Greetings from metro Detroit - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 09-21-2011, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

View Kramer's Photo Album My Photos
Greetings from metro Detroit

My name is Frank, I am 34yrs old, and I live just outside of Detroit MI. My entire professional career has been in the construction industry. I have built comerica park (tigers) ford field (lions) and worked on just about every big 3 auto plant in my area as a millwright. Ten years ago I transitioned into natural stonework as a mason until a medical issue set me on the sidelines. I have worked with a wide variety of materials except for wood. I lost me brother a few years ago ( Kevin was a trim carpenter/cabinet maker) and I always admired his craft. With where I am at in my life, woodworking as a hobby/future makes sense to me. The natural beauty of wood strongly appeals to my creative nature and I am looking forward to what I can create.
I have slowly been buying tools for the last three months in anticipation of my first project. Taking my time, reading a lot, and learning as I go. I have sketched my project many times, and built a model to scale to help work some of the bugs out. I have a purchase or two left ( ts ) and clear an area to set up a shop, then I can finally get this project off the ground.
I have been reading this forum for two months and it is by far the most welcoming I have run across. I look toward to participating. Thanks - Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-21-2011, 06:11 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
A fellow Michigander!

There's a few of us here. Not many millwrights, although I worked with quite a few at GM Design. So you wanna be a woodworker?
Furniture? Cabinets from sheet stock? Small chests and boxes?
Power tools or handmade? Those different projects will require different tools and techniques. Sharp tools are the key to quality work and good woodworking techniques.
So welcome aboard Frank, and start an album with some of your projects and a picture of your shop. We like pictures here, and as the saying goes "without a picture...it didn't happen" bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 11 Old 09-21-2011, 06:19 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Hungry like a Hippo

View cellophane's Photo Album My Photos
I <3 Detroit.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-23-2011, 05:17 AM

View woodtick greg's Photo Album My Photos
another mi. member, awesome, welcome from clinton twp, mi. it is an addicting hobby and very rewarding in so many ways, enjoy your journey. whats your first project going to be?
post #6 of 11 Old 09-23-2011, 10:48 AM

View slicksqueegie's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome

Welcome to the forum neighbor!

Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
post #7 of 11 Old 09-23-2011, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the responses! I live in Roseville so I am quite close to some of you. The project I am designing is a set of surround sound speakers for me, sideboard for my wife, and a pergola for everybody. The sideboard I feel will be the most complicated so that will come last. I have a lot to learn about proper jointing before I start that adventure.

Quick question for the locals - where do you guys source your quality wood? I found a family owned lumber yard the other day who have some good options. I guess I am wondering if there are any hidden gems in our area? If anyone has suggestions for sourcing quality wood in general I'm all ears. Thanks guys - Frank
post #8 of 11 Old 09-23-2011, 03:56 PM
where's my table saw?

here' some I use

Pontiac Plywood, Baldwin Rd in Pontiac
Armstrongs Mill Works on M-59, Hignland
LL Johnson, Charlotte Mi.
Craigs List
Woodcraft on Van Dyke at 18 Mile,
Rockler on Woodward at 11 mile
Drayton Plywood, Frembes Rd. Drayton Plains
And Local sawmills for rough sawn and Mobile saw mills for on site milling
bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #9 of 11 Old 09-23-2011, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Thank you sir! That is an incredibly valuable post. I grew up a half mile away from armstrong's mill works, completely forgot about them. I've been to rockler a few times in the last two weeks making purchases. I got lucky the day before their inventory and picked up some router bits for 25% off. Thanks again, I will be checking those places out.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-23-2011, 06:16 PM
where's my table saw?

Armstrong guys are great and can mill while you wait...just don't show up mid morning on Sat. tooo crowded.
LL Johnson has large quantities and a nice showroom full of Jet Equipment and Saw stop. Also nice folks. I bought 500 bft of Cypress last month.
Here's a link. I've never used them, but they are close to me just off I-75 near the Palace.
http://local.yahoo.com/info-16272187...s-auburn-hills

post #11 of 11 Old 09-23-2011, 10:24 PM

View Woodworkingkid's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum johns lumber is good and right in Roseville.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode