Festool Equipment - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 03-26-2008, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

View richel's Photo Album My Photos
Festool Equipment

Hello

I'm a newbie into this woodworking hobby. I plan on retiring in a few months, and plan on getting into woodworking for a hobby. I purchased quite a few pieces of festool equipment, and was wondering if anyone out there has hands on experience with festool products, and could offer me some advice. From what I can tell, it is very accurate, but more importantly, very safe. It seems like it is as accurate as a table saw, but far less dangerous.

Greenfield Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-27-2008, 12:33 AM
Cabinetmaker

View skymaster's Photo Album My Photos
what item are you talking about?
the circular saw and guide?
post #3 of 6 Old 03-27-2008, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
what item are you talking about?
the circular saw and guide?

Yes, exactly. I feel that the saw with the guide is as accurate as using a table saw, without the kickback danger. Plus, you have the added advantage of the dust extraction that connects to every Festool piece of equipment. I have the saw, table, guide, router, rotex sander, and domino joiner.

Greenfield Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Cabinetmaker

View skymaster's Photo Album My Photos
The Festool is a great tool, very convient BUT it will NOT replace a tablesaw. You have no ability to cut multiple widths to the same dimension, you cannot get true parallel cuts, without a fence you have no real referance surface. You cannot get real square cuts.
For use on a jobsite it is great but in a "shop type" environment it has very limited use. Great for "breaking down" plywood but a tablesaw is required to finish those pcs into a square cabinet.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-28-2008, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

questioning your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
The Festool is a great tool, very convient BUT it will NOT replace a tablesaw. You have no ability to cut multiple widths to the same dimension, you cannot get true parallel cuts, without a fence you have no real referance surface. You cannot get real square cuts.
For use on a jobsite it is great but in a "shop type" environment it has very limited use. Great for "breaking down" plywood but a tablesaw is required to finish those pcs into a square cabinet.
Thank you so ;much for your reply. Like I said, I am new to woodworking. However, I don't see how this cannot replace a table saw. You measure, make your mark, lay the guide on it, and cut, Perfect and exact, the way I figure. It should be exact, and precisely square. Maybe I am overlooking something. My biggest issue is that I have a fear of the table saw. I do have one, but am trying my best to avoid it. I thought that Festool would allow me to do what the table saw does, without the danger.

Greenfield Rich
post #6 of 6 Old 04-02-2008, 12:49 PM

View neoshed's Photo Album My Photos
If you have or go get the MFT you certainly have the ability to make repeated,square cross cuts. Repeated ripping on the other hand I'm not so sure about.

As you already have a table saw, how about making a wood cover to place over it and use it as an addition worksurface?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode