another new guy here..... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 04-06-2011, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

View tito5's Photo Album My Photos
another new guy here.....

Hello all first time poster here, I am getting to get serious into woodworking, since I need some people that know more than me about it........ I found this place.
I started out building boxes for subwoofers, and car audio systems, and now have migrated to building things for my house. I have built a couple of bookcases. Now I want to increase my knowledge and skills to be able to build a few projects that as of now are way above my head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-06-2011, 10:23 AM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #3 of 12 Old 04-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Splinter Picker

View jharris's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Tito,

Glad to hear you're getting away from car sub-woofers and into something more productive and less annoying.

What's the deal with that anyway?
I could save those bone-heads alot of money by putting a 5 gallon bucket over their heads and beating on it with a tire iron.

It'd be a win win. They'd save money and I'd get a real kick out of it.

Just sayin'

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-06-2011, 09:21 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome ...

from Houston area.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
post #5 of 12 Old 04-06-2011, 09:25 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharris
Welcome Tito,

Glad to hear you're getting away from car sub-woofers and into something more productive and less annoying.

What's the deal with that anyway?
I could save those bone-heads alot of money by putting a 5 gallon bucket over their heads and beating on it with a tire iron.

It'd be a win win. They'd save money and I'd get a real kick out of it.

Just sayin'

Jeff
Hahahaha... That is a truely funny observation...

~tom
post #6 of 12 Old 04-07-2011, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

View tito5's Photo Album My Photos
Jeff....I admit that loud music can be annoying and there are more than a few bad apples in the car audio business....but I was focused on building competition spec audio systems, which is vastly different than the kid rolling down your street at 1 am. Not to mention it got me into how electrical systems work, and into fiberglass, and carbon fiber layup.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-07-2011, 09:43 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-08-2011, 01:40 AM
Splinter Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tito5
Jeff....I admit that loud music can be annoying and there are more than a few bad apples in the car audio business....but I was focused on building competition spec audio systems, which is vastly different than the kid rolling down your street at 1 am. Not to mention it got me into how electrical systems work, and into fiberglass, and carbon fiber layup.
No offense intended Tito. I was just letting off some steam. I live in an area with alot of young folks and the older I get the more I value peace and quiet.

That being said........

Pretty cool that you've learned electrical systems. That's an area that's always been intimidating to me.

What did you mean by "carbon fiber layup"? Did you make things with carbon fiber? That material is amazing. Seems like the possibilities would be endless.

I like the idea of using "high-tech" materials combined with beautiful woods to make very contemporary pieces.

Have you ever considered using your skills with CF along with your interest in woodworking?

Jeff
post #9 of 12 Old 04-08-2011, 11:35 AM

View Hammered Toes's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tito5 View Post
Loud car stereos at 1 am is a good indication of policemen not doing their duty or possibly being at home in bed when they are supposed to be on duty. I don't know a city or state anywhere that doesn't have a curfew law against loud noise. I guarantee that if cops would write a few tickets, it would put the quietus on the situation.

As for running these speakers at decent hours, I can't see any harm in it. If these people can stand the beat and vibration inside the car, I suppose I can stand it outside. My shop tools (joiner and planer) probably irk as many people as loud car radios do, so when I lived in the city I made it a point to do my loud work early and my assembly late. I still got static from some who thought everything should be graveyard quiet 24/7, but when they called the police and everything was said and done, I won because I wasn't running a business in a residential area and I did not break the curfew laws.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Splinter Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammered Toes

Loud car stereos at 1 am is a good indication of policemen not doing their duty or possibly being at home in bed when they are supposed to be on duty. I don't know a city or state anywhere that doesn't have a curfew law against loud noise. I guarantee that if cops would write a few tickets, it would put the quietus on the situation.

As for running these speakers at decent hours, I can't see any harm in it. If these people can stand the beat and vibration inside the car, I suppose I can stand it outside. My shop tools (joiner and planer) probably irk as many people as loud car radios do, so when I lived in the city I made it a point to do my loud work early and my assembly late. I still got static from some who thought everything should be graveyard quiet 24/7, but when they called the police and everything was said and done, I won because I wasn't running a business in a residential area and I did not break the curfew laws.

Loud car stereos at 1 am is pretty good indication that parents are not doing their job of teaching their kids not to be inconsiderate little pigs.

How could you possibly blame the police? That's pretty odd.

I do as you do regarding doing noisy operations early and assembly during the later hours.

Hats off to your parents and mine for teaching us to consider others.

Jeff
post #11 of 12 Old 04-09-2011, 03:43 PM

View Hammered Toes's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharris View Post
Loud car stereos at 1 am is pretty good indication that parents are not doing their job of teaching their kids not to be inconsiderate little pigs.

How could you possibly blame the police? That's pretty odd.

I do as you do regarding doing noisy operations early and assembly during the later hours.

Hats off to your parents and mine for teaching us to consider others.

Jeff
I say part of the blame is that of the police because the last time I checked they had to pass a rather ridgid physical, and I am sure good hearing is part of that physical. If there are ANY cops on duty at this time of night, then he/she should be able to hear this unnecessary noise. For them to catch these little brats in the act is much more valuable than for people to call and complain because the first thing a cop will tell you is "we didn't catch them in the act so there really isn't anything we can do." If they did catch a few "in the act" and fine them heavily, then maybe daddy and mommy would pay a little more attention to what they were doing and take the noise makers out of their cars.

I know darned well I would!
post #12 of 12 Old 04-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Woodworking entrepeneur

View bondfan's Photo Album My Photos
hmm, 'nuff said about the subwoofers...

...and welcome, tito!

Lloyd Kerry Creator of the new Kerry-All Truck Pouch

The foolproof water-repellent storage pouch for your pickup truck that’s built to withstand the elements.
http://www.kerrywoodworking.com/the_kerry-all_truck_pouch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode