Hello to all woodworkers - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 05-28-2010, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

View Rayal Oak's Photo Album My Photos
Hello to all woodworkers

I am new wood working. I am planing to build home in near future and I got idea that I can do some work do by myself. I have good knowledge how to machining steel and how to work with machines but wood working is different so I am joining this forum.

Mario
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-28-2010, 11:40 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum, Mario. Where are you from? What kinds of tools do you have (woodworking, I mean) ?

Paul

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #3 of 4 Old 05-29-2010, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

View Rayal Oak's Photo Album My Photos
I live in Arlington WA, an hour north from Seattle. At this point I am just doing some analysis of cost and possibility. I am planing to buy shaper and planer. I have to develop more discussion on this forum what exactly I need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-29-2010, 11:33 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome

I would think that the most difficulty you will have becoming a woodworker is getting used to the much lesser degree of precision in woodworking than is required in machining. Its a 'mind set' thing. This is also a stumbling block at first for engineers also. Once you get past that, the rest is easy.
As for tools, I personally feel that the table saw is the most important piece of equipment you can own for general woodworking. Having said that, logic would dictate that you should spend as much as you can on getting the very best table saw you can afford whether new or used.
As for cabinetry, A table saw and a few different weight routers should be just about all you will need for a while providing you have a good source of quality hardwoods. If not, you will need a planer and joiner up front with the table saw and routers. This of course does not include hand sanders, electric sanders, drills, screw drivers, etc. I threw that in, just in case you were the literal type.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode