It was going to be so simple! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 08-17-2009, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
cmo

View cmo's Photo Album My Photos
Cool It was going to be so simple!

Hi WoodworkingTalk, I'm Chris and I think I'm going to be a woodworkaholic.

(Hi, Chris!)

It all started when I adopted two very rambunctious kittens who had been abandoned and subsequently found by my girlfriend and one of her friends. They're starting to outgrow their dinky little PetSmart scratching post and I thought, hey, I could build them something bigger and more attractive, for less money, than the overpriced white carpet monstrosities at the pet store. If I wanted a yeti in my living room I'd just bleach my body hair.

Then I thought, hey, why not build a cat tree instead? And while I'm at it, I could use some more book shelves, and an aquarium stand, and the next thing I knew I was standing in Sears with an armload of saws and chisels trying to figure out what (sales tax * a lot) equals. My only saving grace was that, as an apartment dweller and something of an old-school purist, I could safely give the table saws and drill presses a wide berth.

Plus, I figure a "real skill" could be handy if I ever see Hindi for Dummies on my boss's bookshelf

As I no know experienced woodworkers and there seems to be no woodworking club here in Baton Rouge, I've been turning to the Internet for guidance and thought I might as well register so that I can ask questions of all you fine folk. I'm recently out of college and live in an apartment, so my space and tool considerations don't match the assumptions of most of the woodworking books and articles I've seen - but from reading posts on this and other discussion sites I know it can be done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-19-2009, 08:52 PM

View hammerhead's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Chris,

Welcome fellow "new guy".

One of my first WW projects was a cat condo for our furball. My wife and I designed and built it about two years ago. It's holding up well and the feline actually likes it. Saved $$$ too. I'll post a picture tomorrow. I'd be glad to share any design tips. Mmmm here's one - consider 1/2" sisal rope in lieu of carpet.

When you live in an apartment you could throw a tablecloth over the tablesaw call it a dining room table! lol uh unplug it first though

Have fun.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-20-2009, 06:41 PM
just a dude

View rocklobster's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
When you live in an apartment you could throw a tablecloth over the tablesaw call it a dining room table! lol uh unplug it first though

Have fun.
Add a corkscrew to the drill press and you have one heckuva wine opener. A bandsaw does a nice job of slicing up the prime rib. You get the picture.

Welcome.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-21-2009, 05:18 PM

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Chris!

This reminded me of when I was 20 years old and also an apartment dweller. I bought a Sears 12 Radial Arm saw to build my own book cases. Well I set it up inside my kitchen because I didnt want sawdust in the carpet and within 15 min after firing that baby up, I had the apartment manger pounding on my door. I was told I could not do that and I had to leave, so I rented a 1200 sq ft warehouse were I lived and worked until I got kicked out of that place, because I was not allowed to live there.

JohnnyB
Im a die hard DIY guy. Dont tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-21-2009, 10:10 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Chris,
Welcome to the forum. Good luck on your projects. I am allergic to cats so I don't have any projects I can blame on them. I have a yellow lab, but she hasn't put any requests in. She just likes to keep me company in the shop.
Mike Hawkins
post #6 of 8 Old 08-22-2009, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
cmo

View cmo's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklobster View Post
Add a corkscrew to the drill press and you have one heckuva wine opener. A bandsaw does a nice job of slicing up the prime rib. You get the picture.

Welcome.

Rob
I may add that drill press to my wish list... but that bandsaw trick sounds like a mess. I'm too poor for prime rib and I hate cleaning the kitchen as it is
post #7 of 8 Old 08-23-2009, 06:27 PM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum.

Red

Red
post #8 of 8 Old 08-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
WELCOME TO THE FORUM

This is not a unique scenario. Many members are "space challenged". I would suggest that this project could be pulled off nicely with hand tools and some portable ones, like hand saws, a circular saw, maybe a jig saw, hammer, nails, cordless/corded drill, screws, wood glue, hot glue gun, hot glue, utility knife, and various doo dads.

Once you get into a design, we'll all chime in with our combined BS. Some of it might even be helpful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode