Beginner Woodworker with Chip on Her Shoulder - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 05-28-2010, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
It's good enough!

View frogdog's Photo Album My Photos
Beginner Woodworker with Chip on Her Shoulder

Greetings everyone:

I'm Cynthia and I live in British Columbia, Canada. I'm a beginner, and I hardly know enough to ask a question. I'll try to keep my questions as intelligent as possible--I want to learn from those with more experience, i.e. everyone on the planet.

I want to learn woodworking in order to build some decent looking bookcases, and later built-ins for a new house I'm moving into this summer. If I can prove to my DH that I make 1 nice bookcase with a minimum of power tools, then he'll buy me a shop full of tools to make the job easier. I love a challenge and have had a lifetime swimming upstream.

I'm pretty handy around the house, enthusiastic, have good hand-to-eye coordination, and am smarter than a banana. I hope that's enough to learn woodworking. What do you think?

Cynthia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-28-2010, 01:31 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogdog View Post
am smarter than a banana.
, well that is a good start...and you have a few of us beat there already...Welcome Cynthia
post #3 of 10 Old 05-28-2010, 04:30 PM

View beelzerob's Photo Album My Photos
My only advice so far, being here only a few weeks earlier than you, is to do a good search of the forums before you post any questions....not because people will berate you about it (they haven't), but just because there's a *very* good chance it was already asked and answered well, and it'll save you some time. I've been amazed at how many times I was about to post what I thought would be a very unique question...only to have the exact question show up on a search.

This place is a fantastic resource. Welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-28-2010, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
It's good enough!

Thanks very much, I'll keep that in mind. I'll really try to ask intelligent questions......I've already got some guys talking to me about bookcases under the General Woodworking Discussion in a thread started by someone else, telling me about stuff I never thought of. I'm so glad I found this place.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-28-2010, 07:33 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

I'm pretty handy around the house, enthusiastic, have good hand-to-eye coordination, and am smarter than a banana. I hope that's enough to learn woodworking. What do you think?

Cynthia

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

It sounds like you have everything going for you. That banana thing is a new one for me. Enjoy the forum.

post #6 of 10 Old 05-28-2010, 07:52 PM
unisawyer

View unisawyer's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome, I like your spunk. There is no such thing as a stupid question if you don't know the answer please feel free to ask. As for basic tools you would be surprised at what you can do if you design your projects around your materials and resources.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-28-2010, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
It's good enough!

Wow thanks, that's heartwarming and reassuring. I have to say I've always believed that a good tennis player can play with an old umbrella. I don't think one needs a room full of power tools to do nice work. Nothing against power tools, I'd just like to understand what's going on first. I'm going to head over to the general discussion and ask a question! thanks so much,
post #8 of 10 Old 05-29-2010, 11:51 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
...... I've always believed that a good tennis player can play with an old umbrella.....
Welcome. You have a great attitude and as for the banana thing, I would be afraid to be tested against one. I don't like losing. LOL.

The only thing I disagree with is your statement above. If that were true, athletes, artists, craftsmen, etc. throughout the ages would not have strived for the best tools they could afford, modify or make. Whether you use hand tools or power tools, there must be a certain amount of precision built into them. The precision required depends on what you are making.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
post #9 of 10 Old 05-29-2010, 02:47 PM

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
Go to Utube Woodworking and check out all the videos there.Especially the safety ones.Unless you want to be called ninefinger Frogdog.This will be an amazing new world to you Good Luck and have fun.Itchy
post #10 of 10 Old 05-29-2010, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
It's good enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchy Brother View Post
Go to Utube Woodworking and check out all the videos there.Especially the safety ones.Unless you want to be called ninefinger Frogdog.
Yes, Itchy, I will. Yes, I'd like to keep all my fingers and toes if possible--part of the reason I'm not in a hurry to get a bunch of power tools. If I lose any fingers that will be the end of guitar and piano. I'm wondering if I should get a full set of body armor for this hobby.

I'll be really really careful. Going to head back to my notebook now. Thanks, Cynthia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode