Complete beginner - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 04-26-2011, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

View greenhorn's Photo Album My Photos
Complete beginner

Hi everyone. I have pretty much no woodworking or carpentry skills but I have always thought that it would be a wonderful skill to have. Today I realised that instead of just sitting on my ass it might be a smart idea to actually give it a go.

I would really value some tips from someone with more experience than me. I don't have a garage or any from for a proper dedicated work space. I have a pretty limited budget and not a whole lot of space in my home or room to store really large equipment. I do have a shared garden I could work in but I could not leave anything there overnight without it disappearing.

I have basic tools that you have in a home and a jig. What essentials would get me up and running, so I can finish a few small, simple projects and convince the girlfriend to put up with the mess I'll be making. I don't want to be the best carpenter of all time just make some usefull things, learn some skills and have fun.

Does anyone have any ideas for small simple projects that might suit me?

i thought something like this might be good and pretty cheap
http://www.instructables.com/id/Wooden-Suitcase/

I do actually need something similar to this, so this can be a goal to work up to.
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f13/b...k-table-25751/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #3 of 6 Old 04-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-26-2011, 01:48 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum.

If you have little to no room for storage of tools and no shop or place to build one you are limited. I would suggest maybe a midi lathe and some cutting tools. You can buy blanks and some of the other things you might need but will not need a tremendous amount of room. You can turn bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens and other things like bottle stoppers etc. Turning is very addictive and rewarding.

To build tables, that case you showed are like items you would require more room and tools.

I would also suggest classes either at a school or from a local woodworker. If you work with a local woodworker you may get the best of both worlds experience an a shop to use until you can get your own.

Just my opinion.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-26-2011, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

View greenhorn's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for your input rrbrown. A lathe sounds like quite a good idea and would keep me busy for a while.

I've done a little research on the internet and mabye I could start off with some simple wood carving, it sound like it's pretty cheap and small. I also found out that theres a woodwork club/charity near me that even has it's own sawmill so I will get intouch with them and see how things go.

Thanks for your help. I'm at the stage where I don't even know what I don't know so any advice is helpful. I didn't even know woodworking clubs existed before today.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-26-2011, 05:38 PM

View Snakewind99's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Snakewind99
Ha, I wish we do have woodworking around here, but here in my local is very small city. Only 2 or 3 is open to public to design whatever you want to build. I'm sure there is lot of people have their own workshop in their homes. That's my goal to have one. I know it'll take forever before I get it complete.

Welcome to the WoodWorkingTalk.com by the way. Forward to see ya around!

is pleasure to join WoodWorkingTalk.com
My Signature Image

Tags

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode