cutting boards - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 30 Old 03-10-2008, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

View Elbert's Photo Album My Photos
Smile cutting boards

Hello, I'm newto woodworking forum.
I'm going to make some cuttingboards and would like to know what woods are unsafe (or toxic ) to use.
Elbert.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-11-2008, 06:28 AM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Elbert. I have never made a cutting board, maybe an expert will chime in and help you out. I don't think there are too many commercially available woods that would be considered toxic (kinda bad business to poison your customer). I think your 2 biggest concerns are how the wood will work in a cutting board. For example open pore woods can trap food particles that could go rancid and make you sick. And some woods the dust may give the woodworker allergic reactions. http://www.mimf.com/archives/toxic.htm
post #3 of 30 Old 03-11-2008, 06:53 AM
Woodworking Firefighter

View firefighteremt153's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Elbert, I have made many cutting boards in the last few years and I can tell you what I know about them. I wouldn't consider myself an expert on cutting boards though. Like Daren said, try to stay away from lumber like oak or anything with a really coarse grain. It will trap food and bacteria in the grains and could possibly make ya sick. Also stay away from soft woods if you want it last for a long time. Soft woods (pine, poplar,cedar etc..) are just that, they're soft and tend to get cut up alot quicker that the harder woods. I haven't found any wood that is toxic yet but that doesn't mean that there isn't any. Maybe google toxic woods and see what you find out on that. As far as the rest of the cutting board process, just get creative and use a good glue and lots of clamps. I recommend titebond 3 b/c it withstands water and holds very well. Just make sure you leave your clamps in place and allow the glue to fully cure before removing. When it comes to sealing the boards, well alot of folks say to use salad bowl oil. I have never used the stuff personally, good ole corn oil for me. I just poar it on there and let it soak in overnight, wipe it down and maybe repeat the process if need be. Well there's my 75 cents worth. I'm sure there are many folks on here that have a different way of building these things but thats just how I have always made them and has worked well for me...Enjoy Jeremy

........................www.Jeremydillardwoodworking.com.........................

"Only those who risk going too far, can possibly know how far they can go"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 03-11-2008, 10:31 AM

View elixirmm's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Elbert take a look at these...might point you in the right direction..http://www.woodcuttingboards.com
post #5 of 30 Old 03-11-2008, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Got some more ideals on that website on http://www.woodcuttingboards.com Thanks.
post #6 of 30 Old 03-11-2008, 12:14 PM

View RJAngel's Photo Album My Photos
Elbert,
Some good info has been provided so far.
Besides the toxicity of some woods, the fine dust caused by some
woods, like padauk, should also be avoided.
I've made several cutting boards myself over the past few years, with my most common materials being hard maple, walnut, cherry and
purpleheart.
Try mixing the species for some very nice contrasting results.
Also make sure you use a waterproof glue, such as Titebond II or something similiar.
Finally, I normally finish mine w/butcher block oil which should be re-applied on a regular basis, based on usage.

Ron
post #7 of 30 Old 03-11-2008, 12:40 PM

View Jack Brannon's Photo Album My Photos
Jack Brannon

Hi Elbert,

I made my wife a cutting board several years ago out of Beech wood. She didn't want it too thick so I cut the beech into 1" X 2" strips. Then I drilled three holes in each piece, using an alignment jig for my drill press I made out of wood for the purpose so each hole would be the same dimension on the strips. I ran hardwood dowels through each hole and glued each piece with a glue at the time that was made for food processing equipment.(It has been so long ago that I can't remember the trade name of the glue but I am sure there are lots more and better glue for the job out there now.) I then trimmed the edges and sanded it thoroughly. I guess a person could run stainless steel threaded rods with washers and nuts through the holes to do a better job of holding the strips together, and I would probably go this route if I was going to make a heavy top Butcher Block table. But the dowels worked very well for me.
post #8 of 30 Old 03-11-2008, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Daren and Jeremy.Am making a end grain cuttingboard with
walnut, maple, and mahogany.
Elbert
post #9 of 30 Old 03-12-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren View Post
I have never made a cutting board
I got thinking about it and decided it was about time I did, so I made one today. Simple and sturdy. Hard maple with walnut dove tail splines for a little decoration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inlay1.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	2732  

Click image for larger version

Name:	inlay2.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	2733  

Attached Images

Last edited by Daren; 03-16-2008 at 09:46 AM. Reason: added better pictures
post #10 of 30 Old 03-12-2008, 07:18 PM

View RJAngel's Photo Album My Photos
Daren,

Really nice job, never saw the dovetail accent before.

Were the dovetails mitered also? On the side, they seem wider on the bottom as compared to the top.

Ron
post #11 of 30 Old 03-12-2008, 07:22 PM

Yea Ron, I could explain the whole thing (but am late, need to get in the shower) or just link a page that shows how they are made. http://www.dovetailspline.com/index.html
post #12 of 30 Old 03-12-2008, 08:29 PM

View Marko's Photo Album My Photos
Nice Daren......that wouldn't happen to be some of this Maple would it?
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3577
post #13 of 30 Old 03-12-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
Nice Daren......that wouldn't happen to be some of this Maple would it?
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3577
Yes it would, some old rotting yard tree (well, city park tree in this case) on it's way to the municipal burn pile . It laid around here rough sawn for 2+ years...now my wife has a cutting board. Cool huh?
post #14 of 30 Old 03-12-2008, 09:56 PM

View stuart's Photo Album My Photos
can't have enuff of those boards.

I don't think I would ruff this pretty board up with my 8 inch french knife.

it's that pretty.
post #15 of 30 Old 03-12-2008, 10:20 PM

stuart, I know you are a cook. I put some stuff in my gallery of a custom left handed sushi knife I made (that went to Florida).
Before (raw wood and steel) /after tempered steel, razor sharp and a cool handle.

Your profile says your hobby/interest is "internet surfing" check out this YouTube video of mine...this is what I mean by "Razor Sharp"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tVaEOAQ0rs
post #16 of 30 Old 03-12-2008, 10:27 PM

View stuart's Photo Album My Photos
oh yea that's rockin......Daren.....

your finger with bang on it got me a little sidetracked there.

you didn't test the blade with your finger, did you??

you got it made....the good old fashion way.

BTW I use DEXTER/RUSSEL blades/knives. I use the softgrip/lightweight kind and have the same 8 incher for apx.11 years on the job.
Just got one of those Chinese made stone/edger block that has both a smooth and corse side. oh you can hear the love of the blades gettting sharp on those [sharpen it under running water thou].

Again excellent stuff Daren.

I may have to buy one from you one day
post #17 of 30 Old 03-12-2008, 11:45 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Stuart - I just now got around to peering into yur gallery. Are all those your projects?
post #18 of 30 Old 03-13-2008, 08:22 AM
Woodworking Firefighter

Thats a beautiful cutting board Daren. Did you cut the Dove tails by hand or router? If via router, how did you make the walnut splines?

........................www.Jeremydillardwoodworking.com.........................

post #19 of 30 Old 03-13-2008, 08:45 AM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Fire,

I know Daren won't mind me answering the question. He may have something to add as well such as "Quit answering my fanmail dude." Hey I don't get fanamil so I am gonna yoink some of his.

He used my dovetail jig to do it. Click that blue link in my signature line to check it out if you like.

I have been running a special for the last month to allow woodworkers to buy a Deluxe Kit at the old 7 year price. It expires tomorrow.

It might be a good idea for me to extend the deadline for WWingtalk members though because I havn't ever even mentioned that I bought the company until yesterday.

Daren will tell you he is not a router guy. In fact he uses machinery as little as possible to make his works of art (which he is always claiming are not so great but we know better). But he sent me an email yesterday basically chewing me out for getting him ". . addicted to your stupid jig!. . . "

Hey if you are going to get hooked on something it could be worse than something woodworking related.
post #20 of 30 Old 03-13-2008, 09:13 AM
Woodworking Firefighter

Thanks Texas, Id love to have that jig but I just recently bought the PC jig and really can't justify buying another one right now but if I do I'll be givin you a shout..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode