dovetail set-up - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 08-11-2009, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

View victor's Photo Album My Photos
dovetail set-up

new at routering, I bought a new router jig at MLCS, IT came with 6 t/ps 3 guide bushings and 6 router bits, the set-up was very hard, but I got it to work ,the set-up was for a 1/2'' box joint with 3/8'' plywood, man what a mess tear-out was bad ,the problem Iam having,, is when Iam cutting the bit is hitting the bed, if I raze the bit, then the pins are to short ,is it true that what the template size is, you use that size wood like 1/2'' box joint then you use 1/2'' wood and so on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-12-2009, 12:25 AM
Chief pencil holder

View scribbles's Photo Album My Photos
These tools are just hard to setup, once I was thought how to do it, it is so simple, but you must be shown, check out you tube there may be video tutorial's there. Sorry I canít help more. And for tear out, it is either cheap ply or bit. I bet it is the ply.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-12-2009, 07:46 AM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
They are a pain to set up, but once there they are fairly easy to use. Welcome to the forum.

Red

Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-12-2009, 08:02 AM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
I'll give you a hint. After your hellish setup, don't break it down, just buy another router. Sound more expensive than it really is.

I setup a dovetail jig, took almost 6 hours to get it perfect. Then I broke it down because I knew what needed to be done to get it setup again. WRONG. Took me 5 hours the second time. That time I just left the setup and got a new router. Now it takes me 10 seconds to setup. I plug in the cord.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #5 of 10 Old 08-12-2009, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

So you went and bought a new router and all problems went away, its the hitting of the bed that is my problem not set-up but your saying its the router hummm
post #6 of 10 Old 08-12-2009, 01:02 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
We'll let Leo explain

But I think he meant was once the router is set-up with the bit and to the proper depth, leave it that way. Don't use the same router for another project. 5 hrs of (my time at $20 hr) is the cost of a new router more or less. So, each time you have to set it up is another 5 hrs lost. I bought 3 cheap DT jigs from Jet and leave the templates set up with the router to match. Freud FT1700's @ $120. On sale and with the plunge base also. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 10 Old 08-12-2009, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

ok thats undestood,but what about the router bit hitting the bed of the jig thats the question
post #8 of 10 Old 08-12-2009, 03:28 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Obviously the bit is set too low

But without some pictures it's difficult to know why. The guide bushing usually extends down below the base plate 1/4" to 3/8". The base plate rides on the top surface of the jig as the guide bushing follows in and out of the fingers. Typically you route the top and side pieces in inside out order from one side, then switch sides. If the bit hit the jig it's probably toast and that accounts for the tear out.
There are tons of dovetail videos on U-tube. Check them out.
Here's a thread I posted on them:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f30/d...-videos-10207/
http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/rcklrdtjigrvu.html
Close is not good enough for dovetails, right on is correct. Check out routerforums.com for the best on router info. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-12-2009 at 03:40 PM.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
But I think he meant was once the router is set-up with the bit and to the proper depth, leave it that way. Don't use the same router for another project. 5 hrs of (my time at $20 hr) is the cost of a new router more or less. So, each time you have to set it up is another 5 hrs lost. I bought 3 cheap DT jigs from Jet and leave the templates set up with the router to match. Freud FT1700's @ $120. On sale and with the plunge base also. bill
Yup, that is what I mean. Try it at my shop rate of $65/hr and see how fast you buy another router.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #10 of 10 Old 08-12-2009, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

I fix the problem, I put a thicker piece of wood under the template, so when you router the piece its not so close to the bed, box joints are a whole different type of joint than the rest of the joints, hope that can help someone else

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode