Thanks for the compliment on my blog Jeremy.
I don't know if I mentioned in the article, "Wood Shop Fire Prevention" on my blog that there was a fire in a woodworking shop here locally.
No Insurance, No fire extinguishers, Cost out of pocket $27,000.
I will be adding more articles to the blog.
Lee: I appreciate the sentiment of your post here, and of the information contained in your blog. I also have to agree with my (sic) comrade, Jeremy, that to have a fire in a woodworking shop would indeed be a misfortune. You're correct in your assertion that flammables in rags need to be watched. Your blog states a 'tightly sealed container.' I suggest it should read 'a tightly sealed galvanized steel container manufactured specifically for the disposal of solvent-soaked rags.'
However, on the point of the DC fires, I have to wonder...precisely how many fires have been started by an errant spark in a dust collector system? This seems to by the
internet myth that just won't die. The U.S. Fire Administration keeps statistics on fire cause and origin, as reported by every fire department in the land using the NFIRS system. NFIRS is a standardized, nation-wide coding system used for all aspects of a fire, from the system used to report the fire, manpower, cause and origin, methods of extinguishment, casualties, etc. More fires in the U.S. are caused by cooking than by any other single source. If DC/static sparks were a great issue, those of us who are firemen in this woodworking hobby would be more aware of it, I think....
I know somebody will disagree with me, but I bet you a cup of coffee that the number of fires started by sparks whose cause is static electric buildup in a DC system using PVC plennums is infinitesimally small.