Hello - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 01-04-2011, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

View jason835's Photo Album My Photos
Hello

Hi Everyone,

I'm a 36 yr old Systems Manager in the health care industry. I recently decided to get off my computer after work and start doing more constructive things. Right now, I'm enjoying the hunting season. I've already gotten 3 buck, a small one up in Michigan at my dad's, and then a 6 point and an 8 point here at home in Alabama. When hunting season ends, and it starts to get a little warmer, I'll probably do some hiking/day trips.

But...to fill in those gaps, I've been thinking about woodworking. It's been a long time, but back in high school, I absolutely LOVED making the projects I made. The final project I made was a gun cabinet that would hold 8 or so guns with storage in the bottom. So, with that in mind, I started thinking about trying to get back into woodworking. I have virtually no tools. I have a cordless Makita drill that I need to get a new rechargable batter for. That's it. I know I'll have to have some initial investment, but I want to make sure I purchase the right things in the right order. I'm going to try to buy used off ebay or garage sales. I want to start with small projects for now, just to make sure I'm as interested while DOING the stuff as I am now thinking of it.

So, I'd like some advice if you'd like to give it. I'm pretty sure I'll need a electric hand sander, some kind of saw, square, measuring sticks/tape measure, some clamps. I'm sure there is more "little" stuff that I'll think of after I hit submit, but the inexpensive stuff I'm not too worried about. What tools would you recommend I get?

I've read on other threads that the tools you need depend on the project(s) you plan to do, and that makes sense. So, the projects I want to do initially would be ones that I can do with minimal tools, I'm not sure what those might be, so suggestions there would be great. I was thinking possibly stuff like, shelves for around the house, small tables maybe, cutting boards.

I would like to sell my finished products at bazars or through word of mouth, maybe even ebay.

Anyway, I've been reading the forums this afternoon and this place looks great. I'll probably goto Barnes & Noble on my way home from work to pick up a copy of Wood or Popular Woodworking. Then I'll see if I want to "invest" in a subscription.

Thanks Ya'll!

Jason Rosolowski
Duncanville, AL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Hickabilly

View mickit's Photo Album My Photos
Good to know you Jason. The folks 'round here know a lot, and are willing to share with rookies like us.

Mick

Life's too short to _________(fill in the blank)
post #3 of 6 Old 01-05-2011, 12:11 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from Texas !!!

Welcome to the forum.

As far as advice on tools, I would buy based upon the first project you want to start with.
Start with something small. You will find that you will be investing in more hand tools, manual as well as powered up front as you will need them most of the time. Example: circular saw, drill, sanders etc.

Small projects that sell at markets are a good way to start. Check the local listings in Craig's list also. You may find some folks selling their tools there.

Also, check to see if there is a local woodworking group/club. Most of these folks are real friendly and help with projects you have.

Tools are like guns, You can never have enough.
Where did I put that tape measure???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-05-2011, 02:19 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum and were glad to have you.

As for types of tools and projects there are so many options. I would look over the projects posted in the "Project Showcase" catagory and browse thru members albums. When you see something your interested in we can help with the tools needed.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-06-2011, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

View jason835's Photo Album My Photos
Well, I think I know what my very first project is going to be, specifically...heh

http://www.cabelas.com/taxidermy-cab...:referralID=NA

I need to make one of those for one of the deer I got this year. (not as big as the one in that picture :P )

So...as far as tools would go for that specific project. The only kind of saw I have at the house now is a hack saw. What kind of saw (manual or powered) would be the best one for me to buy to be able to cut the wood like I'd need it for this project? Then, to make the rounded edges, I'm pretty sure I would need a router to do that (it's been 20 years since woodshop class in HS). Or...is there another way to do that?

Those are the only 2 questions I can think of right now. I know for this first project, it will cost me more than just going out and purchasing an off the shelf mounting plaque, but that's not what this is about for me....I want to make it myself.

Thanks for the guideance so far!

Jason
post #6 of 6 Old 01-07-2011, 12:25 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason835 View Post
Well, I think I know what my very first project is going to be, specifically...heh

http://www.cabelas.com/taxidermy-cab...:referralID=NA

I need to make one of those for one of the deer I got this year. (not as big as the one in that picture :P )

So...as far as tools would go for that specific project. The only kind of saw I have at the house now is a hack saw. What kind of saw (manual or powered) would be the best one for me to buy to be able to cut the wood like I'd need it for this project? Then, to make the rounded edges, I'm pretty sure I would need a router to do that (it's been 20 years since woodshop class in HS). Or...is there another way to do that?

Those are the only 2 questions I can think of right now. I know for this first project, it will cost me more than just going out and purchasing an off the shelf mounting plaque, but that's not what this is about for me....I want to make it myself.

Thanks for the guideance so far!

Jason
Simple enough project to start with.

SAW = a hand powered coping saw or a electric jig saw to cut the basic shape.
EDGES = use a hand rasp and sand paper/sanding blocks (which you can make yourself) to clean up and round over the corners and smoothe the edges. Or buy a rotary tool to power sand/rout the edges or buy a small hand held router to finish the edges.

I would also buy a non-slip pad. Similar to the ones used in the drawers of tool boxes/kitchen cabinets. They sell that stuff now for woodworkers also. Just lay a sheet of that flat on your workbench or table and sand away.

To attach the two pieces together, if you don't have one, I would invest in an cordless drill. Preferably 18V batteries. Unless our going to use it every day on a job site the box store varieties will suffice for the occasional home use.

Tools are like guns, You can never have enough.
Where did I put that tape measure???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode