Hello All - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 01-15-2018, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

View rexracer707's Photo Album My Photos
Hello All

My name is Rex and I am out of Southeastern Washington State. I am just getting into wood working with a basic setup of hand and power tools.

I found this forum while trying to figure some issues with my wood finishes.

Right now I am mainly making cutting boards, candle holders and other items around the house for my wife. I haven't had any luck with joints yet so I haven't expanded my work to other items.

Rex

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Hit Hard, hit fast and hit often -Admiral Halsey-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-15-2018, 11:58 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexracer707 View Post
My name is Rex and I am out of Southeastern Washington State. I am just getting into wood working with a basic setup of hand and power tools.

I found this forum while trying to figure some issues with my wood finishes.

Right now I am mainly making cutting boards, candle holders and other items around the house for my wife. I haven't had any luck with joints yet so I haven't expanded my work to other items.

Rex

Welcome to the club.

A lot of people have trouble with finishing. You could save yourself a lot of grief by purchasing a cheap harbor freight sprayer. I use the 97855 sprayer I get for about twenty bucks with a coupon. It will spray wood finishes fine. With a sprayer a lot of projects could be finished with lacquer. It's quick and easy and very forgiving. Something goes wrong you don't have to wait days for the finish to fully harden to fix it, it normally dries in an hour even in cool weather. A lot of other finishes can take up to a week to dry if the weather is below 50 degrees but lacquer could be used below freezing. The only draw back is lacquer can't be used when the humidity is above 70%.

What ever finish you use be sure to try the stain and finish on scrap wood first to see how it goes before using it on a project. If there is a problem on the scrap you can just trash it and try another piece of scrap until you find out what the problem was.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
rexracer707 (01-16-2018)
post #3 of 4 Old 01-16-2018, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

View rexracer707's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Welcome to the club.

A lot of people have trouble with finishing. You could save yourself a lot of grief by purchasing a cheap harbor freight sprayer. I use the 97855 sprayer I get for about twenty bucks with a coupon. It will spray wood finishes fine. With a sprayer a lot of projects could be finished with lacquer. It's quick and easy and very forgiving. Something goes wrong you don't have to wait days for the finish to fully harden to fix it, it normally dries in an hour even in cool weather. A lot of other finishes can take up to a week to dry if the weather is below 50 degrees but lacquer could be used below freezing. The only draw back is lacquer can't be used when the humidity is above 70%.

What ever finish you use be sure to try the stain and finish on scrap wood first to see how it goes before using it on a project. If there is a problem on the scrap you can just trash it and try another piece of scrap until you find out what the problem was.
Thanks, I have been thinking about a harbor freight sprayer, I have one for automotive paint right now but may be in the market for another one.

I'm gonna look around the wood finishes forum and may start a thread there for the problems I'm having.

Rex

Hit Hard, hit fast and hit often -Admiral Halsey-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-16-2018, 06:15 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexracer707 View Post
Thanks, I have been thinking about a harbor freight sprayer, I have one for automotive paint right now but may be in the market for another one.

I'm gonna look around the wood finishes forum and may start a thread there for the problems I'm having.

Rex

Depending on the tip size in your automotive sprayer you should be able to use most wood finishes. Certainly lacquers could be sprayed with it. It's just some other finishes that are thicker.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode