3/8 dowell into 3/8 drilled holes - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 11-06-2008, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

View Poppasun's Photo Album My Photos
3/8 dowell into 3/8 drilled holes

Howdy.... 1st time here. I'm a 60 plus former constructionist. Now, in retirement, am working with small crafty type projects. The problem I can't solve by using old technique of getting a bigger hammer is fitting 3/8 dowell into 3/8 drilled holes. It starts out Okay, but get's very tight as we progress alone the dowell. It becomes too tight to push futher along. Question is is there a lubricant that can be applied to the dowell that will enable it to slide on more easily?

Poppasun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-06-2008, 11:45 AM
No Longer Here

View user4178's Photo Album My Photos
Any type of lubricant that I can think of would probably make the dowel swell and even be tougher to get in. Are you sure you used the right size drill bit ? It wouldn't suprise me if the dowel was metric. How long is the dowel that your inserting ?
post #3 of 12 Old 11-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Nobody

View BHOFM's Photo Album My Photos
Is dowel as a fastener or component of the project?

If it is a fastener, a bit of glue will make it slide, and
then it is there.

if it is a component you may just need a bit larger
bit.

Another thing, if you are using a metal drilling bit
it leaves the hole a little under size when used in
wood, a brad point will make a more accurate hole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-06-2008, 12:46 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
That brad point advise is important.

A bar of soap (not wet) may do the trick. Just rub the dowel over the bar. Same trick I use to make running in a screw easier.

g
post #5 of 12 Old 11-06-2008, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppasun View Post
Howdy.... 1st time here. I'm a 60 plus former constructionist. Now, in retirement, am working with small crafty type projects. The problem I can't solve by using old technique of getting a bigger hammer is fitting 3/8 dowell into 3/8 drilled holes. It starts out Okay, but get's very tight as we progress alone the dowell. It becomes too tight to push futher along. Question is is there a lubricant that can be applied to the dowell that will enable it to slide on more easily?

Poppasun
I'm using a brad point bit... guess i'll try rubbing soap on it. thanks for the advice.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-06-2008, 02:58 PM

View Davet's Photo Album My Photos
If it's a joint you are connecting, try fluted dowels with
the brad point bit, they slide in easier. They also hold glue better.

Dave
post #7 of 12 Old 11-07-2008, 10:10 AM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davet View Post
If it's a joint you are connecting, try fluted dowels with
the brad point bit, they slide in easier. They also hold glue better.

Dave
Just what I was thinking.

You can flute your own dowel's by pounding them through the teeth of your pliers. Welcome to the forum. Red

Red
post #8 of 12 Old 11-07-2008, 01:32 PM

View toddj99's Photo Album My Photos
What I do is sand them a bit with with 150 grit. Just hold the paper down and move the dowel over it. I'll also do what was stated earlier and crimp them a bit with a pair of pliers to give a little more glue surface.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-07-2008, 03:38 PM

View Teenagewoodworker's Photo Album My Photos
well the problem is store bought dowels from a dowel rod are very inaccurate. they hold them to very low tolerances. i would try the fluted dowels. another way to flute them is clamp down on them in a metal vise.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-08-2008, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

dowell problem solved

Thanks to all who responded. Here's what happened. I am making wind spinners and have to drill holes in about 35 cuts of wood to slide over a 20" dowel. The soap helped. Even tho I used two brad point 3/8 drill bits, I think that the soft pine wood was the culprit. Some holes fit fine, some had to be wallowed out a bit to get over the dowel.
This was my first experience with this forum and the response was impressive and helpful. It's nice to know there are nice people around.
Thanks again.
Poppasun
post #11 of 12 Old 11-08-2008, 08:45 AM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
Quote:
Thanks to all who responded. Here's what happened. I am making wind spinners and have to drill holes in about 35 cuts of wood to slide over a 20" dowel. The soap helped. Even tho I used two brad point 3/8 drill bits, I think that the soft pine wood was the culprit. Some holes fit fine, some had to be wallowed out a bit to get over the dowel.
This was my first experience with this forum and the response was impressive and helpful. It's nice to know there are nice people around.
Thanks again.
Poppasun

Welcome to the forum Poppasun. I know what you are building, I watched my grandfather make a many of them. He used a forstner bit to drill his holes. His boards would slide down the dowel fairly easy then he shot a small brad through the boards to hold them in place.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #12 of 12 Old 11-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Journeyman Wood Butcher

View smitty1967's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Question is is there a lubricant that can be applied to the dowell that will enable it to slide on more easily?

Poppasun
Welcome home, Poppasun....glad to have you aboard.

The answer to your question, without trying to redesign your project for you, is: YES, there is a lubricant. Its called beeswax.

We used it all the time in shop class, many many moons ago in High School, and I still have a chunk of it today. It works wonders lubricating the shaft of a screw, for instance, without undermining the physical characteristics that make a screw work. I'd give it a try. Think the last time I bought mine it was at a local hardware store (read: not big-box store).

good luck, and let us know what you come up with.

regards,
smitty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode