5Likes
  • 1 Post By AltcarBob
  • 2 Post By Pineknot_86
  • 1 Post By Catpower
  • 1 Post By AltcarBob

post #1 of 6 Old 01-24-2018, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

View AltcarBob's Photo Album My Photos
Greetings from England

Hi Guys and Gals I am from Lancashire England I am 51 and semi retired but working harder than ever. I used to work as a Heavy Goods Vehicle mechanic and driver but gave up full time work to look after my disabled Mother. I work 5 mornings a week as a Taxi driver and look after Mum in the afternoons and weekends.

I have always been handy, able to fix things and build a good solid shelf that only needed 3 coats of paint to hide the joints and filler but recently I have begun to scratch the itch I always got when I saw a good wood joint. Over the years I have aquired a good set of chisels some of them handed down from my Grandfather which are over a hundred years old but can still take and keep a razors edge. I am now starting to aquire power tools and jigs to help me cut out some of the boring planing, jointing and sawing but I really enjoy the feel of a Chisel slicing through wood.

My aim over the next year is to increase my skills so that I can at least have a go at all parts of the cabinet makers trade and maybe if I live to be 150 master the trade.
Brian T. likes this.

Measure twice, Cut once, Then force it to fit with a big hammer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-25-2018, 09:43 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum. Does one every master any trade? To me, it is a lifetime of learning. I had to take care of my mother for three years. Fortunately, I was retired so time was not a factor. Good to help pay back the time our mothers spent raising us.
Catpower and AltcarBob like this.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-25-2018, 10:58 AM

View bargoon's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum. It's always nice to have international members possibly with different materials, tools, and methods.
Cheers

THE GOOD NEWS: You create your own destiny...THE BAD NEWS: You create your own destiny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-25-2018, 11:54 AM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum, it is good to be able to take care of your mom, mine has been gone for about 25 years, still miss both of my parents
AltcarBob likes this.

There is no app for experience
post #5 of 6 Old 01-25-2018, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

View AltcarBob's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the welcome guys. Its fascinating to learn the different terms used on the left hand side of the Atlantic,
Dado???? why was everyone talking about the bit of a wall between the Dado Rail and the Skirting Board???? Oh they mean a Housing.
Rabbet???? fluffy animal with big teeth and ears eats carrots???? Oh they mean a Rebate.
Wrench no problem got that one its a Spanner.
Onlay???? google google google Oh an Applique.

Its no bother to look after Mum after all she put up with me when I was a teenager when I would have punched myself in the face for being a dickhead (translation = jerk).
Actually thinking on I would have taken a 2 x 4 to myself when I was 15.
Catpower likes this.

Measure twice, Cut once, Then force it to fit with a big hammer.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-25-2018, 01:44 PM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
Hello @AltcarBob--welcome and I have to say that Paul Sellers is one of my woodworking heroes. He's got a lot of instructional videos on YouTube. You ought to check it out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode