• 1 Post By difalkner
  • 1 Post By DavidR8
  • 1 Post By homestd

post #1 of 10 Old 11-16-2019, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

View bob493's Photo Album My Photos
Allow me to reset and introduce

Hi guys, Im Boberto493.

My woodworking background has been almost exclusively what I'd consider "hobbyist". I enjoy creating and making things and I love being able to do things myself. I am mostly power tool associated and a hybrid wood worker at best. I love my jointer planes and chisels, but will use power tools where I can.

Professionally, I did nuclear engineering for ~10 years. Includes maintenance supervision, planning and implementation. I also have a lot of experience in mechanical trouble shooting and correction, as well as preventative maintenance programs. I was also in the navy for a while, doing similar activities; except on a mobile platform lol. As I got older, I started to value quality of life, so I am currently pursuing some small business options and becoming self reliant.

Given my background and training, my needs may be quite different from a prototypical garage wood worker. While I do not disparage your use case, I also ask for the same courtesy. No one has to earn my respect, you all have it. I speak my mind and Im not really afraid to give constructive criticism where I deem it (for better or worse), and I truly mean no insult if I come off abrasive. I am a firm believer in positive reinforcement, and sometimes that means not saying "good job" when you know they can do better.

Finally, I am here to LEARN. While I have a lot of professional experience in certain things, I'd consider myself a novice woodworker at best. I've already learned a lot of things from you guys, and I hope to return the favor where I can. So, ill try to be more tactful, and I hope to have at least some genial correspondences with all of you. Seems to be a more tight knit group of you, and Im sure we can all "get along" where we can.

Thanks guys

oops forgot to mention my wood working stuff haha

A large part of my start was luthiery. wanna talk joinery? thats a great way to dive in the deep end lol.

This includes builds, rebuilds, retops, refinishes, etc. Heres some of my work

woodnthings and difalkner like this.

Last edited by bob493; 11-16-2019 at 11:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-16-2019, 11:04 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Here's a late welcome to the forum, Bob! Add your location to your profile so it shows in the side panel.

You can also show us some shop photos whenever you're ready.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 10 Old 11-16-2019, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
Here's a late welcome to the forum, Bob! Add your location to your profile so it shows in the side panel.

You can also show us some shop photos whenever you're ready.

David
Haha, I edited in some work Ive done. Im actually redoing my shop completely, so its kind of a hot mess. Gimme a few days
difalkner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-16-2019, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

at the risk of looking like a complete ridiculous slob, here we go. Bear in mind I literally pulled everythign out and threw it on the ground lol. The whole shop is getting redone, and theres no point in trying to be "neat" here.

To start, this is the old bench the previous owner ... I hesitate to say made... it hardly qualifies as a bench. A wobbly, loose shelf is a better name for it lol. It was quite bad

Step 2 was planning and pulling everything out and down. Tons of scrap and junk. Id like it very very clear i HATE HATE HATE peg board lol. I just dont like it at all, and I much prefer french cleats

Once I got the table torn down, the wall was bare, and I had 2 4x8 sheets of wainscotting and 1/8" garbage plywood ill NEVER use, so on the wall they go. Cleared up a lot of room actually.

Heres a cool tip I learned a while ago. If you're over show surfaces, instead of paint you can use tape. The process should be self explanatory. It allows you to instantly see where studs are, which is super helpful and time efficient. Stud finders are cool and all, but this process is just so much faster and easier.

once you get your panel up, obviously the studs get obfuscated, so the lines allow you to instantly see where studs are without guessing or having to check with a slow stud finder.

Being on dirty concrete, the paint actually comes up with a couple swipes with a towel. As aforementioned, you can just use tape and it'll achieve the same effect

I had SO SO SO SO SO MUCH SCRAP. SO MUCH SCRAP. I dont know why I horde it lol. Instead of burning it, I decided to make a "live wall". As i make more scrap, I'll just nail it up on the wall. I added some floating shelves made from other scraps to add some utlity to the wall as well. Here is the footprint of the new bench

Shot of the shelves and live scrap wall

And this is where Im sitting atm. Shelving and doors installed, the bench top is 5" thick of pine and plywood from the old bench and some other recycled products. The actual surface is engineered hardwood I had leftover from my office wall (shown above). Quite durable, and looks pretty imo. Wont ever get used otherwised. I'll be implementing a large drawer under the main section and making a purpose stool for that spot. Work's been slow due to tearing down my table saw and my kitty's death on thursday.

To be done ->

Drill press and OSS station with storage
Jointer storage
Implementing some kind of air station, my air tools and compressor just kind flop around lol
Miter station relocation and upgrade
woodnthings likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-16-2019, 11:45 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
We've all been through 'shop re-dos', good job so far. And I love the Spalted wood on the guitar! You do nice work. I've built one acoustic guitar and plan to build more. Are you still building guitars (or any other instrument)?

David
bob493 likes this.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #6 of 10 Old 11-16-2019, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
We've all been through 'shop re-dos', good job so far. And I love the Spalted wood on the guitar! You do nice work. I've built one acoustic guitar and plan to build more. Are you still building guitars (or any other instrument)?

David
Not especially any more, i'd consider that more of a phase for a couple years lol. My current plans are to get into greene and greene and asian stuff, I love the modern aesthetics and designs.

And thank you for the kind words. The spalted tops were custom bodies, the blue one is a refinish, the white one is a new body, some mahogany Ive been working with, a flame maple/birdseye neck, and a wall display for a couple of my guitars.

EDIT: never did an acoustic, I have some friends that do EXTREMELY high end custom acoustics; as well as befriending frank falbo. If you need answers, I wont have them, but I can certainly help you out!
post #7 of 10 Old 11-17-2019, 12:19 AM

View DavidR8's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the reset and re-introduction. I appreciate your skills. And mess. I have one just like it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bob493 likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-17-2019, 12:37 AM

View homestd's Photo Album My Photos
I was a professional musician. I retired in 1989 and can recognize quality instruments. Yours look good, how do they play and sound? And good luck on the shop rebuild.
bob493 likes this.

Mother is the necessity of most invention.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-17-2019, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestd View Post
I was a professional musician. I retired in 1989 and can recognize quality instruments. Yours look good, how do they play and sound? And good luck on the shop rebuild.
My favorite guitar is this hack job parts guitar I made about 10 years ago lol. I am a HUGE stickler for setups. I cant make a squier sound like a 57' strat, but I can make it play as good as anything lol. Im in the "pickups and amp" matter more than wood on electrics camp, but by and large they all play and sound great. If they dont, I dont typically waste much time on them.

j custom vs my parts gio haha. I enjoy the dichotomy, and I love both of them very much.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-17-2019, 03:39 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome and those are nice guitars. Love the spalted wood! My shop is in a constant arrangement.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode