Greetings from Southern California - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 12-05-2011, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

View Pirateblack's Photo Album My Photos
Greetings from Southern California

Hello all! I stumbled upon this site searching for tips on spraying poly via HVLP. That was several hours ago and now not only will I be spraying like a pro, I've increased my knowledge ten fold just searching around the site! Needless to say I had to join!

I've been kickin' this hobby around for some time. Started when I was just a wee lad watchin dad build stuff around the yard and house. I considered myself his little helper but was probably more of a nuisance than a great help. I did learn a great deal from him and use those skills still today. Unfortunately he is no longer with us. Finding the need to seek his wisdom for my little road blocks, I now must search the depths of the internets for advice.

I hope to be of as much help here as well as learn as much as I can! Lookin forward to meeting you all!

Sincerely
Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-05-2011, 12:47 AM

View aardvark's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome
I just sprayed my first waterbased poly yesterday, via air gun with compressor (old format I used to spray cars with, not hvlp).
I was impressed with the results, vs spray can and brushing like I've done prior, and clean up was wonderful. No solvents.
Likewise I obtained info right here last week in the "finishes" section (thanks guys).

Only issue I had was I was fighting temperatures of 45 deg, and went with Minwax fast drying, and it doesn't at that temp (as expected). Not optimum, and a few areas sagged a tad. I had to wet sand and re-coat. 4 coats later...I'm very pleased. What shocked me is how much easier this was over shooting lacquer based automotive work.

Good luck with your project.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-05-2011, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Well, this is my first attempt at spraying a polyurethane. We are refinishing our kitchen cabinets, trying to salvage them at least. Instead of sanding them down bare and restaining, we decided to de-gloss the old finish and paint with a satin finish latex epoxy. The paint came out perfect except it was easily damaged due to handling...fingerprints, dirt, etc. so we decided to give a nice durable satin poly finish. It's looking great, trouble is all the fine poly mist in the air! Have to figure a better ventilation method! Either that or adjust the gun to use less air and more material. By the end of it I'll have it mastered!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-05-2011, 05:34 AM

If done with wb poly, the smell is minimal to non existent.
With the old style guns, I had clouds hanging for hours in the garage. Problem with old guns is they interject a lot of air, vs hvlp format.
Old lacquer base stunk so bad, yet the mist settled faster. And then you have off gassing to deal with that can last days.

I'm certainly not an expert when it comes to polyurethane. My previous painting has all been auto restoration. A whole different game, and more demanding from a painting ability, standpoint.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-05-2011, 06:13 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateblack View Post
Well, this is my first attempt at spraying a polyurethane. We are refinishing our kitchen cabinets, trying to salvage them at least. Instead of sanding them down bare and restaining, we decided to de-gloss the old finish and paint with a satin finish latex epoxy. The paint came out perfect except it was easily damaged due to handling...fingerprints, dirt, etc. so we decided to give a nice durable satin poly finish. It's looking great, trouble is all the fine poly mist in the air! Have to figure a better ventilation method! Either that or adjust the gun to use less air and more material. By the end of it I'll have it mastered!

If you are using an oil base polyurethane, it's not easy to apply even with an HVLP. It's heavily bodied, and can run very easily. Any overspray will be airborne and land wherever it wants, and that's everywhere. The finish will stay wet long enough for even insects learning how to fly to land on. It will have an odor for a long time.

If you are sold on using an oil base topcoat, try thinning it about 25% with mineral spirits (or VM&P naptha for a faster dry) and wipe it on. It will dry faster, there will be no overspray or runs. Use a lint free "T" shirt material folded in a neat square pad.

A waterbase polyurethane can provide the same protection, stay clear, no stink, dry fast, and water clean up.

post #6 of 7 Old 12-05-2011, 09:39 AM

Good points to know.
Thanks Cabinetman.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-05-2011, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

I have been using oil based poly. I stopped after spraying one cabinet that was on its own so, switching to a wb sounds like a good idea for the rest. Thanks for the tip!

Tags
introduction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode