ey up! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 04-04-2010, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
the chipper chippie :)

View chipper's Photo Album My Photos
Talking ey up!

ey up! I'm Mandy, I've been a site joiner for 5 years now, and I live in in the North of England (Yorkshire).

Where I work, we multi skill, so although I'm an apprentice trained 2nd fix joiner, I also do some plumbing, plastering, tiling, building, and whatever else is needed really except for elec or gas.

I love my job to bits, its taught me soooooo much :)

I'm divorced, have two sons, Ellis, 8 and Mitchell, 5 and am currently studying towards a HNC in Construction.

To be honest, that doesnt leave me very much time to do anything else lol but I'm hoping to maybe make some new friends on here and pick up some tips on the gaps in my knowledge (which are still huge!!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-04-2010, 10:06 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
Hey, welcome to the forum.

So, what does a site joiner and a fix joiner do exactly? (Or even approximately). Sounds like I'm gonna have to add new terms to my glossary.

Paul

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #3 of 10 Old 04-05-2010, 12:03 AM

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Mandy,Most youngins havent even heard of the term chippie LOL!Itchy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-05-2010, 12:29 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from Texas !!!

Welcome to the forum, Mandy.

Tools are like guns, You can never have enough.
Where did I put that tape measure???
post #5 of 10 Old 04-08-2010, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinds View Post
Hey, welcome to the forum.

So, what does a site joiner and a fix joiner do exactly? (Or even approximately). Sounds like I'm gonna have to add new terms to my glossary.

Paul
hi paul :D over here we tend to have site joiners or bench joiners. Bench joiners are usually based in a workshop, mostly using woodworking machines, whereas i rarely use those. I'm a site joiner, so i go to wherever I'm needed, which currently are empty homes. I go into houses when tenants have left, and fix whatever needs fixing. This is mostly "2nd fix" work, which is basically any work involving wood after the plasterer has completed, ie, floorboarding, skirting boards, architrave, fitting kitchens, hanging internal or external doors, double glazing units etc etc etc, the list is long and keeps me busy busy busy lol

so lol what do you do fella?
post #6 of 10 Old 04-08-2010, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchy Brother View Post
Welcome Mandy,Most youngins havent even heard of the term chippie LOL!Itchy
lol thats prob the same over here tbh, think its just those in the trade that seem to still use the term.
Although, i once told a hairdresser i was a joiner when he asked what i did.... you could see him ponder for a few seconds before asking....." oh, is that like welding things together?"
DOH!
post #7 of 10 Old 04-08-2010, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Sawduster View Post
Welcome to the forum, Mandy.
thanks texas, pmsl just seen your sig, i thought I was the only one to lose my tape on a daily basis lol does this mean i'm not alone??????

and if i had a quid for every time i dropped the fooker, i wouldn't need to work!
post #8 of 10 Old 04-08-2010, 03:33 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper View Post
hi paul :D over here we tend to have site joiners or bench joiners. Bench joiners are usually based in a workshop, mostly using woodworking machines, whereas i rarely use those. I'm a site joiner, so i go to wherever I'm needed, which currently are empty homes. I go into houses when tenants have left, and fix whatever needs fixing. This is mostly "2nd fix" work, which is basically any work involving wood after the plasterer has completed, ie, floorboarding, skirting boards, architrave, fitting kitchens, hanging internal or external doors, double glazing units etc etc etc, the list is long and keeps me busy busy busy lol

so lol what do you do fella?
Thanks for that clarification. What do I do? Well, among other things, I maintain a rather extensive web site of wood pics (URL below my name) and one of the subsets of that site is an extensive (but as yet incomplete) glossary of wood and woodworking terms, which is why I was asking about your terminology.

Paul

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #9 of 10 Old 04-09-2010, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinds View Post
Thanks for that clarification. What do I do? Well, among other things, I maintain a rather extensive web site of wood pics (URL below my name) and one of the subsets of that site is an extensive (but as yet incomplete) glossary of wood and woodworking terms, which is why I was asking about your terminology.

Paul

ahhhh, i see, i'll check out ya site when i get a spare min then. be interesting to see if the U.S terms vary much from the U.K ones
post #10 of 10 Old 04-18-2010, 09:06 PM
MuseumWood

View MuseumWood's Photo Album My Photos
Hello Ms Chips! Welcome to the Forum. It is a weak person who knows only their own strength! Might bring wisdom to this bunch! We can but hope.

I volunteer at a small museum (www.steppingstonemuseum.org) and have the honor to be one of the Masters of the Woodworking shop. We work in the 1870 to 1930 time range, so all of our tools are hand powered, except for the lathe, table saw and scroll saw, which are foot powered.

In our terminology, a Joiner or Jointer does the floors, doors, windows, trim and fixed furniture of a house. Framers do the structure and cabinetmakers do portable furniture.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode