Dust Collector Basics - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 04-28-2017, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

View Bullseyeguy's Photo Album My Photos
Dust Collector Basics

Hello all,

New to the forum, and of course I come asking a "newbie" question. Getting ready to move into a house with a 3 car garage, which will house tools, toys, and maybe even occasionally my wife's car. I want to set it up with a decent dust collection system. Although I have plenty of time, I want to take a crash course to learn about the do's and dont's (like I just learned from your forum about using PVC pipe....which I was previously considering before reading that).
I am expecting to buy and install a stationary system, but I am open to other ideas. Maybe for a hobbyist such as myself, a mobile dust collector would be better.... I don't know. So, what are the basic ideas that I need to adhere to (i.e. what type of pipe is best, how much vertical should I not exceed, etc.). What would be a good machine to buy, and what should I expect from it.
While I tend to pore over details in my mental engineering, I hope to make something that tends to be turn-key and simple to use. I don't have a budget yet, and I expect that you guys will enlighten me so I can know what to expect. (Usually this means about 200 to 300 percent over what I originally expect.)

Well, sorry to be so "wordy". Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-28-2017, 03:51 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
After 50 years of sawdust making...

I use 2 mobile Jet 1100s DC units with very short flex hose attached. This minimizes the loss due to the flex hose. I leave different length 4" flex hoses attached to the machines I use most often and move the DC over to them as needed. My machines include a 6" jointer and several 12" tables saws hooked to one DC. The other DC shares between a 24" dual drum and a 12"drum sander and a 15" planer. All other tools are hooked to 16 gal. Rigid shop vacs all around the shop sorta tucked into corners or under tables. These include 14" bandsaws, a 12" RAS, and several router tables. For small random orbit or belt sanders. I connect them to the dust ports with a lightweight flex hose 1 1/4" used for dry wall sanding. It works great!

Overhead, I use a Jest AFS 1000 air filter to get the airborne dust which is much finer. I don't wear a mask as a rule but have on occasion. This system works well for me with one exception, the table saw. Older contractor saws and some motorized saws like I have do NOT have a blade shroud designed to collect the dust like the newer saws, Bosch 4000-09 and others. If your table saw has a dust shroud, count your blessings. If not, enclose the bottom and seal off the openings enough to allow cooling air, but to increase the airflow velocity. I have done this with some success.

Good luck, but post this in Dust Collection and you will get more replies.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 3 Old 04-29-2017, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

View Bullseyeguy's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post

Good luck, but post this in Dust Collection and you will get more replies.
Thank you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode