Entheusiastic amateur alert - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 12-08-2009, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

View smeggy's Photo Album My Photos
Entheusiastic amateur alert

Hey all

I've been woodworking on and off forever but still can't saw a straight line to save my skin. I have way more tools and entheusiasm than skill, time or room, and my finished piece to scrap pile ratio is quite pitiful. It pains me to be wasting perfectly good chunks of (expensive) trees but I can't help myself.

I don't generally make things unless I have a specific purpose for it. These days it's mostly making headphones and some amplifier cases etc. I tend to take on more than I can chew and spend lots of time regretting my decisions. I'm constantly on the lookout for shortcuts to make my life simpler and quicker... which rarely seems to work for some reason

Anyway, hopefully we can help each other out with stuff and with luck, I might even learn something... old dog, new tricks syndrome here. Good to be here and hope I can contribute something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-08-2009, 07:44 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Nice intro, Welcome

Got any photos of stuff you made... if so post in an album. Be sure you post your location. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 9 Old 12-08-2009, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

I put some pics of stuff in the gallery. Not very interesting unless you like phones and amps and electronics :) I'm just as bad at the electrical stuff as I am with wood, so at least there's balance in the universe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-09-2009, 07:27 AM

View garryswf's Photo Album My Photos
Huge piles of Scrap

Smeggy,
I have read comments like the one you made, alot, "I'm not very good with wood". Not everyone on this thread is a craftsman in the "Finewood working department" mainly me. What i wil tell you is this, i'm not a great welder, know enough about a computer to get myself in trouble, and the list could go on longer than i can type. Here is the point i am trying to make, not everyones skill level can produce projects like Kenbo, Firehawk, and so many others on this forum. What you need to do is just slow down, ask questions when you need advice and "ENJOY" what you do when you are in your shop. Remember you work with wood not to please others but to please yourself and if you can do that well thats all that matters.

Kenbo and Firehawk, i used your names just as examples so please don't take it the wrong way, i have seen your work and both of you IMO are true craftsmen.
Welcome to the forum
post #5 of 9 Old 12-09-2009, 07:40 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Amatuer alert!

Good comments garry, here's my advice as well. If you want to become better at this hobby/craft/profession, practice will get you there. You don't necessarily have to make a project to practice. Set up a challenge like making a mortise and tenon joint in 3/4" pine or a half lap and just make several of these from your scrap wood pile. Get used to making stops and jigs to help keep the cuts precise. www.YouTube.com has tons of videos showing how to make everything from dovetails to taper jigs. Just get on there are search for what you want to do.
There are tips on sharpening your tools on this forum, setting up your saws accuratly, and many types of jigs. Look in the "TIPS" section here. That will get you started and you won't be "embarrased" if they don't turn out perfect at first, after all that's what practice is. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 12-09-2009 at 09:15 AM.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-09-2009, 09:01 AM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum.

Red

Red
post #7 of 9 Old 12-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Curmudgeon in Training

View Geoguy's Photo Album My Photos
Those headphones are awesome!

Dude, maybe you're not building furniture or a wooden car but those headphones are beautiful. Keep posting pics, and welcome to the forum.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-09-2009, 01:17 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from Texas

Welcome to the forum.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-10-2009, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

cheers guys, nice to be here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode