Greetings from hmsmike! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 11-11-2010, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
~Tiger Woods Wingman~

View hmsmike's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to hmsmike
Smile Greetings from hmsmike!

Good Morning!!

My name is Mike from just outside of Charlotte, NC (Harrisburg) and I am completely new to woodworking!!! My desire to learn some good stuff and learn a time honored and valued trade. I have just recently decide to turn the once storage shed in my backyard to an awesome shop. Which I am pretty sure was once that sometime before -- already had electricity & a workbench and they were nice enough to leave some wood to work with!!

Anyways I will go ahead and thank you in advance for your help in getting me started. I have been lurking on here for the past day or so and it sounds like you guys are really good at what you do and very helpful.

Just to give you guys a understanding of what I have so far: a few clamps, Circular saw, Jig saw, Dremel with a huge assortment kit, a few drills.

I am hoping to get on Black Friday: a compound miter saw and table saw and asking the wifey for a better air compressor!!

Well, that's about it --- I look forward to getting meet you guys!!

Sincerely,
Big Mike

Don't mind me --- I'm just a Noob!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-12-2010, 12:22 PM

View JohnK007's Photo Album My Photos
Howdy Mike, welcome from Illinois! Sounds like you've got your list for Santa pretty well filled out. Good luck! Make sure to take lots of photos as you convert that shed into a shop. We love to look at pictures! And don't be shy about asking questions. Lots of good info and helpful people here.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-12-2010, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
~Tiger Woods Wingman~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK007 View Post
Howdy Mike, welcome from Illinois! Sounds like you've got your list for Santa pretty well filled out. Good luck! Make sure to take lots of photos as you convert that shed into a shop. We love to look at pictures! And don't be shy about asking questions. Lots of good info and helpful people here.
10-4 on that!! Actually I should take photos tonight ... I got it in good working order!!

As far as the Christmas List -- I knocked 2 things off, I came across some good deals at a local mall of a store that was closing and I picked up a plunge router and orbital sander out the door for around $50!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-12-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmsmike View Post
As far as the Christmas List -- I knocked 2 things off, I came across some good deals at a local mall of a store that was closing and I picked up a plunge router and orbital sander out the door for around $50!!!
Nice score! Looks like your well on your way down that slippery slope. Hang on !!
post #5 of 12 Old 11-12-2010, 04:59 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum Big Mike,
I am pretty new to nascar this year, so maybe we can trade some tips back and forth. Sounds like you're on your way to some relaxing and sawdust. I started watching nascar races this year because a bunch of people I know do and I didn't want to be left out. I root for Joey Logano, he reminds me of my older boy about the same age.
Mike Hawkins
post #6 of 12 Old 11-12-2010, 08:11 PM

View burkhome's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome. I like a guy that knows the true meaning of black Friday.... GETTIN TOOLS

Roger from the Great Horicon Swamp
post #7 of 12 Old 11-12-2010, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
~Tiger Woods Wingman~

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Welcome to the forum Big Mike,
I am pretty new to nascar this year, so maybe we can trade some tips back and forth. Sounds like you're on your way to some relaxing and sawdust. I started watching nascar races this year because a bunch of people I know do and I didn't want to be left out. I root for Joey Logano, he reminds me of my older boy about the same age.
Mike Hawkins
Cool welcome to wonderful & fast world of NASCAR!! Actually hoping to win another championship this year!! (God Willing) You are absolutely correct about relaxing --- I really feel at piece working on something. I really hope I can get good at it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhome View Post
Welcome. I like a guy that knows the true meaning of black Friday.... GETTIN TOOLS
Uhh you mean there was any other reason for Black Friday?!?!

Thanks for the welcome guys!!!

post #8 of 12 Old 11-14-2010, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
~Tiger Woods Wingman~

Quote:
Hey John finally got the pics of the shop up ... you can see it in my album >>link below<< or the in the forum post of show your shop

CLICK HERE

post #9 of 12 Old 11-15-2010, 01:15 AM

Nice shop there Mike! Looks like a great place to get some work done. What are the dimensions? And I bet that window AC unit comes in handy on those North Carolina summer afternoons !
post #10 of 12 Old 11-15-2010, 09:46 AM

View burkhome's Photo Album My Photos
Nice place to work. I could see many hours being spent in that space. I would guess rust could be a problem in the NC summer. My only experience with NC was when my son was stationed ad Camp La Jeune. Seemed like humidity could be a problem.

Roger from the Great Horicon Swamp
post #11 of 12 Old 11-15-2010, 10:15 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome aboard Mike. I'm glad you started your album because as you know we like pictures. Your starting up at a good time with Christmas coming. That's a nice list to start with but save a little money for the after Christmas clearance sales. I got a feeling they might have a few good ones this year.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-15-2010, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
~Tiger Woods Wingman~

Quote:
Nice shop there Mike! Looks like a great place to get some work done. What are the dimensions? And I bet that window AC unit comes in handy on those North Carolina summer afternoons !
Hahaha got AC but no heat LOL, but yea NC is more known for the heat anyways, yesterday was T-shirt weather playing with boys in the front yard --- Yea I have to back to ya on the dim's but there is ample room to work in there. I'm sure I could rip some boards on a table saw if needed to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhome View Post
Nice place to work. I could see many hours being spent in that space. I would guess rust could be a problem in the NC summer. My only experience with NC was when my son was stationed ad Camp La Jeune. Seemed like humidity could be a problem.
Ah god bless your son for serving!! Yea my wife is already going crazy about the time spending out there, but I'm quick to point out that will only help our marriage if I'm not there to argue with her!!

Yea I am concerned about the rust, not sure how I might tackle that yet but I guess I have all winter to figure it out!

Tags

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode