Hello all I am a new Aussie member - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 03-06-2008, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

View Wolffie's Photo Album My Photos
Talking Hello all I am a new Aussie member

I am Wolffie from Australia and I am female.
At the moment I (we) are hard at work renovating our old Queenslander aka timber house.
Although I started working with wood when I was a kid, I am only now starting to re-learn and using all those wonderful power tools and machinery that I have bought.
It is raining cats and dogs here and we have been landlogged for a couple of days but it seems like we can get throught the water over the road now so I am off to buy much needed supplies.
See ya
Wolffie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-06-2008, 08:59 PM

View raskgle's Photo Album My Photos
water log

Welcome to the form, I am sure you will enjoy. Lissen to all that's said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffie View Post
I am Wolffie from Australia and I am female.
At the moment I (we) are hard at work renovating our old Queenslander aka timber house.
Although I started working with wood when I was a kid, I am only now starting to re-learn and using all those wonderful power tools and machinery that I have bought.
It is raining cats and dogs here and we have been landlogged for a couple of days but it seems like we can get throught the water over the road now so I am off to buy much needed supplies.
See ya
Wolffie
post #3 of 8 Old 03-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Wolffie. If y'all are taking some before/after pics why not post them in the gallery as yoou go? I bet alot folks would like to see a Queenslander. I never heard a timber frame called that. What's the history of it - do you know who built it etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-08-2008, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

View Wolffie's Photo Album My Photos
G'day all
Well, let me try to explain.
what makes up these typical Queensland homes,
  • Light timber frame with exposed studs on most internal walls
  • Weather or Chamfer board exterior walls (usually made from Silky oak)
  • Singleskin VJ tongue and groove boards for internal walls (usually made from silkwood)
  • Solid timber French light doors and double hung windows with frosted glass to keep out the glare of the Australian sun.
  • Verandahs with decorative timber and/or cast iron
  • Timber or iron window hoods and/or external blinds
  • Lattice infills to verandahs, quite often set with large day beds
  • Mostly highset on round timber stumps with batten infill
  • Steeply pitched roof design clad with corrugated iron
  • Timber fencing
The house on stumps has long been regarded characteristically as the Queenslander. A number of explanations have been advanced as to the origins of the high stump house and the advantages of living in one. More often than not, it seems, that by lifting these structures above the ground, it is easier for the owner to detect any white ant or borer infestation and take action. Some people comment favourably on the merits of the house on stumps, they maintain that such houses are well positioned above mosquitoes, snakes and cane toads, floods also and that furthermore they catch welcome cool breezes.

Because of the cyclones we have here, all bearing walls have heavy steel rods inserted ,bolted to floor beams and roof trusses every 3 feet.

Ours is a low set house, which means it sits on 4 foot long 4x4 steel posts with another 2 feet anchored in concrete.
High set houses are like 2 storey houses except there is nothing in the botton storey but steel posts.

Our house was originally built to accomodate government workers up North when they were developing the country but was sold and transported to this place about 20 years ago and used to accomodate the owner's cane workers.
We bought it 8 years ago and it had been badly treated by the tenants, especially the kitchen area.
This is probably more information than you wanted but here it is.
If there is any interest I will open a thread showing what we are doing to this house
Wolffie
post #5 of 8 Old 03-08-2008, 08:33 AM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffie View Post
. . .If there is any interest I will open a thread showing what we are doing to this house . . .

Yes! Please.

I can't speak for everyone but I know a few here for sure would like to see this. I guarantee every one of the sawyers on the forum (quite a few of us) and most of the woodworkers would be very interested.

Especially if you focus on the finish work, but not to say we wouldn't want to see the whole thing. The joinery would be of interest to all I think even though I have no idea how much of that needs re-doing, at least show the different joints and members used in the house. Pegged tenons, scarf joints, any entire bents which might be out in the open in front of a loft or something, visible summer beams etc.
Any significant clear spans are always of interest.

Thanks for the details now how about some pictures?
post #6 of 8 Old 03-09-2008, 01:20 PM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum Wolffie.
It sounds like an interesting home you have. I was down in Louisiana several years ago, and noticed that many of the houses were two story, but the lower floor was pretty much open. I guess that was due to the flooding they get every so often. Pictures of your progress would be much enjoyed, I am sure.

Gerry
post #7 of 8 Old 03-09-2008, 03:47 PM

View Joe C's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum. There is a ton of great info here.

Download a free woodworking plan:http://www.craftandwoodworking.com
post #8 of 8 Old 03-09-2008, 06:08 PM

View stuart's Photo Album My Photos
welcome, mate.

I got a friend out in Melbourne . I know you guys got summer now - hot too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode