Brand new to this forum - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 02-19-2010, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

View chili cook's Photo Album My Photos
Brand new to this forum

Hi there everone. My name is Larry, AKA "Chili" I hail from the Centeral Valley in Calif, I'm 62 (almost 63) years old I am retired from UPS, I have a number of interest's ,But no real talents. I try to follow the chili cook off circut as much as I can, Love to cook, mainly BBQ and last but certainlly not least I love to make a lot of sawdust ( I'm very good at that) I consider myself an intermediate wood worker , making such things as clocks, book cases, toys ( for grand kids). If it comes out of a book I can usually do pretty good. OK enough of that. I do have one question and I hope this is the right place to ask! I need to make a 60 dregee cut on a 1/2 x 1 1/8 x 14 1/4 piece of oak , and of course I can only make a 45 degree cut. How is the best,eaisest ,safest way to make this cut ??? I hope this isn't dumbest question that you've ever heard. If it is I'm SORRY

Thanks

Chili

I nailed my wood-shop test.

Last edited by chili cook; 02-19-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-19-2010, 04:57 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
Chilli,

Welcome to the forum. I'm not clear on what the issue is with the cut you want to make because you didn't say what kind of tools you have. Are you saying that you have a miter box with a 45 degree slot and no 60 degree slot, or what?

Also, post some pics of your work. The rule here is "no pics, it didn't happen".

Paul

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #3 of 8 Old 02-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Curmudgeon in Training

View Geoguy's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome, Chilli,
That's an interesting problem you have. If I understand correctly, you need to make an angle cut that is longer and "pointy-er" than can be executed safely on your miter saw (most will only go to 45 degrees). I'll have to study up on my geometry but I think a sixty degree cut can be made if the board is affixed perpendicular (or at 90 degrees) to the normal orientation on the table and the saw is set to 30 degrees - thereby making a 60 degree cut. I don't have a good idea on how to afix the board in this position accurately or safely other than use a speed square or 90 degree wood angle and clamps to hold it in position. Surely, one of the pro's on the forum has done this before and can offer a suggestion.

On second thought, I might mark it and try it freehand on the band saw.

Again, welcome.

Last edited by Geoguy; 02-19-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-19-2010, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinds View Post
Chilli,

Welcome to the forum. I'm not clear on what the issue is with the cut you want to make because you didn't say what kind of tools you have. Are you saying that you have a miter box with a 45 degree slot and no 60 degree slot, or what?

Also, post some pics of your work. The rule here is "no pics, it didn't happen".

Paul

Sorry about not being too clear on my equipment I have a 10" table saw, a 10" miter saw and a 10" radial arm But like I said they only rotate to 45degrees . I tried to free hand the cut ,but alas that didn't turn out too accurate as the piece is too small I figure there has to be somone here that knows a trick or two. I don't have a band saw only a scroll saw I may have to try and free hand it on that if I can't come up with some sort of jig. And pics will be forthcoming as soon as I figure out my angle cut then I can work on figureing out this computer
Thanks

Chili

post #5 of 8 Old 02-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Curmudgeon in Training

View Geoguy's Photo Album My Photos
You should be able to cut it on the radial arm saw

If you position the board 90 degrees to the way you normally make a cross cut on the radial arm saw and set the saw at 30 degrees, you can make the cut. The board will have two angles - the pointy end will be 30 degrees (from the edge of the board) and other one 60 degrees.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-21-2010, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoguy View Post
If you position the board 90 degrees to the way you normally make a cross cut on the radial arm saw and set the saw at 30 degrees, you can make the cut. The board will have two angles - the pointy end will be 30 degrees (from the edge of the board) and other one 60 degrees.
OK thank's ! But I think I've got it figured out ( Maybe) Let me run this by you ,and see what you think

Take a scrap piece of 3/4 x2" make a 45 dregree cut then place it against the fence on my miter saw, rotate the bed to 15 degrees , And viola' 60 degrees I only just really need to nip the end Whadda ya think

Chili

post #7 of 8 Old 02-21-2010, 12:36 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Are you ripping or crosscuutting?

For a rip, use the fence, set the blade to 30 degrees and the included angle will be 60 degrees.
For a cross cut, set the miter saw or miter gauge to 30 degreees and the included angle on the piece will measure 60 degrees with a protractor.
Hope this helps, bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 8 Old 02-23-2010, 12:23 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from Texas !!!

Welcome to the forum.

Just don't the all that sawdust too close to the chili pot or you might have campfire chili.

Tools are like guns, You can never have enough.
Where did I put that tape measure???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode