Can I join the club? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 2 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 11 Old 11-30-2017, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

View Its knot me's Photo Album My Photos
Can I join the club?

The comedian Groucho Marx once said he wouldn't join any club that would have hi for a member, but I'm hoping I'll be able to join this one!

My granddad used to work with both wood and metal, turning on a lathe. He's made stainless steel nuts which have gone on some Dusenburgs! One of the great auto restorers lived close by, and always commented how precision made my granddad's work was.

I was too young to pay attention when I should have. So now, I've got his table saw, which he made himself. I've got the lathe on the stand he made too. Right now that isn't really working, at some point it would be great to get it going.

He had a band saw, but I sold that as to me it never seemed to work good.

I am impressed by anybody who can turn a piece of wood into a work of art, whether it is a table, chair, or something else interesting. It is a great skill, at some point I'd like to be at least a bit (get it, a pun!!) knowledgeable.

OK, hopefully even after the pun I'll still be welcome here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-30-2017, 08:16 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the club. Lots of folks here that make tables and chairs. Myself I usually turn them into kindling.
GuitarPhotographer likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-30-2017, 08:23 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum! When you get a minute and if you don't mind, complete your profile with name and location. We're a friendly bunch and love to see photos of what folks are building, even if it's some of Steve's kindling.

And you might end up being close to one of us so that's a bonus if you ever need help.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-30-2017, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

View Its knot me's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
Welcome to the forum! When you get a minute and if you don't mind, complete your profile with name and location.
David
I'm in sunny, but recently very windy (thanks to Hurricane Irma) Bartow Florida.

A bit of a story about Hurricane Irma, I had to break up a pallet in order to get a car into the garage. So I had all the pieces, jagged with nails sticking out, into the trash can to be picked up. It seems that the garbage people thought the day before the hurricane should be a day off for their people, so without notifying anybody they just didn't pick anything up. By the time I was able to do anything it was too late, so they sat out in this howling wind, and I'm watching them half the night waiting for the disaster. But incredible wind, massive trees down a block or two away, power out for four days, those garbage cans and all the wood with nails never moved an inch!!! It truly was incredible, I could feel the wind pushing the house in the high gusts. The wind was actually driving water through the door handle!!
post #5 of 11 Old 11-30-2017, 10:40 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
That's pretty incredible! Glad they didn't become projectiles.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #6 of 11 Old 11-30-2017, 11:06 PM

View Cowboy18's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its knot me View Post
I'm in sunny, but recently very windy (thanks to Hurricane Irma) Bartow Florida.

A bit of a story about Hurricane Irma, I had to break up a pallet in order to get a car into the garage. So I had all the pieces, jagged with nails sticking out, into the trash can to be picked up. It seems that the garbage people thought the day before the hurricane should be a day off for their people, so without notifying anybody they just didn't pick anything up. By the time I was able to do anything it was too late, so they sat out in this howling wind, and I'm watching them half the night waiting for the disaster. But incredible wind, massive trees down a block or two away, power out for four days, those garbage cans and all the wood with nails never moved an inch!!! It truly was incredible, I could feel the wind pushing the house in the high gusts. The wind was actually driving water through the door handle!!

Yeah, if mother nature or fire hasn't humbled you, you aint lived long enough yet!

Welcome to the board.

"Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it"

Thomas Jefferson
post #7 of 11 Old 12-01-2017, 01:39 AM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
Aw man, that pun is going to stick around forever... None the less welcome to the forum! Lots to learn and many to learn from. You have a picture of that table saw? It sure sounds interesting.

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." -Mewtwo (Pokemon the Movie)
It's kind of strange that this line was delivered in that movie of all things. It's still a really good quote, and certainly a dang good thing to remember.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-01-2017, 04:09 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
The club rules ......

We have some unwritten/unspoken rules:
All projects accomplishments and new tools must be accompanied by a photo(s). This rule is frequently mentioned ... Without a photo, it didn't happen. Posting photos can be an issue, so keep trying.

You location is important to help determine where you might go for resources, the type of climate you have for determining moisture content in the materials you choose, and generally we just want to know about your location. I see you have already mentioned that Bartow, Florida is your home.

Questions with long verbal descriptions sometimes confuse the older generations and the less patient ones, so a sketch that illustrates your issue or a photo that simulates it is really helpful to we who are also trying to be helpful.

Drinking is allowed when posting, but rudeness will not be tolerated. I swear some folks drink when posting and those operations don't mix well for them. We are a sober bunch if not somber as well, Fuzzy cut lines and staggering about the shop is a safety issue.
Stories with humor are always welcomed.

Gory photos of in the shop mishaps have their own special place in a thread called "Let's see some damage".
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f7/le...age-34/index3/

When you appreciate or even just agree with a post there is a Thanks, a small red button you can click on to express your appreciation without writing a thank you note, but those are always welcome as well.

All we are here is just a mass of experience and opinions, nothing all that special. We do our best to be helpful and as you will see don't agree on the means or the methods to solve your issue. There is often more than one good approach to the same problem, thankfully.

When possible do your own research before asking us, as we will just have to do if for you and that often strikes a wrong note, for me at least. Where to buy "stuff" is easily researched online Google. How to build "stuff" is You Tube for actual videos... seeing is believing. Plans for "stuff" that are free can cause some issues. Beware of anything called Ted's plans. A lot of us just "wing it" when building something and there are no plans as such.

Enough for the rules, Heh?
difalkner likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 12-01-2017 at 04:11 AM.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-01-2017, 10:43 AM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Welcome to the club. Lots of folks here that make tables and chairs. Myself I usually turn them into kindling.
Steve
Iíve seen many pictures of your nice projects but Iíve never seen any kindling!

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #10 of 11 Old 12-01-2017, 01:54 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post

Steve
Iíve seen many pictures of your nice projects but Iíve never seen any kindling!
Kindling doesn't last long around my house. I heat my house and shop with wood.
difalkner and WeebyWoodWorker like this.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-01-2017, 05:59 PM

View WesTex's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome. I, too, would like to see that tablesaw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode