Can I come in? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By BroScarecrow
  • 1 Post By WesTex
  • 2 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 12 Old 12-01-2017, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

View BroScarecrow's Photo Album My Photos
Can I come in?

Hello I just started wood working recently a friend got me hooked and my wife is rather P/o'd to say the least about me spending money on so many tools. Granted most of my tools are second hand craigslist finds. I have been doing small things right now with cutting boards and making a stand for a shaving kit.I have tried doing picture frames but keep coming up short or something with my lengths and 45's. I am using a mitre to cut but will continue with that later.
new2woodwrk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-01-2017, 01:34 PM

View WesTex's Photo Album My Photos
Come right on in & welcome!
Whenever the wife begins to harangue you about the tools, just usher her into her closet & start counting shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
new2woodwrk likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-01-2017, 01:54 PM

View new2woodwrk's Photo Album My Photos
I've always found it interesting how significant others can complain about the tools we buy, yet when they see the infamous SALE sign on anything they go spend crazy!

Fortunately, my significant other knows better than to question my tool purchases - if she did I'd start going through her shoe closet, her coat closet, her pants closet, her dress closet... Yes she does have 1 of each!!!

Oh, and welcome to the forums LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-01-2017, 02:00 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroScarecrow View Post
Hello I just started wood working recently a friend got me hooked and my wife is rather P/o'd to say the least about me spending money on so many tools. Granted most of my tools are second hand craigslist finds. I have been doing small things right now with cutting boards and making a stand for a shaving kit.I have tried doing picture frames but keep coming up short or something with my lengths and 45's. I am using a mitre to cut but will continue with that later.
Start building her things. She will change her attitude. When I was in my teens I used to make my girlfriend now wife things and she didn't like it. At the time she measured love in dollars and homemade projects didn't fit that. Now that she has broken me of that she wishes I would make her things and I don't have time anymore.
MT Stringer and difalkner like this.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-01-2017, 02:08 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum, Bro! When you get a chance complete your profile with name and location if you don't mind. We are a friendly bunch and don't usually bite (hard) and it could turn out you're close to one of us. It also helps when you ask questions about certain types of wood and wood movement if we know more about your environment and climate.

Enjoy your time here, hope it a long time, and post photos when you can.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #6 of 12 Old 12-01-2017, 11:43 PM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
Oh don't you worry, pretty soon everyone will want you to make them things.... Everyone.... You'll get used to it and eventually learn to come up with excuses.

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." -Mewtwo (Pokemon the Movie)
It's kind of strange that this line was delivered in that movie of all things. It's still a really good quote, and certainly a dang good thing to remember.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-02-2017, 05:10 AM

View Cowboy18's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroScarecrow View Post

My Gal loves to go out to garage sales with her girl friends on weekends. I always give her $100 and tell her to
keep an eye out for good tools. She almost never comes back with anything for me, or the $100 bucks. But on the
other hand when I go buy a tool, she rarely complains. She recons I had to because she didn't find me one.

PS: Welcome to the board.

"Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it"

Thomas Jefferson
post #8 of 12 Old 12-02-2017, 08:11 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-02-2017, 08:40 AM

View Roybrew's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome BroScarecrow, used equipment to start is a great idea. I've learned a lot reading what these experienced people post, and they are the best when it comes to getting advice. My wife supports my hobby greatly especially when she gets shelves and boxes out of it. I'll never be able to quit my day time factory job tho.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #10 of 12 Old 12-03-2017, 11:52 AM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
My Mrs complains (and rightfully so) when I find myself going insane at Horror Freight and buying crap I know deep down inside that they're crap.. I now try to limit myself there to clamps and the occasional one time use only tool.
She's actually encouraged me to purchase better quality tools even though she wouldn't know better quality tools from an eggplant if her very existence depended on it.. She keeps showing me those fabulous 'As seen on TV' tools..*cough cough* The latest being some combination jig saw/reciprocating saw .. I have a bad feeling I'm about to receive one for Xmas..then I'll have to go and make 'something' with it..
Of course you could always threaten to trade her in for a more user friendly model and see how far that gets you..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?

Last edited by allpurpose; 12-03-2017 at 11:58 AM.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-03-2017, 02:21 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome aboard. Like Steve mentioned, make her something.

Something simple like this makeup organizer. Only need a few basic tools like a drill press and saw to cut to size.

Or a toy box to keep the toys in for the grand kids. Full disclaimer: I have now made a second, larger one because she outgrew the original.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MTH_2927.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	327473  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-09-03 18.08.49.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	327481  

Attached Images

post #12 of 12 Old 12-03-2017, 04:30 PM

View faith michel's Photo Album My Photos
welcome.....

SECOND CHANCE & SECOND LİFE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode