Dutchman in Thailand - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 10-29-2009, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

View Arthur's Photo Album My Photos
Dutchman in Thailand

Glad to have found you guys. I am semi retired and living semi permanent in a quite remote part of Thailand (450 km NE of Bangkok) My wife and me are running a small bungalow resort. For myself I have setup a well equipped 4000 sq ft workshop where I build wooden boats. Have built a 17 ft and a 35 ft recently. Being a foreigner in Thailand of all places I miss talking with like minded about the progress, problems and results of our woodwork. That's why am glad to be here. I found this site, because I am planning to build a kiln to my workshop. There is plenty of nice tropical hardwood here at low prices. The manufacturing is of bad quality though. That is why I would like to control the whole process myself including the drying. So I save myself time and headache in the building process.
Will keep you posted about my projects and sure will call on you guys if i meet any problems. Next project is a traditional dragon boat, crewed by 50 men, length app. 32 mtr. for which I am busy selecting and buying the wood and need the kiln for. Hope Daren's plans will set me up.

Arthur Jacobs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-29-2009, 08:27 AM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum.

Red

Red
post #3 of 10 Old 10-29-2009, 09:19 AM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome, your work sounds interesting. We like pictures of peoples work-their shop and your location sounds pretty as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-29-2009, 05:09 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome aboard. Wow, that is a big boat you are going to build. Will you do this by yourself or do you have help?

You say it is a boat that would be crewed by 50 men. Is that oarsmen? Where and how will this boat be used after it is built?

George
post #5 of 10 Old 10-30-2009, 01:06 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome

Welcome to the site.
How did you end up there?
post #6 of 10 Old 10-31-2009, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

To Red, Daren, George and Texas Sawduster so far

Thanks for the warm welcome, and WOW I sure seem to have opened something
I found this forum while searching for plans to build a kiln to dry the wood required for building the new project. There is an abundance of fine tropical hardwoods at low prices here, but the manufacturing is of poor quality. Have built a 17' Canadian canoe and a 40' Dragon Boat and still suffering from the headache caused by poorly dried and machined materials. That is why I want to complete my workshop with a kiln.
The planned boat will be used for traditional dragon boat racing in Thailand and some neighbouring countries like Laos and Vietnam. Races are held in almost every city around starting from the end of the rainy season in september until January February when there is enough water in the lakes and rivers.
The reason I am planning to build the boat is because I hate injustice. There are 3 well trained and equipped professional Royal Navy teams travelling around Thailand to take away all the major prizes from the local boys who do this as a hobby and dont have the taxpayer to sponsor them.
I have a Thai friend who runs one of those local teams and I have been crying with him the past few years until I thought it was time to use brain against Navy muscles. Have found an English marine engineer who was interested in my story and my ideas to build a traditional looking dragon boat with a few secrets in it which will definately make it a winner. Fast calculaters among you will easily figure out what it means if through the construction one can gain a 50% weight advantage on a 110' boat built out of tropical hardwood. Add a graphite coating underneath and the show can start
I will supply the materials, use of my workshop, managing the project and do the tricky stuff. The labour will be done by 5 crafty guys out of the team.
The team management and the business around the races will be done by my friend who runs the team. As a foreigner I dont want to get involved in that typical Thai way of . Just want to join the public low profile and enjoy the teams efforts and success from a distance.

Planning to finish the project August next year so we will have about a month for testing and training before the racing season starts.

Will send some pics soon

Regards
Arthur
post #7 of 10 Old 10-31-2009, 10:07 AM

View wfahey's Photo Album My Photos
Internet 450km NE of Bangkok? I'm really impressed!

Look forward to seeing pics of your projects.

Bill
San Antonio, TX
post #8 of 10 Old 11-01-2009, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Internet through satellite, can get that in the midle of nowhere nowadays/
post #9 of 10 Old 11-09-2009, 09:55 PM

View Valid8r's Photo Album My Photos
Hoi Arthur - Goede dag. Dank je wel vor jouwe forum post en welkome ook.

Jon
post #10 of 10 Old 11-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Chester's Gorilla

View Streamwinner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome. Can't wait to see the dragon boat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode