Delta Unisaw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 01-03-2009, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

View woods of williams's Photo Album My Photos
Delta Unisaw

I just got a Delta Unisaw that was built in the 50's. Wired for 440 and 3 phase. So that I can use it in my home shop I changed the wiring so that the motor could run at 220 and added a phase converter to go from 3 phase to single phase. It works ok but, bogs down when ripping anything thicker then 2 inches. If there is anyone out there with any tips that can help get this jem to run at maxium power. Pleae help !!!!

Woods of Williams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-03-2009, 09:00 PM

View Kudzupatch's Photo Album My Photos
Assuming your using a static phase converter you lost 1/3 of your horsepower. There is three legs/wires on 3 phase. The statics only provide 2 legs of power. I am not sure of the details but I think it provides 3 legs to get it to start? But if that is what you have odds are there is nothing you can do. Assuming everything is working correctly.

The best way to go is with a rotary converter. It actually provides all 3 legs and with a properly sized converter there is no power loss. And the best part is that you can run other 3 phase machines which are typically cheaper than single phase machines. Used machines that is.

Other option is replacing the motor with a single phase motor. But that is almost the same price as you can build a RPC for.

Last edited by Kudzupatch; 01-04-2009 at 08:54 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Senior Member KE4TQP

View John in Tennessee's Photo Album My Photos
Couldn't you just replace the motor with one wired for 220?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-04-2009, 07:34 AM

View bigredc's Photo Album My Photos
Unless you plan on getting more 3 phase equipment the easiest thing to do is change the motor. There are used ones for sale pretty regular. There are some very cool old machines that have the motors built in that are 3 phase and you can't change the motor. If you ever thought you might be getting something like that then the RPC would be nice to have. If not it's just one more thing to have to maintain. There is a web site exclusively devoted to Old Wood Working Machines. It's called OWWM. They can be a big help with these kind of questions. You can get directions on how to build an RPC there if your into that. There is also a classified section that you might find the motor at.
Chris
http://owwm.org/index.php?sid=6268414bc9d52acad749cbf6a776014c
post #5 of 5 Old 01-04-2009, 09:28 AM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
Good luck with the saw and welcome to the forum. Red

Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode