Gift Ideas For a woodworker - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By MT Stringer

post #1 of 5 Old 05-22-2017, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

View okie98's Photo Album My Photos
Gift Ideas For a woodworker

Hi, I am looking for a great gift Idea for a father in law that has spent a ton on my wedding. He has a well equipped shop and pretty advanced in the craft. This gift must be able to fly back home with him. I was thinking a really nice personalized apron or something? Was wanting it to be at least $100. Anything you have received that you really love? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-22-2017, 12:42 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Gift card. He knows what he wants and you don't.
Just sayin'

"Hey, I didn't know what to get ya so here is a small token of our appreciation. Now go buy something for your shop."
budiman0416 and Toolman50 like this.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-23-2017, 01:49 PM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Fully agree with MT, a gift card, but consider the card from a wood store where your FIL is satisfied with service and selection. Please - NEVER a "big box store"!!! Just ask him, or maybe your new spouse will know or can find out. A wood type magazine subscription may also be OK, but IMO would not generate as much excitement as buying some new "toys". Be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-23-2017, 10:12 PM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
Get him a gift card from Lie-Nielsen Toolworks for about $300. He may not Need a hand tool from Lie-Nielsen, but I'm sure they have something that he could use. It would be a Special tool of heirloom quality that would remind him of you every time he used it. A gift certificate from a local store won't likely be used for anything special, it will be appreciated in the moment he uses it to make a purchase, but after a while he won't remember what he used it for.

Enjoy yourself, life is short
post #5 of 5 Old 05-24-2017, 08:14 AM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
You can also get "credit card" gift cards from Visa and Master Card. They can be use anywhere. This is better, since he might just need a tool from "the big box store".
Or he might need to restock the liquor cabinet.
Or he might decide it's time for a new fishing pole.

I've convinced my family to get me gift cards, only.
I got tired of ...
a new reel I'll never use, because it's the wrong kind.
a set of worthless screwdrivers.
a set of 150 drill bits for only $24.00 !!! (Whooooo, they thought they got me the "best gift, ever" with that one)

Now, I just get gift cards, and then thank them for what ever they ended up "getting" me when I buy it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode