notch.Maybe rehabbin an antique,sm dresser as a new vanity.This'll get you started understanding drwrs and their const.

Anyway,get wifey's input in a..."what are we gonna do with this stuff dear" sort of way.I'll put good money on her future,FULL support on equip. purchases.Try to strike a balance between equip and what you're producing.IOWs a 5K$ TS to build birdhouses...and she's gonna see right through it.My wifes' seen it,heard it all in this dept. she just shakes her head and walks away,haha.Best,BW

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
The Following User Says Thank You to BWSmith For This Useful Post:
Paul W Gillespie (07-15-2011)
post #9 of 15 Old 07-15-2011, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Oh and most of the time when I blame my wife for not letting me get something, I am just kidding. She is very supportive and lets me do whatever I think is best. I just like to use her as an excuse when I know I really should be waiting to buy something.

And other than benches for the shop, I think my first real project will be a drafting/art table for my beautiful wife. She likes to draw and I told her I would make her a table and some space in the shop. That helped smooth over my wood shop basement conversion.

Thanks.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Cat Herder

View ChiknNutz's Photo Album My Photos
Your story sounds similar to mine in the sense that I should have started on this journey FAR earlier. I should have paid more attention to my carpenter Dad (who is still around, but now we live a few hours apart) and I spend too much time on the 'net and not enough time DOING things (I generally research the [email protected] outta stuff before I embark on something). Anyways...WELCOME!

Chris A.
Live a life worth celebrating!

Ridgid R4221 12" CMS, R4330 Planer | Bosch MRC23EVSK Router, 1591EVSL Jigsaw, PB360S Power Box | JDS Air-Tech HP air cleaner | Grizzly 14" bandsaw (Laguna LT14 clone), Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust Collector | Festool Rotex 150/5 FEQ, CT 36 E, ETS EC125/3, TS75, Domino XL | Incra router table | Grizzly G1023RL
The Following User Says Thank You to ChiknNutz For This Useful Post:
Paul W Gillespie (07-15-2011)
post #11 of 15 Old 07-17-2011, 03:16 PM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Chikn,"carpenter Dad's".......rank at the very top of the heap.I had one.The very best,BW

Paul.......a supporting/understanding wife and fine WW,just sort of go together.The very best!

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BWSmith For This Useful Post:
mdntrdr (07-17-2011), Paul W Gillespie (07-21-2011)
post #12 of 15 Old 07-21-2011, 01:07 AM

View damiano124's Photo Album My Photos
welcome to the forum.

The Following User Says Thank You to damiano124 For This Useful Post:
Paul W Gillespie (07-21-2011)
post #13 of 15 Old 04-01-2014, 02:56 PM

View Clouseau's Photo Album My Photos
Where did you get your trunnions. The quaulity is variable, but most all of the 3-bolt ones will work. I need at least one.
Dan

St. Louis, MO
post #14 of 15 Old 04-01-2014, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Clouseau, I got the new trunnions from Toolpartsdirect.com. They had them both in stock and only took three days to get them to me. Not bad. It cost me 30.67 for the parts & shipping. This was in July 2011. The way Delta parts have been disappearing, they may be tough to find. This BS seems to be the model that every other off brand models theirs after so maybe you could find parts from another maker if no Delta's can be found.

Here is a link to my original band saw thread when I talked about buying it and fixing it. http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/bs-worth-27984/

Good luck.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-02-2014, 10:50 PM

View Clouseau's Photo Album My Photos
Ereplacement parts has them listed as back ordered. I swapped emails with Bob Vaughn this morning. He has been buying most of the older used ones on the OWWM BOYD because they are better than the newer ones. I am going to be in Springfield, MO, in a couple weeks on my way to O'WAMMO's and will stop at Grizzly's to compare. Hopefully theirs are the same, but heavier. I would rather have them a little heavier because the saw is a wood/metal and I will probably be moving it around a little. Although I try to make a point to everyone not to grab the table, accidents do happen. I'll report back.
Dan

St. Louis, MO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode