Greetings from the land of Buckeyes - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 10-27-2011, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Inept

View DocWard's Photo Album My Photos
Greetings from the land of Buckeyes

Hello everyone. I am usually at a bit of a loss when it comes to introductions, so i may ramble a bit, but bear with me.

I found the forum from the DIYChatroom forum, and thought I would join. I initially thought I would label myself as "troglodyte" but decided "inept" would be a better choice. While I am a bit old fashioned in many ways, I am not willfully ignorant or backward as the dictionary definition would suggest.

I thought I would join because I have found myself needing to do woodworking and some projects around the house lately, and realized some information could be a good thing. I recently finished my first woodworking project since Junior High School wood shop (I'm 45), a gun cart for Cowboy Action Shooting. While it will be functional, it certainly is no work of art. I built it on a welding cart and hopefully someday I will rebuild it... better, faster, stronger...

I was permanently loaned an old Craftsman table saw to build it. Other than that, I have an old drill, a saber saw, some cordless Makita tools that I need new batteries for, and a planer that I bought to plane down a door. Technically that wasn't a true project as the door was already built, I just did the basics of the hinges and holes for the door knob. It never got put up because my wife didn't like the stain because it didn't match what we have already, so it is also unfinished! I also have the ubiquitous Craftsman mechanic's tool set, and not a lot of room in the garage.

Some things I would like to build eventually include a shelving hutch for my model building table, a work bench so I don't have to use the tiny Black and Decker Workmate, and an "old fashioned" ammo box, for carrying ammunition for shooting.

I won't have a lot to add in the woodworking arena, since I am pretty much the "anti-Norm Abrams," but I will do my best to give input where I can.

I do look forward to my time here.

See, morbid and creepifying, I got no problem with...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-27-2011, 09:30 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
post #3 of 14 Old 10-27-2011, 09:42 AM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
welcome aboard

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-27-2011, 10:14 AM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome!... From the land of the #1 LSU TIGERS!

~tom ...it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...
post #5 of 14 Old 10-27-2011, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Inept

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
Welcome!... From the land of the #1 LSU TIGERS!

~tom ...it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...
Thanks, but I said the land of Buckeyes, not the land of the Buckeyes! We are the Buckeye State, My National Guard Brigade, the 37th Infantry Brigade is descended from the 37th Division, "the Buckeye Division" which won fame for the Philippine Campaign, among others, in WWII and goes back to WWI.

When it comes to sports, I tend to be a University of Kentucky fan, the land of my forebears. SEC for me, thank you!

post #6 of 14 Old 10-27-2011, 11:54 AM

View aardvark's Photo Album My Photos
Ohio, eh?
Originally born in Lima and hung in N/W Ohio for many years. Married a good woman from there and defected to Michigan for most of my life in Mo-town area, Indiana, and Now Illinois.
Yeah we all start with the small things and then you find yourself with a hook in your mouth and you get reeled into the boat flopping and buying more tools.
Greetings.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-27-2011, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Inept

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
Ohio, eh?
Originally born in Lima and hung in N/W Ohio for many years. Married a good woman from there and defected to Michigan for most of my life in Mo-town area, Indiana, and Now Illinois.
Yeah we all start with the small things and then you find yourself with a hook in your mouth and you get reeled into the boat flopping and buying more tools.
Greetings.
I have enough hobbies costing me money! I also don't have a ton of room for a workshop. My first priority is probably going to be a small workbench for my garage.

post #8 of 14 Old 10-27-2011, 08:14 PM

I get that.^
I restore cars, and mess with em.
Makes it rough to cut wood outside so I don't layer the garage up with sawdust.

But when the bug bites, watch out.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-27-2011, 08:18 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum fellow Buckeyeian.
Mike Hawkins
post #10 of 14 Old 10-27-2011, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Inept

Quote:
I get that.^
I restore cars, and mess with em.
Makes it rough to cut wood outside so I don't layer the garage up with sawdust.

But when the bug bites, watch out.
I used to love messing with cars, but haven't had much opportunity to do it of late. I have a laundry list of things I would like to do to my car, a Neon R/T, and my truck, a 2008 Tundra. The list seems to get longer instead of shorter.

post #11 of 14 Old 10-27-2011, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Inept

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Welcome to the forum fellow Buckeyeian.
Mike Hawkins
Thanks!

post #12 of 14 Old 10-28-2011, 06:29 AM

I'm running 7 cars in the driveway, 5 of my own, w/ 2 being collectibles.
1970,Saab model 96/1992,Mustang GT/, and daily drivers are Saab 900T/2 Benz's. So garage space is getting sparse.

My woodworking isn't Norm Abrams fine joinery either. If I can't rough it out with a chain saw, I walk away from it.
Mainly since I'm not set up to do the fine work. Latest acquisition is hollowed out logs, with 2" to 5" side thicknesses and a diameter of 30" to 42" across. I obtained about 25 ft worth and cut them into table height sections, stripped the bark, killed the bugs. and am drying em now. Next is to finish em and put glass tops over em.
Also came across some oak burl. Huge chunks. Some 4 ft long, x 2.5 ft. tall and 8" thick Beautiful grain. Not sure what to do with em yet, except to slab em out .

As you can imagine, that Ohio wife is a saint, putting up with my space consuming hobbies, but she likes the end products.
post #13 of 14 Old 10-28-2011, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Inept

Quote:
I'm running 7 cars in the driveway, 5 of my own, w/ 2 being collectibles.
1970,Saab model 96/1992,Mustang GT/, and daily drivers are Saab 900T/2 Benz's. So garage space is getting sparse.
All I can say is I am envious. Although my foreign car interests run toward RX-7s, I'm a die hard Mustang fan, and hope to have another someday.

Quote:
My woodworking isn't Norm Abrams fine joinery either. If I can't rough it out with a chain saw, I walk away from it.
I like your style.

Quote:
Also came across some oak burl. Huge chunks. Some 4 ft long, x 2.5 ft. tall and 8" thick Beautiful grain. Not sure what to do with em yet, except to slab em out .
My hobbies being what they are, I immediately thought to myself they would make beautiful handgun grips or wooden stocks for long arms.

Quote:
As you can imagine, that Ohio wife is a saint, putting up with my space consuming hobbies, but she likes the end products.
In other words, she's a keeper!

post #14 of 14 Old 10-28-2011, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Inept

I just want to add that after browsing and lurking around some, I now realize I have a lot to learn. A whole lot!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode