Greetings from TN. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 03-13-2010, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

View Mizer's Photo Album My Photos
Greetings from TN.

Found this group last week when searching for a DIY dry kiln. I have been sawing with a Wood-Mizer mill full time since 1991. I look forward to reading and interacting as I find my way around here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-14-2010, 09:58 AM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome. We like pictures and the forestry and milling section has been a little dead lately anyway, so post away if you have any.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-14-2010, 10:35 AM

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to our forum,Itchy Brother
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-14-2010, 11:19 AM

View mwhafner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome fellow Tennessean
post #5 of 10 Old 03-15-2010, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

I would like it if I had a picture of me removing steps that have been nailed to a prime white oak tree while the deer hunter is up in his stand.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-15-2010, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcomes. I will see about posting a few pics. We have been into some really big logs lately.
A little about my mill.
I saw butt logs for a larger mill. They have a circle saw head rig and I am sawing with a Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 . I have been sawing for them for about 15 years and average about 1.5 million bdf. a year. In years past I have had as many as three mills running at one time (big headache). I have been down to one mill for the last three years, which I like very much. I have three men plus myself that make up my crew. I run the lift and keep the mill supplied with logs and keep the lumber and slabs moved out.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Mizer, I didn't see you come through the door until now. Glad you did though you sound like our kind of guy. I echo Daren's request we'd love to see some pics. I haven't been getting to mill much lately either maybe 2 or 3 times a week. Have a lot of other stuff happening right now so maybe you can pull the sled for a while.

I have wanted to convert my mill to electric for a while. LT40HD Super Hydraulic 42hp Kuboata. I don't *mind* the diesel in fact it has gobs of power but IMO electric is the way to go. Did you start out with an electric or did you convert?

You can wait to answer these questions when you make your first post in the milling section . . . hint hint.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-15-2010, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

I posted a response over in the milling section. I guess I am in with both feet now.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-15-2010, 11:09 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome

You picked a great site to exchange knowledge with Texas Timbers and Daren.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #10 of 10 Old 03-16-2010, 12:14 AM

View ash123's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome! I messed up a pair of shorts in Tennessee back in 1995 riding up the hill on the trolly in Gatlinburg. I like Tennessee a lot. Food is good, scenery is nice, girls are pretty. I met up with Little Roy Wiggins in Pigeon Forge in 1993. He signed a whole mess of his tapes for me. I still have them in a safe place.

Dollywood has a lot of the craftsmen who used to be at Silver Dollar City. I got double back lost in Nashville between the river and the cemetery, and I had the biggest mess of grits on one plate I ever saw in my life in Memphis. I got on the Natchez Trace at Franklin and rode that all the way to Natchez.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode