Enjoying Retirement in The Basement Shop - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By bill1608
  • 1 Post By bill1608

post #1 of 9 Old 03-24-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

View bill1608's Photo Album My Photos
Enjoying Retirement in The Basement Shop

The majority of my hobby time over the last 45 years has been repairing and restoring small and medium size woodworking machines, also a few metalworking machines. But now I am burned out on it and the used tool market is pretty dead. I am currently trying to get some shop floor space back and intend to focus on woodworking from now on. I have done some woodworking in the past. Table and 6 chairs, grandfather clock, end tables, double pedestal desk, quilt racks and many smaller projects. In the future I would like to make some small and medium size projects, but not large things like beds or big tables. I also plan to make a few woodworking fixtures and machines, like a horizontal slot mortiser. My woodworking/metalworking shop consumes most of my 2100 sq ft basement. I like a basement shop because it is a staircase away and always the perfect temperature. But getting things in and out of a basement shop can be a big problem, like in my old house. When I built the new house, I designed it with this in mind. I have a 4' x 8' trap door in the back of my garage and an I-beam with electric hoist above it to get things in and out of the basement shop, a real back and labor saver. The I-beam is long and I can lift things out of the back of my truck or a trailer. Attached is a photo to explain, taken in 2005 when I first moved in. The trap door is on hinges now and has a boat winch to raise and lower it. Extending the deck of the house over the back of the garage also gave me more sq ft in the basement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trap door.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	373503  

Piper and Kerrys like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-24-2019, 10:46 PM
Dust Maker

View samandothers's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like an ingenious solution! Fortunately my basement is walk out.

Enjoy retirement!
post #3 of 9 Old 03-25-2019, 09:45 AM
Go the distance!

View justdraftn's Photo Album My Photos
bill1608, I certainly appreciate someone who thinks ahead.
I love your trap door/hoist system. That is out of the box.

I'm a newbie here also. Don't know if I can say welcome or not.
My current fascination w/wood is band saw boxes. Doesn't seem to be
much interest in them here. I am picking up some ideas on different things, though.

I saw you said you were burned out on repair/restore......BUT( the great disqualifier)
I'll ask anyway.....I need to restore my Dad's old Craftsman jointer. It has a lot of
rust but think it is still serviceable. It mounts on the ShopSmith and uses the power
head to drive it. Down the road, would you mind if I get your ideas on how to
do the restore?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-25-2019, 02:00 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
That's foresight.

I remember moving into an office building that had a basement auditorium with a huge frosted glass screen that could be front or rear projected. The glass had to be installed in the basement before the building was constructed above it.

The building was in Southern California, in the heart of earthquake country. I remember the many discussions about whether to buy and embed a second screen in a side wall, just in case the main screen ever broke. It would have been a very expensive insurance policy with no guarantee. The company chose not to buy the spare.

That building was demolished about 20 years later. I wonder if they tried to salvage that expensive screen. Probably not. It might have been fun (but dangerous!) to be the guy to whack it with a large sledge hammer.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-25-2019, 03:11 PM

View Piper's Photo Album My Photos
That is really cool! Enjoy your retirement.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-25-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdraftn View Post
Down the road, would you mind if I get your ideas on how to
do the restore?
Sure. Sandblasting is easiest way to remove rust but iron will never look as good after sandblasting. Cleans out the pits too well.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-26-2019, 12:43 AM

View mina1's Photo Album My Photos
It's really a good news that Enjoying Retirement in The Basement Shop. However can you please advise me if I want to start any new project for woodworking as you are to much experienced.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-26-2019, 08:22 AM
Go the distance!

View justdraftn's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1608 View Post
Sure. Sandblasting is easiest way to remove rust but iron will never look as good after sandblasting. Cleans out the pits too well.
Thanks! I won't be doing any sand blasting.

Any other ideas?
post #9 of 9 Old 03-26-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdraftn View Post
Thanks! I won't be doing any sand blasting.

Any other ideas?
Sandblasting is great, but it can warp thin metal and make bare iron look lame. For cleanup, I mostly use water based cleaners and very hot water. Hot is the key. I have a 1/4" air hose from the pipe out of my water heater to the driveway outdoors. Much hotter water faster. Faster because it doesn't have to heat up copper pipe and because the small hose has little volume. For grease or oil, I use a very strong citrus cleaner or mineral spirits. Mineral spirits can be used over and over, let it settle out. Very few citrus cleaners work really well and the good ones are expensive. I use Remove-It full strength. Be careful if you use it in a sprayer or any cleaner, don't want to breathe airborne spray. Best to do outdoors upwind of part being cleaned. If you get any on your skin, wash off right away or you can get a raw spot that might take a year to go away. And goggles of course.
justdraftn likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode