Glad to be here - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 03-04-2011, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

View Fudwrecker's Photo Album My Photos
Glad to be here

Hi I'm Brian from just North of Toronto - I just started hobby woodworking just before the winter. It has been a long winter as my shop is in the unheated garage and in the last few months I have had a project stain badly (too cold I guess) had my wood glue freeze (i keep it inside now!) and have had to sit inside burning my scraps when it is just too cold to go out there. Today it is above freezing and I'm counting the minutes until the end of the work day - when I will go out and continue my current project (a cabinet of cedar lined drawers for our linen closet). I'm about to graduate from Home Depot pine and ply and currently have a order in for walnut at the local mill - which I'm very excited about - it cost a lot of money and had to pay to have it plained - so doing lots of research on how to finish walnut and ended up here. I wish I had found you all about 6 months ago as I tend to learn things the hard way!

Last edited by Fudwrecker; 03-04-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #3 of 7 Old 03-04-2011, 11:19 AM

View JMC'sLT30's Photo Album My Photos
Glad to have you here Brian, love the enthusiasm and can't wait to see your work. Good luck, Have fun, and Be safe.

"IF IT'S TOO TOUGH FOR THEM, IT'S JUST RIGHT FOR ME"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-04-2011, 01:53 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome aboard. I too work in an unheated garage so know just what you mean. I'm fortunate to have a very large basement, all mine, in which to do gluing and finishing but winters are still a drag.

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #5 of 7 Old 03-04-2011, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

I built my shop in there last year and really was not thinking - I should have instulated the outside walls before I built my shelves in - i did manage to build a stand for second set of tires and all the bikes so I guess I have what you would call a small shop that serves a number of other purposes. It is probably more of a storage space that I have managed to organize to squeeze in some portable tools!

I get by but I sure do dream about someday having a dedicated (Heated) space with a dust collector and the ability to move around! That being said I'm just happy to have some where to work, create and learn the craft. It thrills me that I can tap into your expertise and knowledge as I have a ton to learn (but the rest of my life to learn it!) Like I said before I tend to learn the hard way and really I think the most important lesson I've lerned thus far is "patience".
post #6 of 7 Old 03-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Penmaker

View PenmanBean's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Brian! I'm new here too and already feel welcome to the group. Hope to exchange a lot of Ideas and plans.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-15-2011, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Penman Bean;195113]Welcome Brian! I'm new here too and already feel welcome to the group. Hope to exchange a lot of Ideas and plans.[/QUOTE

Welcome penman! This group is great, at first I felt a bit intimidated by all the wonderful things they all build and post - but then realized that you have to start somewhere !! What better place then picking the brains of guys(and gals) this talented!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode