Hello all, glad to be aboard! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 02-18-2009, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Terry Sumner

View terrysumner's Photo Album My Photos
Hello all, glad to be aboard!

I'm Terry Sumner, age 57 and a lifelong woodworker. My love of wood came about from my grandfather way back in the 60's when I used to marvel at him building things in his small basement shop up in St. Albans, Vermont. And my uncle used to build small powerboats and ice boats in his garage shop in St albans also. He would run these boats on Lake Champlain. In my adult life I put together a fairly decent shop with a bunch of used equipment in the early 70's during my first marriage. Divorce forced me to sell everything so I went without a shop for years. Got married again and have been so now for the past 27 years to a wonderfull woman, my Carolyn, who is my biggest supporter in my new woodshop. She even pitched in building it! I had this little shop in the basement of our small raised ranch until a year and a half ago when we finally decided to build my dream shop. I built a 24 X 48 2 story shop where the ground level is a car shop. It has a 13' ceiling height to accomodate the 10,000 lb lift I installed. I have a nice Lincoln mig welder, a metal cutoff saw, drill press, and all the normal tools for working on cars. A big air compressor gives me all the air I can use.

The second floor is my woodworking shop and it has a 9' ceiling so I can grab a 4 x 8 piece of plywood without hitting the darn ceiling!
To get all my equipment up there and to bring built items down, I fabricated a hoist system on a 4" steel I-beam that extends out the double 3' X 8' doors (which I made). The Harbor Freight 1100 pound hoist rides on a manual trolley and works very well. It easily lifted all my tools up there!

Now that I have some room maybe I can get to building some bigger things that I couldn't before as there was no room in my basement shop!

I'm a retired Connecticut State Police Sergeant, having left the job almost 13 years ago now. After retirement, I took up substitute teaching at a local vocation tech high school mostly in carpentry and auto mechanics. Then I took a job as the Assistant Manager of our local Woodworkers Warehouse store until the demise of the entire chain in Dec of 03. Man I miss that job! Then for the last 5 years I was the General Manager of a local independant auto repair garage until this downturn in the economy got me and I was laid off.

So now I have lots of time to spend in my shop and I think I'm going to try to make it bring in some income.

You can see photos of "Manland" as my wife has named it here...
http://public.fotki.com/tsumner/

Well, that's the Reader's Digest version!

Thanks much,

Terry Sumner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Terry, great intro.

Nice shop. Where'd you find those accordion out-feed rollers behind your powermatic ? Those look like the cats pajamas.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Nobody

View BHOFM's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome.

The wife enjoyed the airplanes. She works with the
team that does the show "Dog Fights" on the History
channel. She does the markings on some of the air
craft.

Here is some of her work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-18-2009, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Terry Sumner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTimbers View Post
Welcome Terry, great intro.

Nice shop. Where'd you find those accordion out-feed rollers behind your powermatic ? Those look like the cats pajamas.
I got it from Woodworkers Warehouse when I worked there. It's okay as long as you keep the rollers perpendicular to the line of travel your board is going in if you're using it on a tablesaw. They are available from most tool suppliers. I believe they're in the Woodcraft catalog...

Terry
post #5 of 12 Old 02-18-2009, 06:26 PM

View BORKBOB's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Terry,

You not only sound like me, we both hang our readers from the neck of our T-shirts . I also have a bit of snow on the roof.

That is an incredible shop and you should be proud of the part you played in building it. I built my own two yrs. ago. It's about 1/4 of yours but it is my kingdom.

I was a remodeler and I survived the first few winters by changing timing belts for my ex's yuppie friends .

Semper Fi

Please pray for our troops.

Bob Ross
theborkstore.com
post #6 of 12 Old 02-18-2009, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Terry Sumner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORKBOB View Post
Hi Terry,

You not only sound like me, we both hang our readers from the neck of our T-shirts . I also have a bit of snow on the roof.

That is an incredible shop and you should be proud of the part you played in building it. I built my own two yrs. ago. It's about 1/4 of yours but it is my kingdom.

I was a remodeler and I survived the first few winters by changing timing belts for my ex's yuppie friends .
Snow on the roof huh? My wife calls me a Q-tip!

In the garage, we've already done a few fairly major jobs. My son's girl friend (maybe my daughter-in-law to be) needed a car, so we picked up this 96 Cavalier that had a small front end hit. We fixed it, painted it to her liking and ran it through the state inspection. Then just before Christmas, we finished a paint job on a 1987 BMW for another guy I know. This is the car when we (my son and I) were done with it...

Hosted on Fotki

Next we have a 1970 VW convertible to do a resto on. Should be a couple of months for that job!
post #7 of 12 Old 02-18-2009, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Terry Sumner

Hmmmm.. don't know what happened to it but I wrote a response to this message earlier and it never showed up...

Anyway, tell your wife she did a good job on those T-33 markings!

Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHOFM View Post
Welcome.

The wife enjoyed the airplanes. She works with the
team that does the show "Dog Fights" on the History
channel. She does the markings on some of the air
craft.

Here is some of her work.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Forgotten but not gone

BHOFM,

My wife and I are Dogfight fanatics. When they canceled the show, suddenly, and without explanation we were devastated. I won't go too off topic and give all the details here what all transpired during that time; suffice to say it was a dogfight on a small scale with THC turning and retreating across the ocean with no ammo left.

Please convey to your wife our most sincere heartfelt appreciation for whatever size contribution she played in helping to create the single best historical docu-drama series which has ever been produced, in any area of history, period.

Every day that ticks off the calender, THC is wasting an unprecedented opportunity to record for posterity, the imagery and stories which only the pilots themselves can give firsthand of their combat experience. Even right here in my hometown we recently lost a Hellcat Ace, Bill Freeman. I became very close friends with Bill and wish he could have lived long enough to see the series. I would love to have gone over and watched it with him, and he would have been thrilled to have me.

We have both seasons on DVD of course, but it is bittersweet knowing that every day we lose between 1000 and 1500 veterans. Most of them are WWII vets and some of them are pilots. That number peaked in 2008, and every year that passes see hundreds of pilots buried. Soon there will be none left and the opportunity to record their experiences will be gone forever.

I am happy that THC gave us two seasons, but I wish they had not dropped the ball on a show at the height of its popularity. It is no mystery to me why after our "focus group" uncovered who A&E (who owns THC) appointed as the new leader of THC in 2007. She was the impetus to replace true history shows with Ice Road Trucker and UFO junk shows. Those shows are fine maybe somewhere else, but to replace a show like Dogfights with a reality show of foul-mouthed truckers, is the apex of disrespect toward our vets.

Sorry to vent in your intro thread Terry. I guess I did go off topic after all. Rant over.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-19-2009, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Terry Sumner

Quote:
BHOFM,

Sorry to vent in your intro thread Terry. I guess I did go off topic after all. Rant over.
No problem! I'm a Super Moderator on my aircraft modeling forum that has over 13,000 members so I'm quite familliar with how it all works.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-19-2009, 04:43 PM
Forgotten but not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrysumner View Post
No problem! I'm a Super Moderator on my aircraft modeling forum that has over 13,000 members so I'm quite familliar with how it all works.
I can't stand that tease. What's the forum? It's cool to plug it here. I built many models as a youth and aircraft were my favorite, followed closely by capital warships, namely battleships.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-20-2009, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Terry Sumner

Quote:
I can't stand that tease. What's the forum? It's cool to plug it here. I built many models as a youth and aircraft were my favorite, followed closely by capital warships, namely battleships.
Oh okay...wasn't going to say as I didn't want to be guilty of bad netiquette.

The aircraft modeling forum is here... http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?

It's the forum for the daily e-zine about model airplanes here...
http://www.arcair.com/

This is an internet magazine that is updated daily with new articles submitted by members worldwide! Steve bamford in western Canada runs it and I help him out with moderating the forum along with a half dozen other fellows. With 11,739 members (I stand corrected) moderating it can be hectic. The main website and the forum are the leding ones on the internet for airplane modeling. Stop in and check it out. A number of my models are in the Gallery.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-20-2009, 10:57 AM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum. Red

Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode