Admirer of Beautiful Woodwork, and Looking for a Craftmen Friend - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 11-23-2018, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

View AnnaOVincent's Photo Album My Photos
Admirer of Beautiful Woodwork, and Looking for a Craftmen Friend

I would love some advice on how to find a great woodworker, even a good carpenter. If not someone to do ornate woodwork on bookshelves, then at least someone to refinish cabinets well (sanding and painting). I’ve looked through businesses like major hardware stores, who hire sloppy subcontractors, but guarantee their work, to companies and individuals I’ve found online, even from reviewed sites like Angie’s List. Larger companies tend to overcharge and use subcontractors, and individuals often exaggerate their abilities and don’t guarantee their work. I’m at a loss on where to find someone great, or even someone good, but who is detail-oriented and willing to research and learn.

My grandfather was a wonderful craftsmen, who built everything from model ships to children’s toys to cabnitry. I loved his workshop, which smelled of cut wood and had wood shavings everywhere while he worked. He took pride in his work and admired beautiful woodwork he would see elsewhere, often in elegant homes and antiques. He was a carpenter for his job, but it was also a hobby, and he pushed himself to learn and experiment. To me, that is what I picture when I think of a craftsmen or artisan of woodwork. Finding someone like him, though, has proved difficult.

I’ve actually learned a bit about woodwork in the process of hiring so many different people, watching them work, and, too often, seeing how they fail. I research how it is supposed to be done, and learn. I am interested to learn more, but I would still love to find someone who is either talented and experienced, or talented and learning.

On my property, I have beautiful and private accommodations, in a secluded setting. I’ve even tried having a live-in arrangement, with someone living in the guest house and doing woodwork for the properties. There is much to do, so it seems the perfect idea! But, it has turned out to be only a daydream. I still think it’s possible, just hard to find, though having someone live on site is not at all a requirement. I simply want to find someone who does great work and, hopefully, can work on many projects over a longer period of time.

Well, this is long, so I apologize. As this is an introduction, I will share a bit about me. I’m in my early 30’s, no children (thus plenty of time to work on the home!), and I’m creative and detail-oriented. I love simple elegance, cool tones, dark-stained and tiger’s eye wood for furniture, hand-planked cedar roofing tiles, and old, knotted, wide, hand-planked wood for flooring. I grew up outside of Philadelphia, and love the old grey stone homes with beautiful original floors. I’m also a novice collector of old wooden farm tools, and sometimes unusual wood items—I have an old old pigeon carrier box I fixed up and everyone who sees it admires it. I love paints and experimenting with different types of paints and different colors, though generally cool tones. I also love good stone work. I am a bit of a hermit, though I often walk, hike, and swim with my beloved, well-trained, dog. I sometimes stay in log cabins in Blue Ridge and Gatlinburg, though I now live outside of Atlanta.

Last edited by difalkner; 11-23-2018 at 10:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-23-2018, 10:25 PM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
If you live near Atlanta I suggest you contact Highland Woodworking at 1045 N Highland Ave NE.

A highly reputable Woodworking store with classes on all kinds of subjects. If anyone can steer you to knowledgeable craftsmen in your area they can.

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-23-2018, 10:39 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum, Anna! When you get a minute complete your profile with location so it shows in the left panel.

Sounds like a neat opportunity for the right person. Post photos of your place if and when you feel comfortable doing so.

Good luck in your search!

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-23-2018, 11:32 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Have you tried Match.com?

Seriously, sounds like and ad that I might have written 40 years ago, roles reversed of course. If you found your soul mate who just happened to be a woodworker, that would be a perfect match. I would apply for your "position" but I'm 40 years too late.

Who knows, maybe you will have some luck here? Post some photos of the type of work you would like to have done and see what happens.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode