Greetings from a major amateur - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 07-24-2011, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

View onioner's Photo Album My Photos
Greetings from a major amateur

Howdy. I'm new to the forum, and new to woodworking. Last time I put something together myself was seventh grade shop class. That said, I've recently taken an interest in woodworking, and given my lack of knowledge and skills, I'm looking for a place where I can find some help. I've got limited tools available, and a very limited budget. I do happily have some friends out here with shops who have offered their assistance, but scheduling can make that really tough, and the more I can do at home, the better.

I'll describe briefly what I'm lookin' to do. Primarily I want to build cabinets for guitar amplifiers and speakers. I'm also getting very into tube amplifiers, and hope to start building my own. Unlike most tube amp enthusiasts, I much prefer the look of finished wood. While it is likely cheaper and easier to just buy cabinets from any number of reputable builders, I'd like to do my own, both for enjoyment's sake, and to hopefully better match my vision. These things are super simple, and I hope to progressively get better and better, though there are major hurdles to cross (joining being my current predicament). Plus, one can never have too many speaker cabinets...

From time to time I'll also have some other projects. For instance, I'd like to build some basic bookshelves, so as to get the massive piles of books that line our hallway up off the floor. I'm sure I'll think of other fun projects as well.

As far as background, I'm a thirty-one year old guy, originally from Baltimore, who's lived around the SF bay for six years now. I'm currently in West Berkeley. I've been in high end foodservice for over a decade now, first in restaurants, and lately in artisan meats (I'm currently the Production Manager for a small, local, artisan salumi plant, and I'll soon be at a new Berkeley butcher shop specializing in whole animals, cut to order). I've got tons of cooking and food knowledge, and working in small businesses has at least taught me some of the basics of handywork, though I mostly just follow instructions...

I'm also a music guy. I've been playing the cello since I was three, and I've picked up various other instruments over the years. Mostly that's piano, banjo, and the aforementioned electric guitars. I've got a wide range of influences and interests. I even got through half of college as a performance arts student (though I finished as an English major (which was basically a cop-out...)). It was my interest in amplifiers that got me thinking about woodworking, but I hope to take it much farther than just building speaker and amplifier cabinets.

Yup. I guess I should also mention I talk to much. I'm a quick typer, so... I'll try not to ramble too much, but I'll probably fail at that.

I'll post more details at what I'm trying to accomplish right now at a later date in a more appropriate forum, but just wanted to introduce myself, and offer a sample of my first attempt at woodworking. There are many, many things wrong with this, but all in all, for my first try since middle school, I don't feel like it's that bad. Most of the cosmetic issues I already know how to do better. Structurally is a different story. I really need to figure out how to make some better joints, but, like I say, I'll leave that for a different post in a different forum. This is also free wood, and though it's pretty lousy, and super soft, it's nice learning with free wood...

Edited here after reading the picture posting rules... pic to follow.

For anyone wondering, that is a Phaez Corona 25W amplifier, built by Randy Fey, of Ontario (an incredible builder). It's basically a Fender Twin Reverb style amplifier (minus the reverb) in a 25W 2 6v6 chassis, but with a few tweaks. Absolutely lovely thing.

Last edited by onioner; 07-24-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-24-2011, 03:47 PM
Mike

View PurpleHeartJarHead's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by onioner View Post
For anyone wondering, that is a Phaez Corona 25W amplifier, built by Randy Fey, of Ontario (an incredible builder). It's basically a Fender Twin Reverb style amplifier (minus the reverb) in a 25W 2 6v6 chassis, but with a few tweaks. Absolutely lovely thing.
Oh, thanks for clearing that up for me...

Welcome aboard!

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
post #3 of 10 Old 07-24-2011, 03:47 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-24-2011, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Hmm... Well, I'm having trouble scaling an image down small enough to fit the standards here. Is it really that frowned upon to link to a hosting site? I understand that that can create dead links and such, but them some awfully tight restrictions on filesize here.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-24-2011, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I'm getting a bit confused by the rules here, but after a bit more digging, it seems like posting links to hosting sites is actually allowed. Seems the better solution to me anyways, so as to keep less info stored locally. Yeah, they can go dead. That happens.

So... on the third try, here, again, is my very poorly done first attempt at an amplifier cabinet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartJarHead View Post
Oh, thanks for clearing that up for me...
Feel free to only read the word "Fender."
post #6 of 10 Old 07-24-2011, 04:55 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
post #7 of 10 Old 07-25-2011, 08:52 AM

View scarecrow's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum.

Wood warps no matter what!

Scarecrow Avenue Furnishings
post #8 of 10 Old 07-25-2011, 09:25 AM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
Welcome! Question about your tube head...Sure you have enough ventilation for those power tubes? Maybe a slit up front for cross ventilation? Those babies get very warm.

Harrison, at your service!
post #9 of 10 Old 07-25-2011, 11:36 AM

View MrWoodworking's Photo Album My Photos
A metal strip or wood lattice front would look nice on that.

Signature removed by rrbrown
post #10 of 10 Old 07-25-2011, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. A. S. View Post
Welcome! Question about your tube head...Sure you have enough ventilation for those power tubes? Maybe a slit up front for cross ventilation? Those babies get very warm.
They do indeed get pretty toasty, and ventilation is certainly a worthwhile concern. It gets much, much worse when dealing with high wattage amps, which is why the darned things are so big. For something this size, that's actually pretty roomy. I've seen more than a few similar amps with completely closed fronts, open only in back. I'm not saying that's the best idea, and functionally, something that breathes (like grill cloth, or a metal mesh) is probably an improvement, but from what I've seen, I'm actually being generous with free space, though yes, if I put a solid front on (like I'm working on right now...), that won't be helping air flow.

From what I understand, poor ventilation mostly just serves to shorten tube life. Granted, since I have a penchance for good old glass, which is not cheap, it would probably be wise of me to make ventilation more of a priority.

Or, I can do what I've been planning, and rig up an old computer fan on a hook, and just move it around to whatever amp's in use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoodworking View Post
A metal strip or wood lattice front would look nice on that.
Indeed. Grill cloth, or a metal mesh, are the two most popular solutions, but I like the idea of using wood instead. Haven't really figured out just how to do that. I've thought about knocking some knots out of a piece of gnarled wood, and leaving those holes open, or something along those lines, just to open it up a bit. Then again, a metal mesh would be really easy, and the most efficient solution... I dunno.

Take two is gonna have a completely closed front, but really generous room, for fewer tubes, generating a good deal less heat. I'm gonna finish that before I get back to taking another stab at this amp. Still thinking about what to do with that front.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode