Hello - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 07-17-2014, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

View hollowgates's Photo Album My Photos
Hello

Hello guys and girls!
Im glad I finally ran into a forum like this! Ive always been in the trades even as a little boy (handing my dad flashlights and screwdrivers). Most recently I bought a house and finally had room for a shop and now I'm getting really interested into woodworking. I only have bottom of the line tools (for now). I can't wait to learn and get into all the little details that make this trade great!
My wife already thinks I have a problem, all my free time is spent on youtube watching other woodworkers and thier projects and shops and ideas. I could watch the stuff all day long and not get tired of it.
I recently saw and I forget who had posted it, but someone came up with the idea to have ten different woodworkers all complete the same project (in this case it was bookends) and you see ten different approaches to the same project, and thats what really has peaked my interest in this field.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-17-2014, 11:46 PM

View Dewood's Photo Album My Photos
Hello and welcome. You have been bitten by the woodworking bug just as I was about 10 years ago. I ate slept and drank woodworking. I worked out project ideas while I was driving, watching tv working, sleeping etc.

It is a very inspiring amd rewarding hobby and if you give it your best effort you will be building fine furnature in no time. Have fun.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-18-2014, 12:15 AM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Hollow
Any level of woodworking is found here. Glad your studying. No net when I got started. Well no computers either.

Al

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-19-2014, 07:17 PM

View scootch's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum.
Fascinated by your comment that you only have "bottom line of tools".
We all start out exactly like that, unless lucky enough to be born into.
As for me, I started out without advantage and worked very productively (and imaginatively) with just a few of the basics.
Time and affluence happened, and I accumulated the specialty tools, but paradoxically I kept encountering situation where I was missing that one special tool to do the job...endlessly.
This continued until I visited a very old shop in New England (boatbuilding). On the wall were decades of jigs, and the master of the shop joyed in relating the history of each.
This reminded me of the day when, constrained by budget and inexperience, I had to use my imagination, ingenuity and available references, to extend my tools to new purpose.
Now, in my shop, the wall is strung with the jigs I've made, used and the stories I tell about their uses persist long after the project has passed on, to family, friends, or sale.
Good luck, and take inspiration from the periodicals, and old timers.
Scootch from No. VA
post #5 of 7 Old 07-19-2014, 07:25 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
post #6 of 7 Old 07-19-2014, 08:41 PM

View Paarker's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome!

Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino
post #7 of 7 Old 07-19-2014, 10:06 PM

View asevereid's Photo Album My Photos
Hey there, welcome to WWT, enjoy your stay, and post often!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode