Beginner from the Chicago area - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 21 Old 06-13-2010, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

View Sean1539's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean1539
Beginner from the Chicago area

Hello all!

I'm a married father of two who has always wanted to create and build "stuff" from wood. For years I had neither the money nor the space to get started so it was always put off. Thankfully that's all begun to change and I can finally get started making the mistakes that I will (hopefully) someday learn from.

As of today, I've only built one thing and that was a simple set of sawhorses. Here's a picture:

My wife, in seeing that I can actually put two pieces of wood together, has now developed an entire list of items she would like built.

As for tools, right now I have a 10" Hitachi miter saw, a small cordless Ryobi 18V circular saw and drill (from a set), a Bostitch compressor with a brad nailer, and a few other miscellaneous tools. I would post a list of things I want, but that list is long.

I look forward to learning a lot from all of you and maybe someday returning the favor.

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum Sean!

I'm about 30 min. SW of you.

There are many knowledgeable members here who will be glad to help you with you'r questions.

Nice sturdy looking horses!

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #3 of 21 Old 06-14-2010, 01:52 AM

View JohnK007's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Sean I'm about 20 minutes north of you. Welcome to the forum. Don't be afraid to ask plenty of questions. Everyone here is happy to help.
Those are good looking sawhorses!

Last edited by JohnK007; 06-14-2010 at 01:56 AM. Reason: First said 10 min north but unless I go supersonic it's more like 20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 06-14-2010, 03:46 AM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
boy howdy, those are sturdy looking horses. Drop a sold core door across those those and you've got a workbench that horses could dance on.

welcome to the forum

Paul

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #5 of 21 Old 06-14-2010, 04:29 AM
The village amadn.

View Mr Mac's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome aboard Sean! The first thing you need (probably preaching to the choir here) is a good, quality table saw! Keep your eyes open on Craig's List and you're bound to find a good one!

Mac

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17
post #6 of 21 Old 06-14-2010, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the compliments on the saw horses, that means a lot.

Mdntrdr and JohnK, since you're close to me, can you tell me where you get your wood? A friend of mine gets his at Menards, but the selection isn't what I was hoping for. I know I can get some exotic wood at Woodcraft and Rockler, but I don't think I'm ready to spend quite that much.

Mr Mac, a table saw is on my list of things to buy and I thought I had picked one out until I did a little more research. I was planning on buying the Jet JWTS-10 because the first reviews I found on that saw were pretty good, but then I started finding more and more where owners were dissatisfied. My wife would like me to buy the new Saw Stop 115V saw that's out this summer, but that exceeds my $800 budget by a few dollars. I've now been thinking about the new Grizzly saw that's coming in September, but since its new I'm not sure if that would be the best idea either. Suffice it to say, I'm a bit lost right now. If anyone has some suggestions I would appreciate it.

My next project is going to be a couple of small bookshelves from Knock-off Wood for my kids. The plans seem pretty straighforward and I can use 1 X 12's instead of MDF, thus eliminating the need for a table saw.

Sean
post #7 of 21 Old 06-14-2010, 08:17 AM
Scotty D

I have a large stash of lumber that I've gotten from different auctions in the area.

Also Quality Millwork in Morris.

Scott

"Like" us on facebook
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #8 of 21 Old 06-14-2010, 11:40 AM

I go to Owl Lumber up in Lombard. Morris might be closer to you though. I also have a stash from a local auction (Chase Stairworks liquidation in Mokena). Check the Free section in Craigslist periodically. Someone is usually always giving away lumber somewhere.
post #9 of 21 Old 06-14-2010, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip on Quality Millwork, that is pretty close to me. I'll keep Owl Lumber in the back of my head since I do get up that direction occasionally.

I did find some wood on craigslist listed here http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/mat/1785924279.html, but I don't have the room for a truckload of wood right now.

One other question about what's available in the Chicago area. Where, other than Woodcraft and Rockler, do you go for your tools? Is there anyplace you would recommend I stay away from?

Sean
post #10 of 21 Old 06-14-2010, 02:07 PM

View apprentice's Photo Album My Photos
welcome Sean,
I'm also new to woodworking, and am having a great time learning and joining in the shop talk here.
Sawhorses are an excellent way to get started. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
post #11 of 21 Old 06-14-2010, 07:02 PM

Berland's House of Tools. Nothing gets the ol' testosterone flowing faster! Three convenient locations and one near you. 1695 New Lenox Road
Joliet, Illinois 60433. Even if you don't buy anything it's a great place to look and touch.
post #12 of 21 Old 06-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Scotty D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK007 View Post
Berland's House of Tools.

$$$!

Scott

"Like" us on facebook
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #13 of 21 Old 06-14-2010, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK007 View Post
Berland's House of Tools. Nothing gets the ol' testosterone flowing faster! Three convenient locations and one near you. 1695 New Lenox Road
Joliet, Illinois 60433. Even if you don't buy anything it's a great place to look and touch.
Oh yeah!! I've been there once, saw a whole bunch of stuff that I can't afford, bought a combination square. Great store though, I can't wait to go back without the wife and kids.

Sean
post #14 of 21 Old 06-15-2010, 12:28 PM

View Chippin-in's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Sean.

Which Grizzly table saw are you referring to? Several poeple on this site own them (including me) I love mine and Im sure they do to...love their saw, not mine .

Anyway, ask about any type or brand of tools and someone here either has it, had it or knows someone who does.

God made us from dust, but all we can do is make dust.
post #15 of 21 Old 06-15-2010, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippin-in View Post
Welcome Sean.

Which Grizzly table saw are you referring to? Several poeple on this site own them (including me) I love mine and Im sure they do to...love their saw, not mine .
The saw I'm referring to is the G0715P 10" Hybrid Table saw.

According to Grizzly's website, this unit will begin shipping September.

It was members of this site raving about their Grizzly table saws that made look, prior to that I had never heard of the company.

Sean
post #16 of 21 Old 06-16-2010, 08:31 AM

View Chippin-in's Photo Album My Photos
That saw is very close to the G0690 I have. Without looking at the spec sheet, which is unavailable right now, the only real difference I see is that the hybrid is 2hp and the 690 is 3hp. weight is almost the same, but the 690 is a little heavier. cutting capacity to the right is very close (29 1/2 - 30"). I think you will be very happy with it.

I havent used mine alot, just got it and 220v in the shop, but it is really nice. Thats a very good price too for a saw like that. The other plus to Grizzly is the customer service and tech support, they are outstanding in my opinion.

Let us know what you decide and happy woodworking.

p.s. very nice saw horses (when I first viewed this thread I was unable to see the pics, but I see them now)

God made us from dust, but all we can do is make dust.
post #17 of 21 Old 06-16-2010, 11:27 AM
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
Oh no! Another one from Chicago. And I guess you'll be getting one of those Red "Cs" like JohnK007 has for your avatar? We Southerners, St. Louis area, find that symbol particularly offensive. You know what I mean. Seriously, welcome. Nice set of saw horses, I got to make me a decent set now.
post #18 of 21 Old 06-16-2010, 12:31 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from Texas !!!

Welcome to the forum.

Tools are like guns, You can never have enough.
Where did I put that tape measure???
post #19 of 21 Old 06-16-2010, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippin-in View Post
That saw is very close to the G0690 I have. Without looking at the spec sheet, which is unavailable right now, the only real difference I see is that the hybrid is 2hp and the 690 is 3hp. weight is almost the same, but the 690 is a little heavier. cutting capacity to the right is very close (29 1/2 - 30"). I think you will be very happy with it.

I havent used mine alot, just got it and 220v in the shop, but it is really nice. Thats a very good price too for a saw like that. The other plus to Grizzly is the customer service and tech support, they are outstanding in my opinion.

Let us know what you decide and happy woodworking.

p.s. very nice saw horses (when I first viewed this thread I was unable to see the pics, but I see them now)
With all of the positives I've heard about Grizzly, I'm very tempted to buy this saw sight unseen. Its barely out of my price range, but I think I can slip that past the wife without much of a problem. Heck, she had suggested I buy an smaller, inexpensive table saw for now and then save up my pennies for a Saw Stop table saw so I would think she'd be happy if I save us over half. Of course what she doesn't realize is I'll use the savings to buy more tools!!

I hope the saw horses work well, I'm going to be using them for the first time ever in the next week or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Oh no! Another one from Chicago. And I guess you'll be getting one of those Red "Cs" like JohnK007 has for your avatar? We Southerners, St. Louis area, find that symbol particularly offensive. You know what I mean. Seriously, welcome. Nice set of saw horses, I got to make me a decent set now.
In an effort to not offend, I will instead use something eveyone will love.

I'd like to say you have all made me feel welcome here already. Thank you.

Oh yeah......Go Cubs!

Sean
post #20 of 21 Old 06-16-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Don't pay djg any mind Sean. He's still upset over Ryne Sandberg getting those two home runs in the 9th and 10th innings off Bruce Sutter in 1984!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode