Anyone from Cincinnati Ohio - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 08-26-2008, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

View autoBrad's Photo Album My Photos
Anyone from Cincinnati Ohio

I am curious if anyone is in the Cincinnati Ohio area.. I live in Hamilton/Fairfield Township, but from Northern Kentucky... If so, I'd like to hear what type of shop they have and what sort of projects they are working on... Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-27-2008, 03:44 PM

View Gerald's Photo Album My Photos
Autobrad,
I'm from the Cincinnati area. I live in Ross Township. Just 12 miles North of Rumpke Mountain.
I am in the design stages for building a new entry door for my house. Having some issues with locating beveled insulated glass at the moment. I would think I can find a glass shop to help me out but so far the one I contacted was no help. I'm in no hurry. That's what I enjoy about this hobby. Work when I feel like it and no schedules.
How about you any projects in the works?
post #3 of 8 Old 08-27-2008, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Gerald,

Sounds like a cool project.. I'm not to that level yet.. I am currently working on trimming out my windows.. Currently I have drywall returns and some small pathetic window sill's.. I am trimming them out with poplar and painting them white.. I will have to take some pics, I have a thread on here where I was asking advice when i first started researching it.. I did one window, well, my carpenter neighbor helped me do the first one, he does them all the time.. I had to buy some tools.. I just got some more haha, never have enough.. I keep looking at table saws, right now I am borrowing a portable one from him.. I started trimming out a 2nd window last night using his saw.. I have been trying to work around not owning a table saw.. and he kept offering to let me borrow it so.. I took him up on the offer after I almost made a scrap piece out of a 42 inch piece of 1x6 poplar..

What all tools do you have?? Like a full shop or?? I am working in my 2 car garage trying to only use half(keeping my truck in it haha) and putting everythign away so I can pull two cars in.. except in the middle of projects that span a couple of days..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-27-2008, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Here's a link to the window thread

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=4556

Encase you wanted to see what I meant with the windows.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-28-2008, 08:30 AM

I have several tools but being a tool junkie I never have enough tools.
My present shop is 16 x 30 so it is not much bigger than a single car garage. I have out grown it and I am in the process of converting an existing building into my new shop which will be 30 x 30. This will take a couple of years. Money and time are always an issue.

I replaced all my windows a few years ago. Sounds like I had the same type of installation as you do. I built new window returns and trimmed them out. I also did mine in popular. They turned out great and my wife was thrilled. Made a nice looking upgrade to the house.
That's why she is after this new front door.
Her list of projects for me is growing all the time. I built my kids each bedroom furniture last winter. That just made the list grow more.

Have fun doing your windows and post some pictures.
Like to see how they turn out.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-28-2008, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, seems like we can never have enough space/tools/time/money.. I have basically out grown my two car with the car stuff.. but I think i'm just going to make the wife park outside and park my little daily gas sipper in the driveway (which I do now anyways).. So I can make half of my 2 car for wood working and pull my truck out when I need to..

Wow, that's cool that you built furniture, i'd love to be able to do that.. I built a little table when I took a class at wood craft this past spring hahah... Is your workshop heated?? I have to get some more electric run to my garage to power a decent tablesaw.. I'm going to look at some tomorrow I think.. I keep debating over what type and budget to spend.. I am debating between the fold up stand type and a contractor or hybrid like a jet proshop.. Right now with the window stuff about anything I buy would do the trick but.. I 'd like to get into building furniture, etc so.. Who knows.

Oh I did have one question for you.. I am hoping you can help with.. Where do you buy your wood??? I stopped buying at the home depot.. Now I have been buying the poplar 1x4's and 1x6's from butler county lumber in hamilton.. the poplar casings/trim I was buying over at a place called pease a wholesale outlet..

Thanks
post #7 of 8 Old 08-29-2008, 07:08 AM

The only type of lumber I purchase from the box stores is 2x type lumber for construction projects. Hamilton lumber is an upgrade from HD or Lowes without a doubt. I shop the pease outlet looking for deals. Have to visit them a lot but sometimes you can get lucky.
For my furniture grade lumber I usually buy from Munterspaw located up near Dayton Ohio or from Frank Miller Lumber in northern Indiana.
Both are on the web.
I have a jointer, planer etc. so I purchase rough lumber and size it myself.
If you are going to do a lot of furniture type stuff then having a planer etc. is the way to go. Saves on lumber cost and gives you more flexibility.
I have purchased lumber from Rockler or Woodcraft before I had a planer. They have 4S lumber. Can be alittle costly at times but depends on what your doing.

My shop is heated. I do more woodworking in the winter than in the summer. Summer time there seems to be more things that need to get done around the place or a few rounds of golf that need to be played.

My recommendation is that you purchase the best quality table saw you can afford. The Table saw is the heart of your shop and if you have any desires to build stuff you will get frustrated quickly with a cheap saw.
Don't get me wrong. Any of the saws you mentioned will work but as your experience develops you will want to build better quality stuff.
Tighter joints etc. A saw that does not stay true or square or has a poor quality fence will drive you nuts.
You mentioned a Jet proshop saw. If you are willing to consider that saw take a look at the Grizzly tools and compare. I have not purchased any Grizzly tools (yet) but everything I read about there saws is very positive.
From what I remember you can get a 3hp from Grizzly for about the same price as a 1-1/2hp from Jet.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-30-2008, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the good info on the lumber sources.. I will have to check them out.. Yeah, I'm sorta getting my woodworking hobby going in hopes that I will have some things ready for winter .. So I can do some woodworking when winter gets here.. I went out yesterday and bought the Jet Prohop table saw with the cast iron extensions.. I spent all day putting it together.. it's 1.75 hp, beismeyer knock off jet branded fence with a 30 inch right rip capacity.. I need to get electric now.. It says the motor is 15 amp and right now I am running it on a 15 am circuit so.. I need to run another curcuit.. I have my garage lights on a stand alone breaker now so.. the lights don't dim.. I just don't want to damage it running a small circuit..

I am hoping to get the garage insulated and heated and maybe a dust collector before winter so.. I have a long list.. I have to slow down on the money spending for a while now.. In the last month I bought a pc router, 2 nail guns and now the table saw so.. Always a time and money contstraint haha..

I did break the news to the wife that she can no longer park in the garage haha, the take over of the garage is in progress...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode