Aspiring Woodworker - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 20 Old 10-16-2012, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

View ialex2005i's Photo Album My Photos
Aspiring Woodworker

Hey guys/gals,

I've come here looking for projects and knowledge. I've built a few things, but with many mistakes. I enjoy making something from nothing, but I fear I rush too much and I need to just take the time to enjoy the project while working on it.

Most recently I took an old TV Stand and converted it into my workbench. I also built my daughter a step stool and a toy box.

I'm still trying to finish up the work bench. I'm trying to figure out the best way to drill holes for the bench dogs. I have a vise on the way and hopefully it will arrive tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Trytore Member

View Shop Dad's Photo Album My Photos
Nice work! Welcome to the forum. Doesn't look "aspiring" to me but more like the real deal. Also looks like your daughter is enjoying your handywork already. Look forward to your next project!
post #3 of 20 Old 10-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Making sawdust in MS

View rayking49's Photo Album My Photos
Nice projects and welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 10-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
post #5 of 20 Old 10-16-2012, 06:19 PM
Carpenter & Joiner

View Develin's Photo Album My Photos
Your quality of work is good! And even after years of woodworking as a fulltime profession I still feel like an aspiring woodworker... you never stop learning :)

Welcome!
post #6 of 20 Old 10-16-2012, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

The workbench is still a work in progress, so I'm focusing my efforts on that before another project begins.

I'm thinking about removing the butcher block top and taking it to a drill press to get perfectly straight 3/4" holes for bench dogs. Is this a good idea?
post #7 of 20 Old 10-16-2012, 07:51 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
I wouldn't stress on the dog holes, the top isn't thick enough to make slightly off holes problematic.

I would suggest a thicker front edge to the bench with a cut-out for the vise... that can have dog holes as well.

Looks good so far, welcome to the forum.
post #8 of 20 Old 10-16-2012, 08:04 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I won't rain on your parade...but

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialex2005i View Post
Thanks guys!

The workbench is still a work in progress, so I'm focusing my efforts on that before another project begins.
Here comes the rain
The repurposing of the entertainment center is very creative. I just wonder if it has the necessary racking strength to with stand some serious hand planing or vise work. You might consider a plywood back in 1/2" to 3/4 " to help stiffen it. I see it as a work surface more than a work bench, but I may be biased. It takes 2 car jacks to lift and move my workbench when it fully loaded with tools and stuff.
My work surface is a torsion box about 3" deep set on several legal file cabinets for storage. It's quite heavy and very flat. A solid core slab door make a great work bench top and then you can cover it with a sacrificial Masonite or MDF cover.
Workbenches are very personal so don't take this as criticism. if it works for you that's all that matters.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #9 of 20 Old 10-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Trytore Member

View Shop Dad's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialex2005i
I'm thinking about removing the butcher block top and taking it to a drill press to get perfectly straight 3/4" holes for bench dogs. Is this a good idea?
Easier would be to drill a guide hole in a 2" block and bring it to the table.
post #10 of 20 Old 10-17-2012, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Here comes the rain
The repurposing of the entertainment center is very creative. I just wonder if it has the necessary racking strength to with stand some serious hand planing or vise work. You might consider a plywood back in 1/2" to 3/4 " to help stiffen it. I see it as a work surface more than a work bench, but I may be biased. It takes 2 car jacks to lift and move my workbench when it fully loaded with tools and stuff.
My work surface is a torsion box about 3" deep set on several legal file cabinets for storage. It's quite heavy and very flat. A solid core slab door make a great work bench top and then you can cover it with a sacrificial Masonite or MDF cover.
Workbenches are very personal so don't take this as criticism. if it works for you that's all that matters.
I completely understand what you're saying. This TV Stand isn't a Walmart special though. It's made from solid 3/4" wood front, back, top and bottom. I definitely wouldn't be able to lift the TV Stand by myself, well not without hurting myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shop Dad View Post
Easier would be to drill a guide hole in a 2" block and bring it to the table.
I think I might try this. Build a jig of some sort with a lower edge on one side and let that sit over the edge of the table, allowing every hole to be perfectly in line. It's just a little scary to make the move to drill into my new pretty butcher block!
post #11 of 20 Old 10-17-2012, 05:49 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Your workbench may work out just fine the way it is as far as racking. You have that cabinet built in the base, and that may be enough to stop any racking movement.

You could just use some pegboard to lay out dog holes. And as for getting them perpendicular, you can use a combo square or a small drafting triangle, or any scrap cut like a right triangle as a guide just set up next to the hole so you can visually guide a hand drill.

post #12 of 20 Old 10-17-2012, 07:24 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome and ditto what he said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shop Dad View Post
Nice work! Welcome to the forum. Doesn't look "aspiring" to me but more like the real deal. Also looks like your daughter is enjoying your handywork already. Look forward to your next project!
post #13 of 20 Old 10-17-2012, 09:29 PM

View jharris2's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialex2005i

I think I might try this. Build a jig of some sort with a lower edge on one side and let that sit over the edge of the table, allowing every hole to be perfectly in line. It's just a little scary to make the move to drill into my new pretty butcher block!
Shop Dad is on the right track but instead of using a block build a t-square type jig that will hook over the edge of the bench and is long enough to span the bench front to back so you can clamp it securely at each hole location.

You can build the whole jig out of a single straight 2x4. Drill the guide hole into the jig at your drill press using a 3/4" diam. forstner bit. Use the same bit to drill your bench top.

Easy peasey! :)

Jeff

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education"

Mark Twain

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did — in his
sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

Jack Handey
post #14 of 20 Old 10-18-2012, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas guys! Just an exciting update. I got a shipment from Amazon.

This is my first set of Chisels and the vise for my workbench!

post #15 of 20 Old 10-18-2012, 12:14 AM

View jharris2's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the update. Nice kit.

Getting that delivery from your tool source is just like Christmas! :-D

Jeff

Edit: Search this site for info on sharpening to keep those chisels keen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education"

Mark Twain

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did — in his
sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

Jack Handey

Last edited by jharris2; 10-18-2012 at 12:16 AM.
post #16 of 20 Old 10-18-2012, 08:52 AM
In History is the Future

Nice! The 750's, right? That's an excellent set.

post #17 of 20 Old 10-18-2012, 09:05 AM

View rwhite's Photo Album My Photos
Nice work and welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will get a lot of useful information here.

Signature removed by MOD
post #18 of 20 Old 10-20-2012, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

My workbench is now in it's 'finished' state. I don't have a side vise, so until that happens, this is it complete.

post #19 of 20 Old 10-20-2012, 11:02 PM
In History is the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialex2005i View Post
My workbench is now in it's 'finished' state. I don't have a side vise, so until that happens, this is it complete.
Looks great!

If I can make a suggestion, I had an iron vise like that at one time and I at first had a jaw pad just like yours where it sat above the rods. I eventually built a new larger pad where the rods and thread pass through it and it was a huge improvement! Kept it from racking out at the top especially when clamping boards vertically for dovetails and such.

Aging, looks nice.
post #20 of 20 Old 10-20-2012, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately the wood I used wasn't wide enough for that. I will probably end up doing that one day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode