Greetings from the Catskills - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 01-11-2011, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

View yknot's Photo Album My Photos
Greetings from the Catskills

Good evening all,

How is everyone this fine evening? Just moved into a new home on the sunny side of the mountain and having finished most of the boxes in the house I'm starting to turn some attention to the garage.

I'm a hacker. Started woodworking late in life but do enjoy working on projects. I'm so slow, my friends say that most of my projects are antiques before I finish them!

Our new place has a nice 28X28 two car garage with an attached open car port. The garage itself is well insulated (except for the double garage lift door).

Just had some folks in today and learned that the woodstove really isn't up to code (melted tar paper/ too small opening for 8in Chimney pipe, etc.) Upgrades will probably be expensive. Have started wondering about other options.

Does anyone have experience or a point of view about infrared heaters in a garage like I am describing? Would like to hear folks views before I leap one way or tuther.

Thanks, looking forward to chatting with you folks.

yknot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-12-2011, 12:14 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from Texas !!!

Welcome to the forum.

I would stay away from open flame heat in the shop. Especially if you have paints / stains etc. Not to mention the explosive nature of dust when it accumulates heavy enough in the air.

I would only consider wood heat in my shop as long as the shop is not attached to the house. Burn down the shop, burn down the house.
I had access to a well built shop years ago and we used a wood stove to heat the shop. Construction lumber (pine) makes for nice wood stove in a shop heat. Be carefull that you don't use too much pine at a time as the resin that does not burn will collect in the chimmney.

Tools are like guns, You can never have enough.
Where did I put that tape measure???
post #3 of 4 Old 01-12-2011, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

View yknot's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks Texas Sawduster

Yeah, about a year ago a friend of mine lost his whole home from a hidden frayed wire in his shop in the basement of the house. Very sad thing to see happen. The guy really loves woodworking. He and his family are doing remarkably well recovering from that setback.

Our garage is detached so that helps. I have been looking into these propane radiant heaters. It gets pretty chilly here 4-5 months out of the year, I just can't figure if the radiant heaters are a good idea for this application. Do they pose an explosion hazard? In our old place I had a Monitor kero heater, that worked real well but I am interested in other options for this new shop before I jump into one thing or another.

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-12-2011, 10:19 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Halogen Lights

I would not be opposed to a radiant type heater. I would still be carefull of fumes and dust.

One thing you may want to consider is to get some of the hologen lights on the tripod stands and turn them on. They do put out quite a bit of heat. Not to mention you get lots more light in the shop.

Tools are like guns, You can never have enough.
Where did I put that tape measure???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode